Ray Davis vs Braelon Allen

TFBillsfan

This will be interesting to see how these two fourth round picks play out. Bills had their choice and went with a RB who is 4 years older and smaller. Their division rival used their pick 6 picks later on Allen. Hoping the Bills got it right. Candidly, I preferred Allen due to his age, size and college experience coming from a run oriented program like Wisconsin. Both have had solid preseasons thus far and look like they will be contributors.  Thoughts on who will have the better career?

Braelon Allen: 6ft 1in 235lbs 20 years old pick 134 by the NYJ

Ray Davis: 5ft 8in 220lbs 24 years old pick 128 by the Bills

The problem is Braelon Allen isn’t as good despite his imposing figure. He has to be in a gap scheme. Once Wisconsin got away from I formation downhill he got progressively worse. He isn’t a huge thumper for his size 

He’s not a good pass catcher and he needs to hone his pass blocking skills.

Maybe in 4 years Allen will catch up to him in those things but I’ll take Davis over him anyday  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem is Braelon Allen isn’t as good despite his imposing figure. He has to be in a gap scheme. Once Wisconsin got away from I formation downhill he got progressively worse. He isn’t a huge thumper for his size 

He’s not a good pass catcher and he needs to hone his pass blocking skills.

Maybe in 4 years Allen will catch up to him in those things but I’ll take Davis over him anyday  

in 4 years, Allen will be onto another team anyway, given how the RB market generally works. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Davis' resembles MJD's physical traits. I haven't seen David in college to compare running style, but I sure wouldn't mind if he has similar success. MJD ran much larger than he was.

Edited by Herc11

24 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Davis' resembles MJD's physical traits. I haven't seen David in college to compare running style, but I sure wouldn't mind if he has similar success. MJD ran much larger than he was.

I think MJD had more thump to him.  Davis is more glide imo

• Shocked 1

Davis is deceptively and unexpectedly fast.......he clocked one of the fastest in-game top speeds in college football last year at 21.7 mph. 4th fastest among draft rbs and tied for 9th when you include wrs. Faster than Brian Thomas, McConkey, and others. 

He is an all round back...not a one trick battering ram.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

This will be interesting to see how these two fourth round picks play out. Bills had their choice and went with a RB who is 4 years older and smaller. Their division rival used their pick 6 picks later on Allen. Hoping the Bills got it right. Candidly, I preferred Allen due to his age, size and college experience coming from a run oriented program like Wisconsin. Both have had solid preseasons thus far and look like they will be contributors.  Thoughts on who will have the better career?

Braelon Allen: 6ft 1in 235lbs 20 years old pick 134 by the NYJ

Ray Davis: 5ft 8in 220lbs 24 years old pick 128 by the Bills

Ray Davis I had ranked as the third best RB in the whole draft, been a big fan of his game.  Doesn't mean Allen isn't a good prospect or can't have a good career too, but I am riding with Davis.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Davis is a better player right now. Allen is a very traditional, old school, downhill runner. He is a one trick pony. Davis's game is more rounded. I think there was a clear top 5 in the draft at running back but Davis was best of the rest for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Define better career. Neither is likely to be an RB1 with expectations of being a primary reason a team even makes the playoffs.  Davis is in a much better position to make contributions to a winning team because the Bills are much better than the dolphins.