Ray Davis vs Braelon Allen

TFBillsfan

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ray Davis BALLED tonight. 

He's a dependable runner. He'll get you at least whatever yards are available on any given play and usually a few more.

On a related note... does Cook catch that downfield heave?

Davis looked great tonight.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, wppete said:

Ray Davis is clearly the better back. Now it will be interesting to see how Brady uses Davos with Cook. 

B.Allen's had some moments but Davis looks like a more complete back. I think because of Allen's physical tools people kind of think he's better but Davis is fundamentally sound on all levels all around good back. To make a baseball analogy Allen is like the pitcher that throws 99-101 consistently but doesn't always have great command and doesn't have too much else in his tool bag just yet. Whereas Davis is the pitcher who tops out around 94/95 but he has much better command and throws a good change up and breaking ball.

I think Allen could if he develops his vision, hands, and feel for the game develop into a very good RB but he's not there yet. Whereas I think Davis skillset while it can be polished up seems more "pro-ready" and well rounded thus far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

B.Allen's had some moments but Davis looks like a more complete back. I think because of Allen's physical tools people kind of think he's better but Davis is fundamentally sound on all levels all around good back. To make a baseball analogy Allen is like the pitcher that throws 99-101 consistently but doesn't always have great command and doesn't have too much else in his tool bag just yet. Whereas Davis is the pitcher who tops out around 94/95 but he has much better command and throws a good change up and breaking ball.

I think Allen could if he develops his vision, hands, and feel for the game develop into a very good RB but he's not there yet. Whereas I think Davis skillset while it can be polished up seems more "pro-ready" and well rounded thus far. 

Yes I agree. Different style backs. Davis is a well rounded back, running and receiving that plays hard. Allen is a big back with potential. 

Just now, bills6969 said:

Ray Davis is a stud.  Add him to the list of quality draft steals by Beane 

He definitely stepped in and came up huge tonight, and against a good defense. 

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

Ray Davis is clearly the better back. Now it will be interesting to see how Brady uses Davos with Cook. 

He can sit Cook down TBH.  If he were a better OC he'd put them both on the field at the same time, but that won't be a thing.

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I like the analogy.

I don’t envision us being a team that gives a 2nd contract to a RB… Beane hasn’t yet. 

Braelon Allen is young and has the POTENTIAL to develop those skills, but it doesn’t make sense seeing he’ll have developed those skills around when he’s hitting free agency. 

Ray Davis is more polished, albeit older, but it doesn’t matter. He’s in Buffalo for 4 years. 

8 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

I was really disappointed in Davis thru week 5 as Braelon Allen looked good. Glad to be see Ray Davis step up tonight and show why! Loved everything about him tonight!

Great game Rook!

Our coaching staff didn't utilize Davis the proper way. Ray is the type of back that needs lots of carries to get a rhythm, not just to come in once in a while to spell off Cook.....that's not going to work for his running and work ethic.

He needs to be force fed the ball. 

8 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

He was excellent tonight.

When Cooke leaves next year he’ll be our starting RB

He won’t be leaving next year.  He’ll be leaving in 2026

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Our coaching staff didn't utilize Davis the proper way. Ray is the type of back that needs lots of carries to get a rhythm, not just to come in once in a while to spell off Cook.....that's not going to work for his running and work ethic.

He needs to be force fed the ball. 

I don’t think he needs to be force fed, rather just needs an opening.  He had very few holes prior to yesterday 

• Agree 1