JA makes TB12’s and Manning’s top five QB list

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmm. Hate to say it  but I’m more in agreement with Brady’s list here than Manning’s. 

Brady immediately went to Josh after Mahomes. Peyton saying Herbert is kinda embarrassing. There's really only 4 top qbs in today's NFL.  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Jackson in that order. Joe can't stay healthy and Lamar struggles in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

The way Manning phrased it about Herbert though I do understand what he is saying. I think he said "as talented as any of 'em" and while I don't necessarily agree he is as talented as Mahomes or Allen I think he is more talented than anyone else. I don't think the problem with Herbert that keeps him from being truly in the elite conversation is talent. I think it is heart and mentality. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't a ranking I don't think. He wasn't trying to put them in order. 

Ah, I didn't realize. 

I thought it was interesting Peyton said "quarterbacks need to be coached hard, that's good for them," bringing up Andy Reid and Mahomes. 

27 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Ah, I didn't realize. 

I thought it was interesting Peyton said "quarterbacks need to be coached hard, that's good for them," bringing up Andy Reid and Mahomes. 

Yea, I mean maybe he was, it wasn't clear but that isn't how I interpreted it. I think it was just the order they were popping into his head. We've all done that you start trying to do a list from memory and then realise you have left something out..... ask my partner about the weekly shopping trip which if left to me becomes three weekly shopping trips before I've completed the list 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The way Manning phrased it about Herbert though I do understand what he is saying. I think he said "as talented as any of 'em" and while I don't necessarily agree he is as talented as Mahomes or Allen I think he is more talented than anyone else. I don't think the problem with Herbert that keeps him from being truly in the elite conversation is talent. I think it is heart and mentality. 

Will be interesting to see Herbert with a competent coach

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And coaching. Harbaugh may make a huge difference 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it’s the team he has been on more than anything else. Bad head coaching and bad defense has been the biggest determinant in people’s takes on him.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think it’s the team he has been on more than anything else. Bad head coaching and bad defense has been the biggest determinant in people’s takes on him.

My biggest knock on him is in game lulls. Particularly third quarter. His passer rating is 13 points lower second half than first. It has been a recurring thing with him. He is pretty good right at the end of games in the clutch but otherwise his 2nd half performance is a drop off. I've seen him sleep walk through 3rd quarters. 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Brady immediately went to Josh after Mahomes. Peyton saying Herbert is kinda embarrassing. There's really only 4 top qbs in today's NFL.  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Jackson in that order. Joe can't stay healthy and Lamar struggles in the playoffs. 

and Lamar isn't a great passer. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It may be heart, mentality and/or Staley for Herbert so far.

Personally although I get skewered on the regular, I think Josh lacks the mentality to bring his best every week.  That is what has held him back more than Diggs, McD, Davis, and all the other rotating scapegoats have done.  He needs to change his mentality, not be so sensitive and come to every game fully prepared.  When he does, he will win.  Until he does, he’ll watch Mahomes win.  Whatever happens, the board will focus on Diggs being a big mean poopy head and McD’s shortcomings.  

FWIW I think J. Brady will be good for Josh because Josh DOES have heart and Brady’s ineptitude will force Josh to realize he needs to be ready for everything all the time and he can’t get by on heart alone.  I think by mid-season we will finally see him look focused and concerned on the sidelines and he will be forced to assert his will behind the scenes.  2024 seems likely to be a choppy mess and a lost year.  It has the potential to be THE turning point if Josh handles it right.