Commanders trade WR Jahan Dotson to the Eagles. Would you have done this move if you ran the Bills?

Logic

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Jeudy and Dotson were both guys I would've made moves for.

Marvin Mims -- who was a 2nd round pick just last year and seems to have fallen somewhat out of favor with Sean Payton's staff -- would be another.

I have the sneaking suspicion they won't be trading for a WR, but like you, I certainly wish they would.

Dotson has more receiving yards over the past 2 seasons than anyone on our roster other than Samuel... Beggers can't be choosers.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Dotson has more receiving yards over the past 2 seasons than anyone on our roster other than Samuel... Beggers can't be choosers.

But he is basically a replica of Samuel and we need outside guys. Like there is a price I'd have done it at a 4th and a 6th, maybe a 4th and a 5th (to keep him our of a divisional rivals clutches maybe that would have done it?) but he isn't worth a day 2 pick at this stage IMO. As was said by @DCOrange - I think if they didn't find a trade partner he was gonna be cut. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s too high of a price for him. He’s a decent player and could have helped us. He’s probably the 5th pass catching option in Philly. They are loaded with weapons. 

This. 

If your 3rd, 4th and 5th receivers are better than the defense’s 3rd, 4th and 5th DBs, you’re gonna eat. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You didn't like the signings of any of the wr this offseason and now you want to give up 3 picks including a 3rd rounder in next years draft for a guy who is essentially not as good as samuel and also is a guy who has called out his organization which means if he is unhappy he is going to be a pain.

Seems like weird logic.  If this years wr group struggles so much and it turns into the disaster so many here say it will be wouldn't the best move be to have as many picks next year and cap space as possible so they can make a big move in the offseason and then maybe again in the draft?

seems like giving up those picks right now is bad business and will hurt the teams abilities next spring to make moves for much better players.

• Like (+1) 1

Hell no!  The last thing we need is another slot WR. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We can when we’re talking about trading for a slot WR…..and we’re loaded with slot WRs

Edited by NewEra

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he is basically a replica of Samuel and we need outside guys. Like there is a price I'd have done it at a 4th and a 6th, maybe a 4th and a 5th (to keep him our of a divisional rivals clutches maybe that would have done it?) but he isn't worth a day 2 pick at this stage IMO. As was said by @DCOrange - I think if they didn't find a trade partner he was gonna be cut. 

So that is fair. I see him as a Z, not just a strict slot, and to me he would be a possible upgrade at that position on our roster, and at the very least give us upside there. That being said I admit this all comes out of a sense of desperation about the position.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So that is fair. I see him as a Z, not just a strict slot, and to me he would be a possible upgrade at that position on our roster, and at the very least give us upside there. That being said I admit this all comes out of a sense of desperation about the position.

I think he is a slot with some Z flex. But that is also what we just gave Curtis Samuel $8m per to do isn't it? I'm not sure he has shown anything to be an upgrade on Samuel. Indeed they were on the same team last year and Samuel had more targets, more receptions and more yards. I'd not have been against an early day 3 pick as a gamble on upside. But unless Samuel's turf toe is serious I don't know that I'd have been giving up more than that. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

seems like a good deal for both teams.  what's the issue?

It is. I think it makes a lot of sense for the Eagles, he can be a slot only in that offense with two studs getting the majority of coverage attention outside. And for Washington getting a day 2 pick back for a selection of the last regime who you don't see as a fit that is a good result. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I would be all over that, if the Giants are even interested in trading Slayton.

at the moment I do not think they are, he is their number 4.  

I do wonder though since they refused to give him a new contract if they would move him on cut day if someone like buffalo offered a 4.

If they did do it I would want them to extend him for like two years.  He would be a great home run hitter here and his speed would be a great asset.

• Agree 1

Dotson is a good football player, but as stated above, the Bills' needs are on the outside.  I assume that they don't see Samuel's injury as long-term, or they may have been in on a move like this.  Let's hope that's true.

I think that a good strategy for the Bills is to find WRs who have talent and pedigree, but have been on bad teams and/or played with bad QBs.  Their numbers would be well below their potential, so they can be had for reasonable salaries that fit under the Bills' cap and pairing them with Josh Allen could lead to them breaking out.  I believe that's what they've done with Samuel, and to some extent, tried to do with Claypool.  MVS is NOT in that category, as he's played with some excellent QBs in the past (Rodgers, Mahomes), so there's no hidden potential there to be tapped by playing with Allen - he is who we thought he is.  It would be nice for the Bills to acquire a top-end $20-$20M WR, but the cap space this season does not allow for it.  

Edited by msw2112

I dont mind the price, the cap hit I think is 1.5 or 2mm (assuming signing bonus amort goes to original team, not a capologist at all) but I feel like if I am GM, I am not parting with picks less than a week before cutdown day unless I am really adding a sure thing, he seems like he is like a lot of the folks we already have. 

I've come to terms with the idea that the Bills just all in on the Kincaid/Knox idea, with Kincaid being the "guy".  A lot of very good teams have had success with this model, but we basically need Coleman to break out into something very good to special. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

You didn't like the signings of any of the wr this offseason

That's not true, I really liked the Curtis Samuel signing. He was one of the WRs I advocated for even before free agency started. But I still think we are thin at the position and would love to add good depth with upside if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree that he is not strictly a slot.

I think the Eagles will be employing him as the Z and using Devonta Smith as the slot in Kellen Moore's offense. Or, more likely, Smith and Dotson will be interchangeable as the Z and slot.

Either way...I wouldn't mind someone whose skillset mirrors Samuel's. For one thing, Samuel has turf toe, and having someone that could replace his important role in the offense would be nice. For another, if Samuel DOES stay healthy, I don't see the downside in having two diverse, interchangeable Z/slot types in the offense instead of just one.

Oh well. Moot point now. Bills stand pat...again.

It's a pretty big red flag when a division rival trades with you

Dotson is a PSU guy, which is why Philly thinks he might be worth taking a shot on 

A small, speed receiver that hasn't really stayed healthy or all that productive? Isn't this basically KJ Hamler?

• Like (+1) 1

If you believe we’re a team in transition like a lot of you think , then why would we dip into a day 2 selection for an underachieving WR when we have 10 picks next year in another solid early evaluation pass catcher draft 

• Agree 1

Just now, BeastMaster said:

It's a pretty big red flag when a division rival trades with you

Dotson is a PSU guy, which is why Philly thinks he might be worth taking a shot on 

A small, speed receiver that hasn't really stayed healthy or all that productive? Isn't this basically KJ Hamler?

Philly does it a lot actually.  They seemingly trade with Dallas on draft day every year.  

If both sides are confident in their beliefs it shouldn't matter that the team is in your division. 

From Washington's perspective they got a 3rd round pick from the eagles, which might be philly's or miami's 3 whoever ends up worse they will take that pick.  So they got a really good asset and removed a player they did not think fit in with either their system or their locker room or something...so from their perspective they dumped a guy on the eagles and got a 3rd round pick back.