Players that we might trade instead of release at cutdown

Many years at cutdown time, Beane has been able to trade players that might not make the team for late round draft picks, instead of losing them for nothing

The recent rash of Injuries notwithstanding, it's always an interesting exercise to think about who might be candidates for outbound trades before Tuesday's cutdown

At least going into training camp, the feeling was that this was a deep talented team, with a ton of rookies that we want to keep and develop, and decent vendor depth to also battle for spots.  As I mentioned, injuries have certainly impacted this discussion, but I still think there's a good amount of candidates, especially in the position groups that haven't been hit has hard so far

Will Clapp - he's probably the 10th OL, so it largely depends on if the staff decides that they need a seasoned vet in a backup role, as our 6th-9th lineman currently are likely all rookies or unseasoned players (Vandemark, SVPG, Anderson, Grable)

La'el Collins - similar to Clapp, but probably less likely that we could get a draft pick for a guy who's probably washed up

DeShawn Williams - personally I want to keep 5 DT's, but there might not be room if other position groups need more depth

Casey Toohill - has really not had a chance to show much, but even then, he really has zero chance to make the team with what Solomon has showed so far

Ty Johnson - definitely a longshot, but RB's are a dime a dozen and I'd be willing to see what Evans or Gore Jr could bring.  But who actually trades for RB's?

Joe Andreessen - the board would likely implode, but it would be something to see...

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think there is any way that we can release Andreessen now.  

His story is too good and he looked excellent last week.  I know it's preseason but that type of play earns a 53 and a back up spot.  Especially since Spector is never healthy.

He will not make it to PS and the Bills know that.  So its either 53 or nothing.  If Dorian Williams sucks and we don't have Andreessen......explosions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

44 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Many years at cutdown time, Beane has been able to trade players that might not make the team for late round draft picks, instead of losing them for nothing

The recent rash of Injuries notwithstanding, it's always an interesting exercise to think about who might be candidates for outbound trades before Tuesday's cutdown

At least going into training camp, the feeling was that this was a deep talented team, with a ton of rookies that we want to keep and develop, and decent vendor depth to also battle for spots.  As I mentioned, injuries have certainly impacted this discussion, but I still think there's a good amount of candidates, especially in the position groups that haven't been hit has hard so far

Will Clapp - he's probably the 10th OL, so it largely depends on if the staff decides that they need a seasoned vet in a backup role, as our 6th-9th lineman currently are likely all rookies or unseasoned players (Vandemark, SVPG, Anderson, Grable)

La'el Collins - similar to Clapp, but probably less likely that we could get a draft pick for a guy who's probably washed up

DeShawn Williams - personally I want to keep 5 DT's, but there might not be room if other position groups need more depth

Casey Toohill - has really not had a chance to show much, but even then, he really has zero chance to make the team with what Solomon has showed so far

Ty Johnson - definitely a longshot, but RB's are a dime a dozen and I'd be willing to see what Evans or Gore Jr could bring.  But who actually trades for RB's?

Joe Andreessen - the board would likely implode, but it would be something to see...

Agree on possibility of Clapp.  The other guy I was thinking of was Kingsley Jonathan.  Solomon appears to be ahead of him on depth chart.  If they don't keep 6 DEs, it looks like Jonathan is odd man out.  Some team will claim him if cut imo

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ka’iir Elam to Pittsburgh, for Kyle Allen and a pick.  For all the injuries we’ve had, thinking the CB room is one where someone solid will need to be released unless there’s a trade.  And this helps to bolster our backup QB situation.

I agree. You have to wonder how long this First Rounder is going to flounder in a back up roll before some team decides a change of scenery is all that’s required. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ka’iir Elam to Pittsburgh, for Kyle Allen and a pick.  For all the injuries we’ve had, thinking the CB room is one where someone solid will need to be released unless there’s a trade.  And this helps to bolster our backup QB situation.

I thought Kaiir was a trade candidate prior to camp and the preseason, but I don't think he is any more.

The coaching staff and front office have shown a lot of patience with him, and now it FINALLY seems to be paying off, as reports out of camp suggest he was routinely making plays and was rotating with Benford as a starter.

It just doesn't make sense to me to invest three years of patience and development into a first round pick, and then when he's FINALLY starting to show something, to ship him off for a 5th or 6th round pick.

I think the following corners all make the roster:

Douglas
Benford
Elam
Johnson
Ingram
Hardy

If one of them DOESN'T make the final roster, I expect it to be Ingram. The other guys are all locks, IMO.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 9

Beane and Co. Made tough decisions to pull the trigger and move on from Vets this offseason. They need to wake up and cut Bass.  He cost us games last year inc the Divisional playoff game against KC. He was only 57% all last week and that is as horrible as you can get as an NFL kicker. Let someone else try to rehab him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

He has no value in trade IMHO

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I thought Kaiir was a trade candidate prior to camp and the preseason, but I don't think he is any more.

The coaching staff and front office have shown a lot of patience with him, and now it FINALLY seems to be paying off, as reports out of camp suggest he was routinely making plays and was rotating with Benford as a starter.

It just doesn't make sense to me to invest three years of patience and development into a first round pick, and then when he's FINALLY starting to show something, to ship him off for a 5th or 6th round pick.

I think the following corners all make the roster:

Douglas
Benford
Elam
Johnson
Ingram
Hardy

If one of them DOESN'T make the final roster, I expect it to be Ingram. The other guys are all locks, IMO.

I agree, I thought coming into camp Elam needed to flash to stay both in competition and on this roster by week 1.  If he didn't show significant progress I thought Beane would look to move him before his value all buy disappeared by sitting and not playing a 3rd year.

But he came out strong in OTA's and built on that in camp to where he is legitimately competing to start after a very good camp and looked good in preseason too.  And my biggest concern on the whole team entering camp was CB depth as we had nothing to be confident in behind the top 3 guys, so any injuries things would get sketchy.  So between his strong showing and being this close to the start of the season, I doubt they would trade Elam now.  

Side note:  I agree with your list too.  Hardy is for sure making the roster IMHO, he has played well at CB even on the outside despite his smaller size.  

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

That would be a horrendous trade

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 18

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That would be a horrendous trade

Just going to have Elam ride the pine another season though?  Given Beane has traded the likes of Sammy Watkins or Ronald Darby away, wouldn’t shock me if he does the same with Elam to at least get some kind of pick in return.  Don’t know that the rest of our DB room has much trade value, but we seem to have a pretty deep CB room and I don’t know how much better Elam is versus the rest of the backups.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Hell no on Andreessen.  Promising player and you wouldn't get much for him since the other team would say he's wholly unproven.

As it stands, the entire draft class plus Andreessen, minus Ulofoshio and Clayton, have a real shot to make the 53 man roster.  Not a bad draft class.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Side note:  I agree with your list too.  Hardy is for sure making the roster IMHO, he has played well at CB even on the outside despite his smaller size.  

Yeah, Hardy has been a revelation.

If there's one thing this scouting and coaching staff seem to know how to do, it's find incredibly capable corners on day three and in UDFA. 

Taron Johnson, Levi Wallace, Christian Benford, Alex Austin, Nick McCloud, and now Daequan Hady.

Funnily enough, I saw Hardy's size and body type and thought to myself "this guy is just gonna be a returner". He didn't match the typical size and body type, and Taron Johnson is locked in as the nickel for the forseeable future. Then the kid actually started playing.

He has been INCREDIBLY impressive both inside and outside, and is now -- as someone else said on this forum recently -- gonna be making this roster as a CORNER. His inside-outside versatility will make him a very valuable piece, and he has room to grow into a starting level player down the line. Another late round gem from Beane and co, once again capably coached by McDermott and his crew of DB whisperers.

Speaking of DB whisperers, don't look now, but Jahleel Addae as DBs coach may have been one of the bigger underrated hires of the year for the Bills. He seems to be working wonders. We now appear to have a deep and versatile CB depth chart. Who'da thunk it?!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Just going to have Elam ride the pine another season though?  Given Beane has traded the likes of Sammy Watkins or Ronald Darby away, wouldn’t shock me if he does the same with Elam to at least get some kind of pick in return.  Don’t know that the rest of our DB room has much trade value, but we seem to have a pretty deep CB room and I don’t know how much better Elam is versus the rest of the backups.

Ride the pine for another season?  Dude played in 13 games in 2022 and 3 more in 2023.  Most importantly he has played in 3 playoff games with 2 INT and 3 PBU.  I dont see that as riding the pine.  Lastly Watkins and Darby were not Beane picks so he moved on from the quicker.  Basham would be the better example imo but I think Elam has shown significantly more upside than Basham at a similar point in their careers.  

• Like (+1) 4