Ray Davis vs Braelon Allen

TFBillsfan

I was bullish on Braelon Allen in the Pre-Draft process for us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we went with Davis instead. But I trust Beane to get the guys he thinks fits the team and schemes best.

I like what I've seen from Davis in the Pre-Season and the few spots we've deployed him during the Regular Season. Hopefully he continues to ascend and makes me look silly for wanting Allen instead.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I was bullish on Braelon Allen in the Pre-Draft process for us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we went with Davis instead. But I trust Beane to get the guys he thinks fits the team and schemes best.

I like what I've seen from Davis in the Pre-Season and the few spots we've deployed him during the Regular Season. Hopefully he continues to ascend and makes me look silly for wanting Allen instead.

Davis has been good when he has gotten targets and rushing attempts.

He is going to be playing second fiddle to Cook tho anyway so it's not a huge deal.

I think for any other position the age gap from 20 - 24 would be a factor. With RB's basically being on a one contract life-cycle, I'm ok getting a more seasoned rookie  who is 24. So far Davis has looked pretty good, reminds me a bit of Leonard Fournette (body-type wise). 

• Like (+1) 1

I tend to think character/leadership/intangibles played a part in choosing Ray over Braelon. 

Davis WAS a very productive college running back though, putting up 1,000 yards with three different teams and posting 7 receiving TDs last season.

Crucially: It's simply too early to make any kind of judgement call on this one. I'd at least like to see their entire rookie seasons play out first.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I think for any other position the age gap from 20 - 24 would be a factor. With RB's basically being on a one contract life-cycle, I'm ok getting a more seasoned rookie  who is 24. So far Davis has looked pretty good, reminds me a bit of Leonard Fournette (body-type wise). 

Yeah, i look at it similarly.  Backup Running backs make slightly more than davis on his rookie deal, including Ty Johnson.  The 2nd tier after the top 10 is a lot of older backs and flawed players who still make more than the rookie (3-4x AAV).  So if you can get comparative production for cheaper it's probably a good use of draft capital.  

Having extra picks in 2023 made it easier to justify pick usage at RB as well.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

And Johnson. Davis is 3rd in our pecking order whereas Allen is 2nd on his.

I mentioned TY second 😋 

But your point is relevant for sure !

21 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Davis seems jagish so far but he can do the things Cook cannot.   

what are these thing Cook cannot do , and Davis has done ?

You speak theoretically about Davis as an NFL player methinks 😇

48 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I mentioned TY second 😋 

But your point is relevant for sure !

what are these thing Cook cannot do , and Davis has done ?

You speak theoretically about Davis as an NFL player methinks 😇

Block, short yardage and catches the ball.  That is mostly based on his skill set not his two games.  Cook has issues with all three but what he is good at he is exceptional.  I like cook. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fred Jackson was a 26 year old rookie? Sure Davis turns 25 in November putting him at the same birth year as Pacheco & Cook. If anything the thought must be Davis has proven his body can hold up and the thinking is he has the mental maturity to ramp up asap and not take a year or two to earn a role.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like I said when this thread was posted originally...Why can't they both be good players?  Its 2 weeks into their careers and we are already comparing them?  

The context of the starts of their seasons couldn't be any different either.  

There are people who are obsessed with being right about certain players. If Allen turns out to have better stats than Davis, then the Allen fans will feel vindicated and feel that they should be making personnel decisions for the Bills.

It's childish.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Fred Jackson was a 26 year old rookie? Sure Davis turns 25 in November putting him at the same birth year as Pacheco & Cook. If anything the thought must be Davis has proven his body can hold up and the thinking is he has the mental maturity to ramp up asap and not take a year or two to earn a role.

High level football and human bodies are an interesting thing.. x + y does not always equal z 

It's not always about the age.. health of the body is more important 

There are also people who are early bloomers and late bloomers... Josh Allen is an example of a late bloomer 

You're not expecting a decade out of running backs anymore.. so you're looking for who could give you the most on their first contact 

Ray has the best blend of size speed quickness and power and blocking ability 

While showing he can tote the load for three different teams in college.. scheme versatility and toughness 

Does he have long-term feature back ability? Probably not...

Can he be a valuable piece on a winning team? Absolutely 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yeah, i look at it similarly.  Backup Running backs make slightly more than davis on his rookie deal, including Ty Johnson.  The 2nd tier after the top 10 is a lot of older backs and flawed players who still make more than the rookie (3-4x AAV).  So if you can get comparative production for cheaper it's probably a good use of draft capital.  

Having extra picks in 2023 made it easier to justify pick usage at RB as well.  

Yeah, I think next year and the following one after that will be our big chance to win the SuperBowl. Those draft picks will be nice...

16 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

There are people who are obsessed with being right about certain players. If Allen turns out to have better stats than Davis, then the Allen fans will feel vindicated and feel that they should be making personnel decisions for the Bills.

It's childish.

Within the context if this chat we all know who you are referring but... when you say 'Allen fans' I still think of Josh (rather than the RB). Hell, even Josh (now Hines-Allen), knew to get off the Allen bandwagon lol.

22 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Definitely Davis for me. If we're doing the song and dance where you don't pay a 2nd rookie contract to a RB, then who cares the age?

One of the things I liked about the Davis college highlights was it wasn’t just him running the ball and catching passes. There was a fairly long segment of plays where it showed him to be very willing and pretty capable in pass protection. That holds a lot of young RB’s back. That shouldn't hold him back so we can use him up for four years, then rinse and repeat. 

• Like (+1) 1