Your top 5 old school video games - sports edition

Front Page Sports Pro Football was a incredible game for the PC.  Still the only game I recall having a play/formation designer. Graphics at the time were next level. 

NFL 2k5-  Still has elements that we haven't seen nearly 20 years later. Sucks to have lost this franchise. 

NBA Jam- Ton of fun

Mike Tyson Punch Out- See above

Favorite Nintendo (NES) sports games, in no particular order:

Football - Tecmo Super Bowl. The original Tecmo Bowl whetted the appetite, but TSB is the Gold Standard (and still modded today, with new rosters and uniform and gameplay tweaks annually).

Baseball - Baseball Stars ("When Isn't It?" "When It Is." "What Is A Wren?" "A Bird." - If you know, you know). Building a team from the ground-up, knowing the Prestige trick for levelling-up your pitchers, in order to maximize their pitching stats and boosting your attendance - $$). Honorable mention to Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball, which had up to 60 unique players with strengths and weaknesses). Also some love for the Bases Loaded franchise; learning the right scenario to start a Bean Brawl to get the computer's best player ejected.

Hockey - Blades of Steel - the fighting cut-scenes and the cinematic reel when you won the championship was so cool. Special shout-out to Ice Hockey, with their three body types to build your roster.

Basketball - Double Dribble was my favorite - didn't learn the Corner 3 cheat mode until recently. Also loved Hoops, a 2 v 2 half-court game, with the cut-scenes for dunks and blocked dunks. Also played Tecmo Super Basketball a few times and it was okay; the playcall selection like in TSB didn't seem to go over well with me.

Auto Racing - Enjoyed Super Sprint simplistic IndyCar racing. RC Pro Am was an early hit for me - insane speeds for the computer cars the further you advanced. I absolutely loved Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off-Road. I used to watch a ton of those Stadium races when ESPN used to show them; they'd race through the arches of the LA Coliseum. Get three other friends and an NEW Satellite and it's hours of dirt racing fun. Love-hate relationship with Days of Thunder. Nearly impossible to pass and keep your can from getting destroyed.

Wrestling - Big fan of Tecmo World Wrestling, Tag Team Wrestling, and Pro Wrestling.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Tecmo Super Bowl, I loved putting Beebe in at FB and put in a few run and shoot formations and have him in the slot on fly routes or swing passes to Thurman duking defenders all the way.

NBA Jams- Ewing and Starks a great combo of inside and outside that made them virtually unstoppable.

NHL 94: Nothing like playing as the Sabres and hearing the Sabre Dance.

Real Sports Baseball for Atari 2600 was a a favorite. 

Edited by The Jokeman

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Tecmo Super Bowl, I loved putting Beebe in at FB and put in a few run and shoot formations and have him in the slot on fly routes or swing passes to Thurman duking defenders all the way.

NBA James- Ewing and Starks a great combo of inside and outside that made them virtually unstoppable.

NHL 94: Nothing like playing as the Sabres and hearing the Sabre Dance.

Real Sports Baseball for Atari 2600 was a a favorite. 

Those ones in particular just brought back some childhood memories for me...Ugh the Feels!