Your top 5 old school video games - sports edition

1. Super Tecmo Bowl.  Can't do Tecmo Bowl without the Bills.  Although Lawrence Taylor was unstoppable on defense.  QB Bills to Andre Reed TD.

2. Ken Griffey Jr Baseball.  26 game season and I would play 5 a day.  I hated not succeeding so if the player I created went 0-3...I reset it lol.  

3. Baseball Stars.

4. Very first Madden.  First game I believe with the endzone view and see plays develop.

5. Excite Bike.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

Going 16 bit and lower

1.  Tecmo Super Bowl - Full NFL with NFLPA license with a robust season and stats. 

2.  Baseball Stars - ahead of its time for NES.  Could create teams and players.  Upgrade players with money, and could even make trades and sign free agents.  Highly replayable.

3.  NHL - 94.  Had the best physics of any hockey game up to that date and we were hit with an NHL and NHLPA-licensed game.  Was a huge step in the genre.  Was a well balanced game if you out-lawed the cheap goals where you skated across the front of the net so the goalie went down.

4.  PGA Tour Golf II.  Built a more robust tournament/career mode from I, with better physics.  Game was simpler and more fun to play than PGA Tour III or PGA Tour 96.  PGA Tour II was perfection and can still be enjoyed today.

5.  Evander Holyfield Real Deal Boxing - was a great boxing game for Sega with a good career mode with some RPG elements.

Honorable Mention:  Ice Hockey, Bases Loaded, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Pro Wrestling, Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball, Ken Griffey Jr Baseball, Tony LaRussa Baseball. Baseball Simulator 1.000, Rugby World Cup '95

Overrated:  Blades of Steel, RBI Baseball, 

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1. Super Tecmo Bowl.  Can't do Tecmo Bowl without the Bills.  Although Lawrence Taylor was unstoppable on defense.  QB Bills to Andre Reed TD.

2. Ken Griffey Jr Baseball.  26 game season and I would play 5 a day.  I hated not succeeding so if the player I created went 0-3...I reset it lol.  

3. Base Wars.  Remember this one?  You got to fight for the base.  Also robots.

4. Very first Madden.  First game I believe with the endzone view and see plays develop.

5. Excite Bike.  

Tecmo Bowl to this day is still my favorite game of all time.......i used to do a short swing pass from Kelly to Thomas and run it on the outside every play, straight to a TD

In the later versions of the game, they had to take out Bo Jackson cause he was just too fast, but i found Thomas was pretty good too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Going 16 bit and lower

1.  Tecmo Super Bowl - Full NFL with NFLPA license with a robust season and stats. 

2.  Baseball Stars - ahead of its time for NES.  Could create teams and players.  Upgrade players with money, and could even make trades and sign free agents.  Highly replayable.

3.  NHL - 94.  Had the best physics of any hockey game up to that date and we were hit with an NHL and NHLPA-licensed game.  Was a huge step in the genre.  Was a well balanced game if you out-lawed the cheap goals where you skated across the front of the net so the goalie went down.

4.  PGA Tour Golf II.  Built a more robust tournament/career mode from I, with better physics.  Game was simpler and more fun to play than PGA Tour III or PGA Tour 96.  PGA Tour II was perfection and can still be enjoyed today.

5.  Evander Holyfield Real Deal Boxing - was a great boxing game for Sega with a good career mode with some RPG elements.

Honorable Mention:  Ice Hockey, Bases Loaded, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Pro Wrestling, Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball, Ken Griffey Jr Baseball, Tony LaRussa Baseball. Baseball Simulator 1.000, Rugby World Cup '95

Overrated:  Blades of Steel, RBI Baseball, 

I'm replacing Base Wars with Baseball Stars.

I was an original Sega kid (pre-Genesis), and the games were quite sorry! My go-to game on that system was “Great Football.”

Here it is! You had to run diagonal to go fast!

I will echo what others have said on here though re the first Madden games. I think the ones in 1990-1993 era on the Genesis were so great!

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate

Love all the answers. I was provided ample food and shelter but was deprived of a console as a child. There is a woe was me in there somewhere. Anyway, might have some weird answers, and these aren't in any significant order... also all were on PC because that's all I had:

1. Earl Weaver Baseball

2. Hockey League Simulator -> Eastside Hockey Manager

3. TV Sports Basketball

4. Madden 2K5 (Still the greatest football sim ever especially if you had the multi-year draft cheat sheet and could stock your franchise with hall of famers found in the 5-7th round)

5. Links 386

On 8/21/2024 at 1:03 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

3. Baseball Stars.

5. Excite Bike.  

baseball stars is elite.     Taka on the lovely ladies bench was a monster

1. Super Tecmo Bowl 

2. Bases Loaded 2 

3. Ring King

4. in the zone (nba) 

5. early EA NHL games 

NFL 94. 

Played literally hundreds of games of this version. Excellent play books and a hint of things to come. Developers ruined it in 95. Still, I have the memories. We used ro call the pxp guy "Bourbon Bob" because he'd come up with such beauties as "It's 1st and 10 from the 99 yard line."

Tecmo SB is the reason I was afraid of the Bills drafting DK Metcalf- Eric Metcalf was injured on every single play in that game.  Seriously without fail the ambulance would come out for him every time he touched the ball hahaha.  

I had one friend who got good enough with LT to be a pain in the ass, and another who took the 49ers and got good- but I had QB Bills to Reed 83, so I smoked all challengers.   On defense, who cared- you could take anyone.  QB Eagles was a blast to play too!

Original Tecmo sucked... mostly because the Bills weren't very good, (frustratingly underrated at that time) and the Dolphins had that 4-curl route play that was impossible to stop, because all DB's got pushed back on the curl- Japanese people were still working on how to understand American Football on that version.  

They definitely were coming around when they designed the 120 yard pass-completion and the Tom Rathman FB-up-the-gut bloodfest in Super Tecmo.  Now THAT was Football #1!!

Sorry, I don't have a number 2,3,4 or 5- I didn't play any other sport-sanctioned video games... I'm good at pool, ping-pong, scrabble and pastries though.  

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett