Why is this board so negative?

BufBills83

On 8/21/2024 at 1:55 PM, amprov56 said:

You have no idea, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984, 1985, horrible drafts throughout the 60's and 70's; the fire everbody crowd produced some great coaching changes (ha ha). Try sitting in the Rockpile in November with it cold, windy, wet and muddy with your team 1 and 9 competing for OJ. Ill take the four SB losses and the last five years and I think this team will win a SB (horrors optimist).

Amen!   I remember that the Bills had an interim-HC during some of those years who was acknowledged drunk, an OL that was so bad that WRs were playing QB, and that the players, led by Bruce Smith were ready to mutiny.   Anybody who has memories of those days, cannot help but be an optimist about the current Bills teams. 

On 8/21/2024 at 4:01 PM, mjt328 said:

Consider the history of the Buffalo Bills franchise (founded in 1960), and you will understand why this fanbase is generally negative and pessimistic.

Every time this team has been on the pinnacle of something great, their hopes are dashed to the ground and destroyed.

• Our last championship came way back in 1965.  Almost 60 years ago.  Long before the majority of current fans were even alive.  Ironically, this was also exactly one season before the Super Bowl was created.  Players always say you "can't take away" their championship victory.  Well today, the NFL doesn't really count anything that came before Green Bay in 1966.  Only 12 months separate the Bills from getting an opportunity to win the very first Super Bowl... and instead having their AFL titles relegated to an old and forgotten era of football history. 
  • Over the next 22 years, the Bills managed to win the division only twice and make the playoffs a total of FOUR times.  This included a span where they had possibly the best player in the sport (OJ Simpson).  Of course, this once loved and celebrated star - once considered the greatest athlete to wear the Buffalo uniform - later turned out to be a cold-blooded murderer.  
  • The team's greatest era finally began in 1988 and ran for almost a decade.  Despite boasting a team with a half-dozen Hall of Famers, they somehow managed to choke away four straight Super Bowl appearances (losing to both Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien in the big game).  Ask most Bills fans about the 90s and you will get a mix of fond nostalgia and PTSD.  Fitting those years were bookended by "Wide Right" at the beginning, and concluded with the "Music City Miracle."  
  • Despite the absolute statistical improbability (especially with the league pushing for parity), the Bills somehow missed the playoffs for the next 17 years.  Nearly long enough for a newborn to reach adulthood before experiencing a postseason game.  Endless GMs, coaches, quarterbacks and rosters bringing hope.  All ending exactly the same.

Our recent resurrection under Beane/McDermott/Allen started with great promise.  Even for the most skeptical of us older Bills fans.  Surely this group would bring us a Super Bowl eventually.  But after "13 Seconds", "Wide Right 2", four-straight early exits from the postseason, an endless string of injuries... it just seems like we've been on this roller coaster before.     

Not even close.  See my reply to amprov56.  I can also add the "good ol' days" of Dick Jauron's philosophy of playing not to lose by too much.

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. BB really altered peoples minds on success for coaches. Most good coaches have well prepared teams and good culture, but they have their follies from time to time. Tomlin has a ring and two appearances yet some of his decisions and running of the ship have been questionable at points, Pete Carroll did a tremendous job in Seattle but has a huge blemish from the SB, Mike Shanahan did great in DEN and has been lukewarm since, etc.. The greats are the greats and their is a reason you get maybe one per decade. Andy Reid until KC won a SB was forever laughed at for his time mgmt skills in PHI and inability to breakthrough and now is probably a top 5 coach ever. I do have a time coming where soon if McD doesn't break through they need to replace him and give Josh a different guy in his prime, but it isn't there yet. ALSO everyone who mentions replacing Sean I always ask who is your replacement and are they an actual upgrade? That usually doesn't go as swimmingly in response haha.

That's the rub.  Consider that Andy Reid coached in Philly for 14 seasons, but was fired because he didn't bring home a Lombardi.   They replaced him with Chip Kelly who lasted less than 3 seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

That's the rub.  Consider that Andy Reid coached in Philly for 14 seasons, but was fired because he didn't bring home a Lombardi.   They replaced him with Chip Kelly who lasted less than 3 seasons.

And then they won the Lombardi.

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

Because I've been a Bills fan since 1963, I sure as hell know what a bad football team looks like, and the 2024 Bills ain't a bad football team.    I witnessed first-hand the hopeless non-NFL caliber teams of the 1970s;  the badly coached teams in the 1980s after Chuck Knox left and before Marv took over; and the management of the team that put profits far ahead of winning football games that resulted in the Drought.  Pegula, Beane and McDermott are doing their best to put the best team they can on the field and win a Lombardi, which is good enough for me. 

I am not going to whine about the Bills like they're perennial bottom feeders and demand a regime change just for change's sake.   Nothing on the field is guaranteed in the NFL, which is why games are played on grass and turf and not on paper, so before I jump on the bandwagon to get rid of the HC and/or the GM, I have to see actual evidence the HC and/or GM have actually failed, not the accusations of random fans on a message board.

If that's being "one of those rose colored glassed people",  I don't particularly care.

Nailed it!!  I believe this board just mirrors our society in general, where there is a small group on both sides of any issue represent an extreme viewpoint, whereas the majority is really somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, the critics tend to be louder than most others and because of that, they want you to think they represent the majority view. I often wonder if the folks that want big organizational changes actually enjoy watching the games or if they're too preoccupied on what NEEDS to be different. Personally I fully expect the Bills to be very competitive again this year, but also believe Beane has them setup for a strong run in the coming years with the draft capital he's accumulated and an improved cap situation.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, SoTier said:

Amen!   I remember that the Bills had an interim-HC during some of those years who was acknowledged drunk, an OL that was so bad that WRs were playing QB, and that the players, led by Bruce Smith were ready to mutiny.   Anybody who has memories of those days, cannot help but be an optimist about the current Bills teams. 

Not even close.  See my reply to amprov56.  I can also add the "good ol' days" of Dick Jauron's philosophy of playing not to lose by too much.

Great post, remember the saying “be careful what you ask for, you may get it!”

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

If anything this board has a ton of people who are overly optimistic.

You caught us, we are all making SB reservations for the Bills appearance in February 2025. Sorry dude, not even close, maybe we are the realists! Too much!!!

6 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

You caught us, we are all making SB reservations for the Bills appearance in February 2025. Sorry dude, not even close, maybe we are the realists! Too much!!!

Dude I don't see thread examples of negative threads on the front page. I do see a bunch of examples of overly positive ones that are looking really bad right now.

I guess it's a matter of perspective 

Edited by Sharky7337

1 minute ago, Sharky7337 said:

Dude I don't see thread examples of negative threads don't he front page. I do see a bunch of examples of overly positive ones that are looking really bad right now.

Whatever, you are right, it's all in perspective, if you want to reside in the doom and gloom gang have at it. The rest of use getting ready to enjoy football season. 

2 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Dude I don't see thread examples of negative threads on the front page. I do see a bunch of examples of overly positive ones that are looking really bad right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills take a step back this year with a lot of new faces on the roster. With a lot of money coming off the books after the season then Beane will have an opportunity to reload for 2025. I would expect he will be aggressive in FA in trying to get Allen some help. He couldn't really do that this past offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sharky7337 said:

Dude I don't see thread examples of negative threads don't he front page. I do see a bunch of examples of overly positive ones that are looking really bad right now.

The negativity comes from the comments inside every thread generally.

The board will have negative and positive people.  Both can be over the top. 

The issue is from my perspective, some negative people have to be heard so they become a machine gun of knee jerk hyperbole.  They repeat the same complaint over and over and over so everyone can see how unhappy they are.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The issue is from my perspective, some negative people have to be heard so they become a machine gun of knee jerk hyperbole.  They repeat the same complaint over and over and over so everyone can see how unhappy they are.

Excellent post, it’s one thing to be critical another to constantly be angry and hyper negative; most are hoping massive failure in 2024 to ensure continued relevancy in 2025!

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Honestly I think that tone is mostly set by the crowd and how it's moderated. A lot of board politics is on behind the background. 

Some people just automatically are negative to new posters etc. 

Negative comments I'll def agree upon.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:01 PM, Bill from NYC said:

reading a board full of posts from people who only see the bright side and will be pom pom wavers for anything and everything the Bills do.

This board has never been that.  In fact, those who take an optimistic perspective are frequently the ones beaten down and told they don't know s-h-i-t about football.

There are also far too many self-proclaimed know-it-alls who are patronizing and condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

If there was only one frequent contributor to this board we could all hope to emulate it is @GunnerBill.  He studies and knows his stuff but doesn't condescend to others.  He listens to all viewpoints and if he disagrees, he does so in a respectful manner and provides insight into why he believes the way he does.  His only flaw is that he's just not very funny ;)

It's fun to be optimistic and root for your team.  Crusades like the one you have against McDermott are completely futile and I don't see how doing this brings you any joy.

Cheers and Go Bills

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, eball said:

This board has never been that.  In fact, those who take an optimistic perspective are frequently the ones beaten down and told they don't know s-h-i-t about football.

There are also far too many self-proclaimed know-it-alls who are patronizing and condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

If there was only one frequent contributor to this board we could all hope to emulate it is @GunnerBill.  He studies and knows his stuff but doesn't condescend to others.  He listens to all viewpoints and if he disagrees, he does so in a respectful manner and provides insight into why he believes the way he does.  His only flaw is that he's just not very funny ;)

It's fun to be optimistic and root for your team.  Crusades like the one you have against McDermott are completely futile and I don't see how doing this brings you any joy.

Cheers and Go Bills

Very loose rewrite here

let's not pretend @GunnerBill didn't run a two year crusade against Allen 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

If anything this board has a ton of people who are overly optimistic.

I don't think so. There are a few overly optimistic posters, but I think there are more overly negative ones.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Cheers and Go Bills

Gunner is one of the ACTUAL realists. He is positive when warranted, and negative when warranted. His opinions are not clouded by emotional outbursts one way or the other.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

Cheers and Go Bills

You seem to be very fond of McDermott, otherwise; why would you be so defensive and let my opinion of him cause you nervous frustration?

I am merely posting my opinion of the Bill's head coach on a Bills board. You can't make me like McDermott as a coach by forcing me to, or by giving me vicious verbal warnings LOL! It really shouldn't matter so much to you what I think.  

Caring this much about my opinion is completely futile and I don't see how doing so brings you any joy.

Cheers and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You're talking about a fan base that is used to not making it to the end goal and is frustrated because of the huge question marks going in to this season.

Do I think our WR corps can be good? Sure. Am I confident in these guys and that they will come up clutch? I don't have an answer for that and I don't enjoy it. Will our safeties be any good? Maybe, but it's hard to have a pair that has great communication when they aren't even playing together now because of all the injuries. There will be a definite drop in S play quality, I think how much it will affect the wins and losses will be a big deal, especially in the division. Milano being out means I can't have confidence in the D as a whole because the LB who stepped up for us last year is not here anymore.

We have some pretty big questions at LB, S, WR and if Josh misses any time you can just count those games as losses because we may as well not even have a QB2, Trubisky is awful and I cannot fathom why he's still on the team other than vibes; I haven't seen anything from the other 2 guys to say they could do anything in an NFL game. This year is more of a question mark than any in recent memory for me because I couldn't even tell you what this team is right now and that is disconcerting.