Players that we might trade instead of release at cutdown

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane and Co. Made tough decisions to pull the trigger and move on from Vets this offseason. They need to wake up and cut Bass.  He cost us games last year inc the Divisional playoff game against KC. He was only 57% all last week and that is as horrible as you can get as an NFL kicker. Let someone else try to rehab him.

Perhaps the smarter thing is to sign another kicker to the PS and call them up similar to what Belichick did with Kickers a few years ago. Granted if they play more than 3 game they need to be added to active roster. 

Here's a list of guys that could be out there: https://www.hogshaven.com/2024/8/13/24218909/who-are-the-best-nfl-kickers-likely-to-be-cut-this-year-washington-commanders

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Clapp and Jonathan are the only two candidates I can see. Would they keep Collins because he is worth nothing in a trade but trade Clapp cos he might return you a 6th or 7th?

You think they could pull off a trade for a WR?  Like Knox for someone? Not sure how realistic my thought is. 

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Spencer Brown could return some serious value. Roll with van demark on the cheap for three years as another shiny asset is grown from scratch in the Kromer lab. 

Interesting suggestion. If you were going to do that it should have been a few weeks ago. In a perfect world, Brown would get a nice raise but not get paid top dollar. However there is usually some team that has cap to burn and overpays. See Jax and Davis. 

Pry the first time since 2021 where it's more likely we trade for someone on another roster than somebody else trades for one of our guys come cut down day.  I doubt we do either though.

Think about the kind of player we might hope the Bills could trade for versus the kind of player we might hope to pick up via free agency after cut.  Other teams have the same thoughts.  Most of the players on the OP's list are the kind of players teams will hope to sign if they hit the waiver wire.  My guess is the Bills will be fortunate if they can make one trade.  I agree, experienced linemen are probably the most tradeable commodity.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Spencer Brown could return some serious value. Roll with van demark on the cheap for three years as another shiny asset is grown from scratch in the Kromer lab. 

They pry would've done this before training camp as the #1 OL from all reports have been the same five guys all off-season.  You need that cohesion especially given the adjustment period that's going to happen between Allen and the WR's.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Many years at cutdown time, Beane has been able to trade players that might not make the team for late round draft picks, instead of losing them for nothing

The recent rash of Injuries notwithstanding, it's always an interesting exercise to think about who might be candidates for outbound trades before Tuesday's cutdown

At least going into training camp, the feeling was that this was a deep talented team, with a ton of rookies that we want to keep and develop, and decent vendor depth to also battle for spots.  As I mentioned, injuries have certainly impacted this discussion, but I still think there's a good amount of candidates, especially in the position groups that haven't been hit has hard so far

Will Clapp - he's probably the 10th OL, so it largely depends on if the staff decides that they need a seasoned vet in a backup role, as our 6th-9th lineman currently are likely all rookies or unseasoned players (Vandemark, SVPG, Anderson, Grable)

La'el Collins - similar to Clapp, but probably less likely that we could get a draft pick for a guy who's probably washed up

DeShawn Williams - personally I want to keep 5 DT's, but there might not be room if other position groups need more depth

Casey Toohill - has really not had a chance to show much, but even then, he really has zero chance to make the team with what Solomon has showed so far

Ty Johnson - definitely a longshot, but RB's are a dime a dozen and I'd be willing to see what Evans or Gore Jr could bring.  But who actually trades for RB's?

Joe Andreessen - the board would likely implode, but it would be something to see...

Every year there is the Duke Williams award given to the player who if he's cut by Beane will get grabbed up another team but in end doesn't and instead ends up on the Bills PS.

Joe Andreessen will be this years run away winner!

Admittedly he had looked very good and with the injuries at LB, good chance he makes the 53 so we may never know.

But past experiences show the front offices of teams have a better understanding of what an NFL player really looks like as these guys every year aren't often picked up.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Given the Bills injury situation, I doubt anyone is getting traded, but it's possible.  Jonathan and Clapp seem the most likely candidates.  We may acquire someone in trade, but I don't see anyone going out in trade.

Areas to watch 

1) QB - Trubisky to IR, someone else to PS and then that player activated as the week 1 backup.  I can see a wavier claim or trade acquisition here.

2) WR - Shavers and/or Hamler to the PS if management thinks Samuel and MVS are ready for week 1

3) TE - Morris looks headed to IR - Davidson could make the roster 

4) OL - I think they go with 9.  Clapp to the PS and Collins Cut.  If they keep 10, Clapp makes the team.  This is the one player I can see having trade value

5) DE - If they keep only 5 Jonathan to the PS.  My guess is they keep 6 and only 4 DTs.  

6) DT - D Williams is the odd man out.  Not sure he has any trade value

7) LB - I think they could keep 6.  Ulofoshio to IR for the season (like Shorter last year).  Milano as well.  Andreessen makes the squad

8.) CB - I think they keep 6 with Ingram and Hardy making the team (Lewis makes it as a safety)

9) S - Jackson to the PS - 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Just going to have Elam ride the pine another season though?  Given Beane has traded the likes of Sammy Watkins or Ronald Darby away, wouldn’t shock me if he does the same with Elam to at least get some kind of pick in return.  Don’t know that the rest of our DB room has much trade value, but we seem to have a pretty deep CB room and I don’t know how much better Elam is versus the rest of the backups.

CB is maybe our thinnest position on the whole team right now.  We don't have a single proven player behind our starters.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

CB is maybe our thinnest position on the whole team right now.  We don't have a single proven player behind our starters.

Like you said earlier in this thread, several of the backups have been showing real well in camp.  If the team really likes what they see and don’t want to cut some of these “unproven” guys, Beane might see value in flipping Elam at this point.

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Like you said earlier in this thread, several of the backups have been showing real well in camp.  If the team really likes what they see and don’t want to cut some of these “unproven” guys, Beane might see value in flipping Elam at this point.

I do like what I have seen in camp and preseason from some of our deeper guys, but they are still untested with only Rasul and Benford proven players.  I am not saying they won't trade Elam, but I do feel like he is playing well enough that they may prefer to keep him this year given it leaves them with a lot of mystery behind Rasul and Benford in the event of an injury.  And its a defense already trying to adjust to a whole new group of safeties and life without Milano too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Speaking of DB whisperers, don't look now, but Jahleel Addae as DBs coach may have been one of the bigger underrated hires of the year for the Bills.

Jahmil Addae is Bills DB coach.  Jahleel is 6 years younger and played S for the Colts.   

• Like (+1) 1

With the injuries this year, I don't see much chance for trades.  While I very much need to see Elam do well in multiple regular season games to become a believer, I don't think he has enough trade value to make it worthwhile.  He still has the tools to be successful if he can get his habits (hands) and head right.

Edited by notpolian