Our offense is better in 2024 if 2 guys take a step forward

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep.  I did.  And the WRs that most let the team down in that KC game are no longer on the team.

And this is where I said KC won the Super Bowl on the back of the #1 offense that year with Mahomes winning MVP. I don’t think Bills will have the same success. Fwiw I hope you’re right in this exchange. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Bangarang said:

Mack Hollins is 30 years old and has been in the league for 7 years already. In those 7 years, his career high in receiving yards is 690. The rest of those years he's failed to have more than 251 receiving yards and now you think he could suddenly be an upgrade to Gabe? 

It seems like Shakir and/or Kincaid are going to need monster years for this offense to be one of the league's best. I'm skeptical right now. 

Shakir was hands down our best receiver in the playoffs. 2 TDs and 10 catches on 12 targets. I think he takes a massive step forward. Somebody is going to have to put up production w/ the loss of Diggs/ Davis. What I like about him is he holds onto the ball and showed he can make circus catches. The only thing he lacks is the downfield speed 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Shakir was hands down our best receiver in the playoffs. 2 TDs and 10 catches on 12 targets. I think he takes a massive step forward. Somebody is going to have to put up production w/ the loss of Diggs/ Davis. What I like about him is he holds onto the ball and showed he can make circus catches. The only thing he lacks is the downfield speed 

It's not as though he exploded in the playoffs. He had 10 catches for 75 yards. I hope you're right and he has a massive year but so far he's been a supporting player on offense and we'll have to see what he does as a lead guy. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Bangarang said:

Mack Hollins is 30 years old and has been in the league for 7 years already. In those 7 years, his career high in receiving yards is 690. The rest of those years he's failed to have more than 251 receiving yards and now you think he could suddenly be an upgrade to Gabe? 

It seems like Shakir and/or Kincaid are going to need monster years for this offense to be one of the league's best. I'm skeptical right now. 

I think the calculation at least for me is will the combination of a clearly ascending Shakir and Kincaid, along with Samuels, Coleman, Hollins/MVS, Knox will be be better in year two and a training camp under Joe Brady than last year's unit.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way if we put better or worse numbers/wins than last year.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:54 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Bicuit and Quint (guys I like and respect), the real issue last year was Allen getting hamstringed by not being allowed to run.  He’s the most durable QB in the NFL with twice the number of consecutive starts than any other QB in the NFL.  DB’s are more afraid of Allen Freight train than the other way around.

We can still do it this year.  All of us including me have to get used to Shakir, and Kinkaid along with targeted Knox packages.  Samuel shouldn’t take more than a few weeks.  Coleman will eventually develop, but you can’t expect mountains moved in a few weeks.

This is a very good point but I get both sides. Allen is such a beast because of his dual threat. I also get the Bills being concerned because as big of a beast that Allen is, the hits add up. Especially because Allen loves contact. Cam and Big Ben were beasts too and the hits caught up to them. 

you don’t want to coach out aggression because that’s what makes Allen great. So hopefully he has learned to avoid those big hits because it’s a long season. But his feet make him so dangerous. It’s a fine line. 

On 8/23/2024 at 10:07 AM, Gregg said:

Let's hope he is right.

GVqv4mYXMAAWcWa?format=jpg&name=small

Shakir is going to have a big year. For some reason, I can’t stand that Peter dude. Seems nice enough but seems like a giant dork who likes to brag who his friends are. 

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is a very good point but I get both sides. Allen is such a beast because of his dual threat. I also get the Bills being concerned because as big of a beast that Allen is, the hits add up. Especially because Allen loves contact. Cam and Big Ben were beasts too and the hits caught up to them. 

you don’t want to coach out aggression because that’s what makes Allen great. So hopefully he has learned to avoid those big hits because it’s a long season. But his feet make him so dangerous. It’s a fine line. 

Shakir is going to have a big year. For some reason, I can’t stand that Peter dude. Seems nice enough but seems like a giant dork who likes to brag who his friends are. 

I see your point, but consider Allen’s running has evolved to much safer in he slides more, and runs out of bounds more.  I’ll agree he ran with reckless abandon in the beginning, but has improved at least at times.  The other point is almost every injury even though he played through most of them came from the pocket where a QB is a target vs. on the run.  I’m not saying it can’t happen, but hasn’t slowed him down for 88 regular season games not including playoffs.

I don’t have rose colored glasses amd it’s possible we regress to 10-7, but I don’t believe it will happen.  I can see us going 11-6 or on the rose colored side 12-5.  I firmly believe we’ll win the East, amd then see what happens.

On 8/22/2024 at 8:43 PM, Bangarang said:

It's not as though he exploded in the playoffs. He had 10 catches for 75 yards. I hope you're right and he has a massive year but so far he's been a supporting player on offense and we'll have to see what he does as a lead guy. 

Peerless Price and Alvin Harper agree with this take 

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Bragging about who his friends are?  Are you sure this isn’t Sal Cappaccio you’re talking about?

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Big Ben played elite level football still at the age of 36. He really didn't start his decline until 37. That's fairly normal. 

Cam had one elite season as a QB. So his decline after the anomaly of a 2015 season is harder to gauge. His seasons after 2015 were closer to his early career averages than they were that one special year where everything was clicking. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:38 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Big Ben played elite level football still at the age of 36. He really didn't start his decline until 37. That's fairly normal. 

Cam had one elite season as a QB. So his decline after the anomaly of a 2015 season is harder to gauge. His seasons after 2015 were closer to his early career averages than they were that one special year where everything was clicking. 

Cam played with a lot of crap at receiver. He helped Kelvin Benjamin be a 1,000 yard wr. He got a point with his shoulder where he could barely throw and he had one of the stronger arms in the nfl. 

Big Ben was a pretty mobile qb and got to a point where he was a statue back there. Those hits definitely took their tolls on both guys. 

I do think qbs are better protected now though so maybe Allen won’t get as much as a beating as those guys got.