What's the deal with Mighty Taco these days?

BillsPride12

So first off I rarely ever eat it these days but every once in awhile when there's nothing to eat at the house I'll do a quick Mighty run.  It definitely does not hit the same as it did 20 years ago but the question is.....Did they actually change up their ingredients/recipes at some point or is it just a matter of taste buds changing over time?  As a kid Mighty absolutely slapped! But now it's just meh

I feel like there's gotta be somebody on the board who has a relative or something that worked at Mighty Taco and has the inside info on this

Maybe you got more particular/smarter about food.  

As a teenager spaghetti and meatballs at The Olive Garden seemed a great meal for me...  today uggh.  breadsticks and salad would be the only things I'd eat there if I would finally myself somehow in that place again.  

36 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

So first off I rarely ever eat it these days but every once in awhile when there's nothing to eat at the house I'll do a quick Mighty run.  It definitely does not hit the same as it did 20 years ago but the question is.....Did they actually change up their ingredients/recipes at some point or is it just a matter of taste buds changing over time?  As a kid Mighty absolutely slapped! But now it's just meh

I feel like there's gotta be somebody on the board who has a relative or something that worked at Mighty Taco and has the inside info on this

Blasphemy!  This is a must stop when I am in town. Is it great absolutely not. but it is what I remember it to be.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Agree 2

A wing reviewer (from Maryland) that shows up on my IG feed went to Buffalo to review the wings of course.  He also did a review of Mighty Taco since it’s such a Buffalo thing to try.  He thought it sucked, actually said Taco Bell was better.  That hurt.  I haven’t been to Mighty in a while, hope they haven’t gone as downhill as it sounds.

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Glad to see it's not just me who thinks it sucks now...

But you guys remember it being good in the 90s and early 2000s though right!?

Maybe it’s not the year, but the time of day? I think your problem might be that you didn’t just close a bar at 4am and stumble in for a snack. That might change your perspective a bit. I never went to the Mighty when the sun was up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe it’s not the year, but the time of day? I think your problem might be that you didn’t just close a bar at 4am and stumble in for a snack. That might change your perspective a bit. I never went to the Mighty when the sun was up. 

That's actually a great observation but I was more of a Jim's Steakout guy at 4am haha...I mean I def made some late night Mighty runs back in my day but my earliest memories of MT was going as a kid after my brother's baseball games and back then we thought the food tasted amazing :D

Could be a lack of culinary experience back in those days but I really wouldn't be surprised if they have skimped out or changed up some ingredients over the years.  Does not taste the same as I remember it.   

Folks hate on MT, but I always make a stop whenever I'm back in Buffalo and it's the same/just as good as I ever remember it being.

It isnt "great", but it still hits the same. Especially with the Loganberry to go with it.

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Glad to see it's not just me who thinks it sucks now...

But you guys remember it being good in the 90s and early 2000s though right!?

I mean, you're talking 30+ years ago. If you were enjoying it in 1995, that's like saying "This was much better in 1960!"

Things always change over that much time.

13 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Blasphemy!  This is a must stop when I am in town. Is it great absolutely not. but it is what I remember it to be.

Yep. There is a MT right near my parents' house so I usually hit it first, then Stakeout for a Jim's Bleu at some point. Maybe even snag a quick Beef on Weck from Anderson's. That's a complete trip right there.

• Like (+1) 3

All i remember is smoking so much dope back in the day and seeing the Mighty Taco commercial come on the t.v.......the talking upside down mouth jingling their tune at 3am in the morning and then i'd have a HUGE craving for Tacos

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I haven't had Might Taco in over 10 years. I don't travel to Buffalo as often as I used to. I think about it once in a while and think, dang, I could go for some Might Taco. Knowing that the quality has declined, I guess I won't feel so bad. 

Ah, good memories of Mighty....  the Bailey/Minnesota location was the bomb. And I was a VERY frequent guest at the Walkden & Union location...

They've definitely changed things up since 40 years ago. That said, the wife and I were in the Buff for a family wedding a few weeks ago, and we stopped at MT for a quick lunch. They were better than the last few times I had visited in the 10+ years since I moved away. Big, saucy, no skimping on cheese. Close to the "old days." 

Wings at Duff's were bangin' too!

2 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Ah, good memories of Mighty....  the Bailey/Minnesota location was the bomb. And I was a VERY frequent guest at the Walkden & Union location...

They've definitely changed things up since 40 years ago. That said, the wife and I were in the Buff for a family wedding a few weeks ago, and we stopped at MT for a quick lunch. They were better than the last few times I had visited in the 10+ years since I moved away. Big, saucy, no skimping on cheese. Close to the "old days." 

Wings at Duff's were bangin' too!

When was there one on Bailey and Minnesota? 

They taste the same as they always have to me. They were my first job. My niece just started with them. Everything was pretty much exactly the same as when I worked there in late 90s. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

When was there one on Bailey and Minnesota? 

They taste the same as they always have to me. They were my first job. My niece just started with them. Everything was pretty much exactly the same as when I worked there in late 90s. 

I think that was the one we went to in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I think it was near The Library bar by the UB campus, and we would stumble in very late. Instead of getting in line to order, my friends would go straight to the pickup line and grab the first order that sounded good that was ordered and paid for by someone even less alert than we were. Never had a problem with those shenanigans in the wee hours. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Been going to MT for 49 years. They opened up in 1973. Had 3 locations-Seneca at Cazenovia, Bailey at Minnesota and Hertel Ave (the original location). No seating-take out only.  Open till 5 AM. The workers were more wasted than the customers.

The Hertel location was a few doors down from a synagogue. During the summer nights, get your food, walk down the street and sit on the steps of the synagogue to eat your tacos.

At the Baiiley location I got my food and waited outside for my friend to get his.  A guy comes  running down Bailey chased by several others.  He grabs me to use me as a human shield. One of his persuers  grabs me and shoves me to the side  and they started pummeling the guy they were chasing in the middle of the street until the sirens started. I was fine.

Everything tasted better when we were younger. Pizza  was better, McD's was better, BK was better. 

We are used to and jaded those favors over time. I loved suicidal wings nut now at 67, milds are fine.I get heartburn if I eat medium wings after 8 PM without  some Tums afterwards.  I go to MT maybe about 1-2 times a month now and get the Max Buffito.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:11 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Mighty Taco now has 19 (!) locations in WNY. It seems whenever restaurants expand to this extent they sacrifice some quality in order to maintain consistency between locations. The meat and other ingredients are certainly more processed. 

• Agree 1