Why is this board so negative?

BufBills83

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Negative??? Go check out a Patriots* forum...

I have a couple friends who are die hard Patriot fans, they are in melt down and want the new HC fired even before the season begins! Never thought TBD could be defeated in the category!

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Hard disagree on that one.

Usually bright eyed optimists, people who's expectations are not even close to grounded in any kind of reality...those people often can't take the idea that someone disagrees with their sky high expectations....so when that person does disagree with them, they say a statement like you just did.

Its not a fact. You saying its a fact in itself is a defense mechanism you are putting out there to try to prevent people from disagreeing with you because you so BADLY don't want people to disagree with you.

Someone who calls themself a realist MAY be a pessimist...but they may also be someone who like to position their opinion in a way where they take into consideration both positive and negative possible outcomes equally.

I don't think you know much about me. I really don't mind if people disagree with me. And I am in no way a bright eyed optimist. I think I have a pretty measured approach to things, personally. But you may view it differently. Perhaps you follow my posts and interpret them differently. That's up to you.

Sure, it's not a fact. Rather, it is an observation.

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

Many realists on TBD, there are those who post that I go to automatically, very insightfull, honest and thought provoking and at times I dont agree but they are realists! And they are not only knowledgeable but have deep respect for the game.

I agree. There are many here. But they don't announce their realism because they don't need to. Only the pessimists do that.

• Like (+1) 1

The mood of this board lives completely in the moment, and that’s why. The exuberance from Josh Allen becoming a top QB in the league is now tempered by the questionable management of the roster. No player is bigger than the team ( save for maybe Josh- he is literally the franchise ) so the fan base can be okay with Diggs being traded. However, it is a passing league and they haven’t surrounded Allen with much in the WR dept. At least on paper. With the season fast approaching and injuries already piling up, it’s looking like a lost year for the Bills. Right in Allen’s prime to boot, and that’s just inexcusable with no Lombardi to show for the last four seasons. I’d venture most fans would be fine with a reset year while dealing with cap issues that resulted from a championship season. It didn’t happen and 13 seconds is etched indelibly in our collective psyche ; it was the pinnacle of that teams possibilities botched by unthinkable strategic failure. So excuse the overall negativity as it’s just a reflection of where the team is at - right now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Because Sean blew :13's and wasted the next 2 seasons on a rookie OC. Now we're in a reset year with no WRs, a ton of dead cap, and Josh Allen will be 30 before you know it.

Wow! Never heard that before, pretty original!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think you know much about me. I really don't mind if people disagree with me. And I am in no way a bright eyed optimist. I think I have a pretty measured approach to things, personally. But you may view it differently. Perhaps you follow my posts and interpret them differently. That's up to you.

I don't need to know much about you  and don't need to follow your posts for my reply to be appropriate. You came in pretty hot with your statement followed by calling it a 'fact'. I strongly disagree with it being a fact. That is what I was/am responding to.

Personally, have to agree with live in the moment sentiment. High as a kite after a win and as low as the (Mariana) trench after a loss. The same range during the game as Gunner mentioned upstream about the gameday thread being a stream of consciousness. I will be suicidal after a bad play and 5 minutes later, riding a MDMA-like high (not that I would know) after a great play. This is obviously exacerbated by how much alcohol was consumed.

I don't post much, but my history will show last year was particularly negative for me. Might have posted some things that would have hurt Sean McDermott's feelings (of course not, but the toxicity was real). For me, perhaps it's a bit of BBFS syndrome combined with some mind-numbing losses straight from playoff-drought central casting that had me questioning my (in)sanity for subjecting myself to this kind of torture every week.

Oddly enough, despite my (recent) toxicity, and fears of seasons unravelling... it hasn't happened under this regime's watch. Don't get me wrong, we seem to like circling the drain during our annual mid-season swoon, but the men always get it done and have stormed into the playoffs each year that we've been legitimately "good". And while I don't have the pre-dynasty benchmark for how bad a team can be, like most of you, I endured/survived the drought. So I also know what the range of mediocre through terrible looks like.

TLDR: for me, I flip-flop between "we're good, we've seen what the alternative looks like" to "we're wasting a franchise quarterback's prime and we may never  have another again". Combine that with "there's a curse or something hanging over us, and we still do Billsy things". And as a PS, have to agree that being critical is part of the experience.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The answer is so obvious it's almost like we didn't need a thread.

Can we wait and get some new material, I’m sure new events will occur in 2024 that will cause emotional breakdowns and no, I don’t think the answer is obvious I’m not a card carrying member of the fire everybody gang, sorry to disappoint! 

18 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

Asking for a friend.

I really have not experienced any negativity on this board.  If anything, I find TBD to be a bunch of pollyanna, hippy, slackers.  I think this is mostly in your head.

• Haha (+1) 2

Consider the history of the Buffalo Bills franchise (founded in 1960), and you will understand why this fanbase is generally negative and pessimistic.

Every time this team has been on the pinnacle of something great, their hopes are dashed to the ground and destroyed.

• Our last championship came way back in 1965.  Almost 60 years ago.  Long before the majority of current fans were even alive.  Ironically, this was also exactly one season before the Super Bowl was created.  Players always say you "can't take away" their championship victory.  Well today, the NFL doesn't really count anything that came before Green Bay in 1966.  Only 12 months separate the Bills from getting an opportunity to win the very first Super Bowl... and instead having their AFL titles relegated to an old and forgotten era of football history. 
  • Over the next 22 years, the Bills managed to win the division only twice and make the playoffs a total of FOUR times.  This included a span where they had possibly the best player in the sport (OJ Simpson).  Of course, this once loved and celebrated star - once considered the greatest athlete to wear the Buffalo uniform - later turned out to be a cold-blooded murderer.  
  • The team's greatest era finally began in 1988 and ran for almost a decade.  Despite boasting a team with a half-dozen Hall of Famers, they somehow managed to choke away four straight Super Bowl appearances (losing to both Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien in the big game).  Ask most Bills fans about the 90s and you will get a mix of fond nostalgia and PTSD.  Fitting those years were bookended by "Wide Right" at the beginning, and concluded with the "Music City Miracle."  
  • Despite the absolute statistical improbability (especially with the league pushing for parity), the Bills somehow missed the playoffs for the next 17 years.  Nearly long enough for a newborn to reach adulthood before experiencing a postseason game.  Endless GMs, coaches, quarterbacks and rosters bringing hope.  All ending exactly the same.

Our recent resurrection under Beane/McDermott/Allen started with great promise.  Even for the most skeptical of us older Bills fans.  Surely this group would bring us a Super Bowl eventually.  But after "13 Seconds", "Wide Right 2", four-straight early exits from the postseason, an endless string of injuries... it just seems like we've been on this roller coaster before.     

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

One of the bigger issues here is the confusion of fact with opinion.  Actually a global issue to be honest in just about any topic out there.  The other is false expertise.

You are the man!

16 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Consider the history of the Buffalo Bills franchise (founded in 1960), and you will understand why this fanbase is generally negative and pessimistic.

Every time this team has been on the pinnacle of something great, their hopes are dashed to the ground and destroyed.

• Our last championship came way back in 1965.  Almost 60 years ago.  Long before the majority of current fans were even alive.  Ironically, this was also exactly one season before the Super Bowl was created.  Players always say you "can't take away" their championship victory.  Well today, the NFL doesn't really count anything that came before Green Bay in 1966.  Only 12 months separate the Bills from getting an opportunity to win the very first Super Bowl... and instead having their AFL titles relegated to an old and forgotten era of football history. 
  • Over the next 22 years, the Bills managed to win the division only twice and make the playoffs a total of FOUR times.  This included a span where they had possibly the best player in the sport (OJ Simpson).  Of course, this once loved and celebrated star - once considered the greatest athlete to wear the Buffalo uniform - later turned out to be a cold-blooded murderer.  
  • The team's greatest era finally began in 1988 and ran for almost a decade.  Despite boasting a team with a half-dozen Hall of Famers, they somehow managed to choke away four straight Super Bowl appearances (losing to both Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien in the big game).  Ask most Bills fans about the 90s and you will get a mix of fond nostalgia and PTSD.  Fitting those years were bookended by "Wide Right" at the beginning, and concluded with the "Music City Miracle."  
  • Despite the absolute statistical improbability (especially with the league pushing for parity), the Bills somehow missed the playoffs for the next 17 years.  Nearly long enough for a newborn to reach adulthood before experiencing a postseason game.  Endless GMs, coaches, quarterbacks and rosters bringing hope.  All ending exactly the same.

Our recent resurrection under Beane/McDermott/Allen started with great promise.  Even for the most skeptical of us older Bills fans.  Surely this group would bring us a Super Bowl eventually.  But after "13 Seconds", "Wide Right 2", four-straight early exits from the postseason, an endless string of injuries... it just seems like we've been on this roller coaster before.     

Stop! You MUST see only the good and refrain from rational explanations like the above. You wanna know why? Because some posters demand that you view things ONLY in the exact same way as they do. 

The ironic part is, I truly believe that most of the rose colored glasses folks take the Bills losses and various blunders that you named above worse than I do. I try look at the team as rationally as I can. My expectations are not very high this season but I will be cheering as loud as any fan. I just can't bring myself to be robotic and praise every move that Bills management makes. There is  too much of that in the country these days.

Jmo.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

One of the bigger issues here is the confusion of fact with opinion.  Actually a global issue to be honest in just about any topic out there.  The other is false expertise.

People literally believe they can read a few page article and be at the Doctoral or Scholarly level.

They were able to get the same amount of information in a 15 minute read as a Doctor who spent 10 years in college.  There are people who literally believe this.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, technobot said:

Oddly enough, despite my (recent) toxicity, and fears of seasons unravelling... it hasn't happened under this regime's watch. Don't get me wrong, we seem to like circling the drain during our annual mid-season swoon, but the men always get it done and have stormed into the playoffs each year that we've been legitimately "good". And while I don't have the pre-dynasty benchmark for how bad a team can be, like most of you, I endured/survived the drought. So I also know what the range of mediocre through terrible looks like.

Agreed. Since 2017 every time at least regular season wise when they seemed counted out on the year in some capacity (2017 3 game losing streak 5-5 Peterman game, 2019 post Pats game 1, 2021 TB loss 7-6, and last year after PHI loss) they do comeback pretty strong and answer the bell. This is the first time where entering the season they really seem to be counted out by the fans so I am interested in how it plays out, but the track record is there that they finish the year playing good football and as a playoff team.

Like you said we all go back and forth a lot from feeling high to low and this year seems to be entering on low so watch them go 6-1 or something stupid to shut us all up lol.

• Haha (+1) 1