Players that we might trade instead of release at cutdown

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Just going to have Elam ride the pine another season though?  Given Beane has traded the likes of Sammy Watkins or Ronald Darby away, wouldn’t shock me if he does the same with Elam to at least get some kind of pick in return.  Don’t know that the rest of our DB room has much trade value, but we seem to have a pretty deep CB room and I don’t know how much better Elam is versus the rest of the backups.

Kyle Allen sucks. You would be trading a talented player for a backup QB. Are you insane? 

Kyle Allen will win as many games as Ben Dinucci as a starting QB for this team. There is no value in trading an asset for him. None

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ka’iir Elam to Pittsburgh, for Kyle Allen and a pick.  For all the injuries we’ve had, thinking the CB room is one where someone solid will need to be released unless there’s a trade.  And this helps to bolster our backup QB situation.

the problem is Kyle Allen is probably just as bad as trubisky. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Speaking of DB whisperers, don't look now, but Jahleel Addae as DBs coach may have been one of the bigger underrated hires of the year for the Bills. He seems to be working wonders. We now appear to have a deep and versatile CB depth chart. Who'da thunk it?!

This right here...absolutely.  To be honest, I almost started a thread on him and how he may have been the best addition that no one is talking about.  I am still personally a little concerned with depth a bit if injuries occur because so much is unproven in real games behind our starters, but I am definitely less concerned than I was when camp started as we have seen these guys have strong camps and preseasons so far.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Kyle Allen sucks. You would be trading a talented player for a backup QB. Are you insane? 

Kyle Allen will win as many games as Ben Dinucci as a starting QB for this team. There is no value in trading an asset for him. None

The larger value is in whatever pick Beane can get for Elam.  What round pick do you think is worth it to trade Elam for?

47 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think we have less depth than past years. I don’t expect any trades like this.

this is true everywhere I think except on the offensive line.  I have a feeling they are going to put collins and another player on the practice squad and then go long at the position.

Teams will move day 3 pics for lineman on both sides of the ball so they can avoid the waiver line.  Last year Beane got a 6 (2025) for Basham.  

Yea I don’t know if there are many that teams would be interested in Clapp if he has any value because I think it’s worth putting Gouriage on the 53 and Jonathan because he might have some Boogie Basham type late round value. 

I think it’s much more likely we use some of that late round capital to add to a position.  Maybe a Cam Lewis or a Mike Edwards but I think that’s a long shot esp with all the injuries 

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ka’iir Elam to Pittsburgh, for Kyle Allen and a pick.  For all the injuries we’ve had, thinking the CB room is one where someone solid will need to be released unless there’s a trade.  And this helps to bolster our backup QB situation.

Christian Benford has been injury-prone his entire career. 

Rasul Douglas has a void option in his contract and will likely be a free agent next year.

I have a feeling that Elam will play a lot this year, play very well, and eventually become the full-time starter.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That would be a horrendous trade

Unless the pick was in the 1st or 2nd round....but, realistically, yes, Elam for Kyle Allen and a late round draft pick is not a good trade.  Elam finally seems to be developing into the player he was drafted to be, and the Bills have invested heavily in his development.  And Kyle Allen is not very good.  He's not beating out Russell Wilson or Justin Fields (despite neither being very good) and he may well be available for nothing in the next couple of weeks, and the Bills still might not be interested.

Edited by msw2112

I could see Knox , Hollins, Clapp, DeShawn Williams, and Elam as ones who could bring assets back with only a minor potential downgrade at the position. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the problem is Kyle Allen is probably just as bad as trubisky. 

agreed and in the end if Allen is out for an extended period of time we are screwed anyways with either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Elam is interesting.  I’d prefer to keep him but he’s probably the only guy you’d get something if value in return for like a similar highly drafted WR who hasn’t broke through yet.  

I would prefer to let him play this year out for sure as well...  I am not down on Knox either, but I think he fetches a price if you think that Morris and Davidson come close to filling that gap.... but trading him could produce a huge cap hit too... so its just theoretical.

2 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Ka’iir Elam is only traded if there is another team with player who Bills believe have potential but is floundering on other team.

Bills have done this in past but with different front offices.

Flipping him for a WR wouldn’t be the craziest thing I’ve ever heard.  It’s a creative idea.  I’m not in favor of moving on.  But if we had to, I had also wondered about the idea of using him as a vehicle to move some bad money off of the roster.  I was specifically thinking of Bass, but with the acceleration of cap dollars that would flow from a trade I just don’t think that would work.  

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah, Hardy has been a revelation.

If there's one thing this scouting and coaching staff seem to know how to do, it's find incredibly capable corners on day three and in UDFA. 

Taron Johnson, Levi Wallace, Christian Benford, Alex Austin, Nick McCloud, and now Daequan Hady.

Funnily enough, I saw Hardy's size and body type and thought to myself "this guy is just gonna be a returner". He didn't match the typical size and body type, and Taron Johnson is locked in as the nickel for the forseeable future. Then the kid actually started playing.

He has been INCREDIBLY impressive both inside and outside, and is now -- as someone else said on this forum recently -- gonna be making this roster as a CORNER. His inside-outside versatility will make him a very valuable piece, and he has room to grow into a starting level player down the line. Another late round gem from Beane and co, once again capably coached by McDermott and his crew of DB whisperers.

Speaking of DB whisperers, don't look now, but Jahleel Addae as DBs coach may have been one of the bigger underrated hires of the year for the Bills. He seems to be working wonders. We now appear to have a deep and versatile CB depth chart. Who'da thunk it?!

Having followed Hardy’s career in college, I think he’s a better CB than returner. He was PSU starting PR for only half the season, so I’m guessing the PSU staff thought the other guy was better. And Hardy did have 2 TDs but both against the UMass powerhouse. 

As a CB, Hardy is a dog. Really sticky without being grabby. Reminds me of Nikel Robey. Hardy is also a surprisingly good blitzer, had a few sacks as I recall. 

• Thank you (+1) 1