Tua Throwing Bombs With His Mouth!

WotAGuy

Tua is surprisingly blunt and open about Flores’ “coaching” style. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-flores-responds-after-tua-tagovailoa-slammed-his-coaching-style-with-the-dolphins-191628438.html

"You hear it — regardless of what it is, the good or the bad — and you hear it more and more, you start to actually believe that,” he said. “I don't care who you are, you could be the President of the United States. [If] you have a terrible person that's telling you things that you don't want to hear, or that you probably shouldn't be hearing, you're gonna start to believe that about yourself.”

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Hiring a position coach to be their HC was an incredibly dumb decision by the Fins (the Browns wouldn't even have him!).  Flores was a bad choice, especially paired with a rookie QB, whom he was completely unequipped to coach.  The Dolphins Defenses in his tenure weren't very good either, going 32, 6, 16 in points allowed.  Obviously Tua got a lot better under McDaniel.

I don’t get why someone would bad mouth their franchise QB right to their face like that. I was confused on why they fired him at the time, but now I totally get it. Tua sucks, but he seems like an all around good person in real life. I don’t see him making up something like this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

I think that it's very possible that both sides are at fault here:

Flores clearly, especially in his first head coaching opportunity, tried to be too much of the tough guy, and utilized mostly old-school methods which have become less and less effective in guiding today's athletes.  Also, having a defensive background, didn't have the skill set or experiences to help a rookie QB develop

Tua for his part, has not proven to be the toughest or most resilient athlete.  Of course he's going to flourish much more under a guy like McDaniel with his offensive coaching background who has done a good job of building a system around Tua's skills, while mitigating his weaknesses as much as possible.  However, it doesn't fix those deficiencies, and coaching and schemes can only help so much.  We've probably already seen Tua's ceiling as a player - he's not going to put his body on the line, and he isn't capable of high-level improvisation or throwing off schedule like the truly great QB's need to be in today's game

• Like (+1) 5

I understand what Tua is saying and I would not want a coach like that.

But we know some players respond to that and we know many coaches can be successful.  

I think the issue is you need to know what works with each player. It seems Tua is psychologically fragile whereas a guy like Tom Brady can handle that coaching even as a young player.  

In the end these guys are pro athletes.  if they need motivation from a coach it's already a problem. They need a coach to put them in a position to succeed and to teach not to motivate. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t get why someone would bad mouth their franchise QB right to their face like that. I was confused on why they fired him at the time, but now I totally get it. Tua sucks, but he seems like an all around good person in real life. I don’t see him making up something like this. 

I also don't believe he is intentionally fabricating information. However, keep in mind that cognitive research suggests that individuals often unintentionally exaggerate due to memory bias. Studies in psychology, such as the work by Elizabeth Loftus on the malleability of memory, demonstrate that human recollections are not perfect and can be influenced by emotions, context, or repeated storytelling. This phenomenon is commonly referred to as "memory distortion," and is where details may become amplified or altered without deliberate intent.

It is in part why witness testimony in court is so incredibly unreliable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He is a good kid by all accounts.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that it's very possible that both sides are at fault here:

Flores clearly, especially in his first head coaching opportunity, tried to be too much of the tough guy, and utilized mostly old-school methods which have become less and less effective in guiding today's athletes.  Also, having a defensive background, didn't have the skill set or experiences to help a rookie QB develop

Tua for his part, has not proven to be the toughest or most resilient athlete.  Of course he's going to flourish much more under a guy like McDaniel with his offensive coaching background who has done a good job of building a system around Tua's skills, while mitigating his weaknesses as much as possible.  However, it doesn't fix those deficiencies, and coaching and schemes can only help so much.  We've probably already seen Tua's ceiling as a player - he's not going to put his body on the line, and he isn't capable of high-level improvisation or throwing off schedule like the truly great QB's need to be in today's game

All I could think of when he was saying that was Belicheck talking about nobody was above criticism, including Golden Boy Brady. Tua may need to toughen up a bit in order to win some big games in December 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Didn’t Flores settle a massive lawsuit for huge $$$ claiming he was fired bc of racism?  When everybody knew the Fins really leaned in on his potential (not resume) when they hired him and then he made their franchise QB want to retire and basically say him or me.

funny how this hasn’t been brought up on espn