Commanders trade WR Jahan Dotson to the Eagles. Would you have done this move if you ran the Bills?

Logic

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he is basically a replica of Samuel and we need outside guys. Like there is a price I'd have done it at a 4th and a 6th, maybe a 4th and a 5th (to keep him our of a divisional rivals clutches maybe that would have done it?) but he isn't worth a day 2 pick at this stage IMO. As was said by @DCOrange - I think if they didn't find a trade partner he was gonna be cut. 

Disagree. He’s best as a slot, but a much different player than Samuels. 
Dotson is a WR only, not a hybrid WR/RB. Dotson’s strengths are similar to Diggs or Shakir.  Footwork, route running, hands, and ball tracking. 

I would have made this trade, and I’m not nearly as down in our existing WR group as some posters.  I live in the DMV and follow the Commies. They’ve been a train wreck the past few years. Gotta at I’m surprised they gave up on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Either way...I wouldn't mind someone whose skillset mirrors Samuel's.

Samuel's skill set is unique anyways, I don't agree that Dotson would be redundant. Samuel is going to be a gadget/weapon in our offense. I don't think we really have a traditional Z on our roster unless that's what we're calling Keon.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I don't think we really have a traditional Z on our roster unless that's what we're calling Keon.

Agreed.

I was team "draft Xavier Worthy in round 1 and Javon Baker in round 4", thus putting talented guys in the pipeline at both X and Z. But here we are...

1 hour ago, Philo said:

Yeah, an in-division trade tells me that the Commanders believe he is a bust.

I don’t know his contracts terms like one year left.  He’s a secondary player so it’s not something I’m worried about in Washington where they are rebuilding with a new WB so won’t be competing for this season at all.

11 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Disagree. He’s best as a slot, but a much different player than Samuels. 
Dotson is a WR only, not a hybrid WR/RB. Dotson’s strengths are similar to Diggs or Shakir.  Footwork, route running, hands, and ball tracking. 

I would have made this trade, and I’m not nearly as down in our existing WR group as some posters.  I live in the DMV and follow the Commies. They’ve been a train wreck the past few years. Gotta at I’m surprised they gave up on him. 

But you also have a bias when it comes to Dotson are liked him much more than me coming out. I think the evidence so far is very much in my favour. I agree he can't do all the things Samuel can and is probably a more natural route runner, but position wise he is a slot with Z flex. That was my point. I am not sure you are getting them both on the field. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

At the right price, possibly. But he is another Curtis Samuel IMO. He really belongs in the slot but can play some outside. He was massively overdrafted but nobody wanted to hear it.

but a much cheaper contract than Samuel. 

I haven’t seen enough of his play to have a major opinion but a 3 for a 5 to get a guy with at least some chops seems not insurmountable in cost 

admittedly not a student of his game but did bring him up a couple times in the last week as a realistic option and curious about opinions 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But you also have a bias when it comes to Dotson are liked him much more than me coming out. I think the evidence so far is very much in my favour. I agree he can't do all the things Samuel can and is probably a more natural route runner, but position wise he is a slot with Z flex. That was my point. I am not sure you are getting them both on the field. 

Ok. Agree to disagree. I think eagles will use Dotson mostly at Z and Davonte Smith as their slot. I guess we’ll see. 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

but a much cheaper contract than Samuel. 

I haven’t seen enough of his play to have a major opinion but a 3 for a 5 to get a guy with at least some chops seems not insurmountable in cost 

admittedly not a student of his game but did bring him up a couple times in the last week as a realistic option and curious about opinions 

It is the 3 I wouldn't do. If they'd have been willing to take a 4 and a 5 I might have done it. 

I get he is cheaper than Samuel but my question is more how do you get both on the field at the same time (and Shakir)? I think our need is more for a true outside guy.

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Ok. Agree to disagree. I think eagles will use Dotson mostly at Z and Davonte Smith as their slot. I guess we’ll see. 

They will use Dotson as their slot. I'd be absolutely shocked if they did anything else. Moving Smith to play Dotson wide on a regular basis would be borderline insanity.

The Bills have a slot receiver who is already better than Dotson.     Dotson is average to below average in everyway.   Average size, average speed for a player his size, below average hands.      I wish there was a good outside wideout available for trade but the names out there aren't very good. 

• Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I've come to terms with the idea that the Bills just all in on the Kincaid/Knox idea, with Kincaid being the "guy".  A lot of very good teams have had success with this model, but we basically need Coleman to break out into something very good to special. 

I agree with this.  After renegotiation, we can’t get out of knoxs contract til after next season.  So two years running a heavy dose of 12.  Heavy sets that have multiple threats in the pass game.  Keeping the opposition guessing.  Confusion is the key.  Can Brady cause that confusion?  That’ll probably have more influence on our success than anything else not named Josh Allen.

i just hope Kincaid can continue to get bigger and stronger every season. He’s going to take a pounding.  In college, he routinely showed off his the ability to avoid big hits.  He didn’t last season.  He thought he was Earl Campbell at times.  Currently suffering from injury PTSD 😢 

Regarding Coleman- a couple thoughts-

I see him kind of like Elam.  Elam was a press man corner with not much zone exp.  They planned on developing his Zone ability in time due to his physical being.  
Keon has had his best separation out of the slot.  We don’t need another slot, we need an outside guy. but because he has the physical attributes they desire on the outside (specifically- run blocking size) they are hoping he can be developed.  Hopefully it won’t take as long as Elam.  

- if he can’t develop into someone that can get separation deep, Josh is happy to have a guy that can (hopefully) be open even when covered-  if he can throw it to a spot only Coleman can reach.  

-I think he’s really going to shine in scramble drill plays.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Regarding Coleman- a couple thoughts-

I see him kind of like Elam.  Elam was a press man corner with not much zone exp.  They planned on developing his Zone ability in time due to his physical being.  
Keon has had his best separation out of the slot.  We don’t need another slot, we need an outside guy. but because he has the physical attributes they desire on the outside (specifically- run blocking size) they are hoping he can be developed.  Hopefully it won’t take as long as Elam.  

- if he can’t develop into someone that can get separation deep, Josh is happy to have a guy that can (hopefully) be open even when covered-  if he can throw it to a spot only Coleman can reach.  

-I think he’s really going to shine in scramble drill plays.  

Interesting analogy with the comparison to Elam.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the 3 I wouldn't do. If they'd have been willing to take a 4 and a 5 I might have done it. 

I get he is cheaper than Samuel but my question is more how do you get both on the field at the same time (and Shakir)? I think our need is more for a true outside guy.

They will use Dotson as their slot. I'd be absolutely shocked if they did anything else. Moving Smith to play Dotson wide on a regular basis would be borderline insanity.

Ahh...

Not exactly sure it would be crazy to play Dotson as Z and Smith in slot.  Smith played about 1/3 of snaps in slot last year.

Here's a couple data points.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/devonta-smith-15406

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I’ll admit that with Samuel being dinged up already and expected to take some carries that come with increased injury risk 

plus the fact we are hoping shakir and Samuel both play at their ceilings 

and I’ve seen varying takes on Dotson outside 

I’d be ok with a little extra insurance. I’ve said since May that my biggest worry is Samuel gets hurt early leaving Keon-shakir-hollins at wr and suddenly Josh starts having to shoulder extra hits in September. 

like you said though - just a cost analysis and sounds like you aren’t drastically off on it albeit not doing the existing trade.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

why is trading in the division such a big deal? You make the best trade you can. That is so overrated

Id say mostly for the fear if you’re assessment of the player was wrong you could look like a real fool trading the player to a division rival, even more do imo rather than a different division or conference.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Been lots of talk of the Eagles using Smith out of the slot a lot in Kellen Moore's offense this year. 

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-fallout-immediate-takeaways-after-commanders-trade-wr-jahan-dotson-to-eagles

Over the last three seasons, Smith has averaged 2.48 yards per route run from the slot compared to 1.65 when lined up out wide. Last season, Olamide Zaccheaus led the Eagles in wide receiver snaps from the slot (304), with Quez Watkins and Julio Jones also playing 100-plus snaps each. None of the other wide receivers in Philadelphia earned a receiving grade above 65.0 from the slot, while Smith graded at 77.7.

The Eagles initially planned for DeVante Parker to be their third wide receiver, but he retired in May. Parker primarily played on the outside, which could have shifted DeVonta Smith to the slot.

Now, it looks like Dotson will be the third receiver for Philadelphia, and he has spent 65% of his career snaps lined up out wide. While the Commanders experimented with him in the slot this preseason, Ainias Smith will likely lead the team in snaps from the slot this season.

The Eagles hired Kellen Moore as their offensive coordinator this offseason, which brings an exciting prospect for DeVonta Smith. Moore has a history of success with top wide receivers in his offenses, which could bode well for Smith's continued development and production in Philadelphia.

In Moore's offense, Dallas' CeeDee Lamb typically lined up as the X receiver in the Cowboys' two-receiver sets and in the slot in three-receiver sets, which is the best role for PPR scoring. Lamb finished as the WR19 in 2021 and WR5 in 2022.

Last season, when Moore was with the Los Angeles Chargers, Keenan Allen typically played as the Z in base and then the slot in three-receiver sets, and he finished at WR8. Allen was the X in base at times last season and had the X role in base in past seasons. That role, which Smith hopefully takes on, seems like a clear path to a top-10 season.

30 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahh...

Not exactly sure it would be crazy to play Dotson as Z and Smith in slot.  Smith played about 1/3 of snaps in slot last year.

Here's a couple data points.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/devonta-smith-15406

Still crazy. Slot production is easier to get. You get more free releases. So taking a superior player who gets half a yard more per route ran outside off the boundary just because he might have an even bigger advantage over the inferior player in the slot once he gets a free release would be dumb. 

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll admit that with Samuel being dinged up already and expected to take some carries that come with increased injury risk 

plus the fact we are hoping shakir and Samuel both play at their ceilings 

and I’ve seen varying takes on Dotson outside 

I’d be ok with a little extra insurance. I’ve said since May that my biggest worry is Samuel gets hurt early leaving Keon-shakir-hollins at wr and suddenly Josh starts having to shoulder extra hits in September. 

like you said though - just a cost analysis and sounds like you aren’t drastically off on it albeit not doing the existing trade.

Yea there is a price I'd have been in on it. Not quite this price given the current makeup of our room. 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

A small, speed receiver that hasn't really stayed healthy or all that productive? Isn't this basically KJ Hamler?

Dotson has played in 25 straight games.  Hamler has played in 23 games total in his 4 year career.  Dotson has 11 TDs in his 2 year career.  Hamler has 3 in his 4 year career.  They aren’t similar in any meaningful way other than both being WRs from Penn State.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills have a slot receiver who is already better than Dotson. 

Who?