Why is this board so negative?

BufBills83

11 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

I hear ya, that's how I look at it.  I just read the different threads and its mostly doom and gloom.  Its tough to read anymore.

I've gotta say, I see doom and gloom. But I also see plenty of rainbows and moonbeams and an awful lot of what I guess I'd call hopeful realism as well.

There's room for some gloom, as well as doom. We aren't quite as good a roster this year as we were last, without Diggs and Morse and yadda yadda. That's the most reasonable take.

Plenty of room for optimism too, though. Vegas has us in the top six or seven teams despite that, simply because we show every sign of being a serious contender once again.

6 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Because the loudest people on the internet in general are idiots. The match day threads are a cesspool as soon the Bills play anything but perfectly. 

Well, yeah, this also.

"Why is this board so negative?"

Wide Right - SB 25 loss

Lost Helmet - SB 26 loss

Epic beat down by the Cowboys - SB 27 loss

Lead at halftime, then man handled by the Cowboys in the second half - SB 28 Loss

Music City Miricle 

17 year playoff drought

GMs - Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy brought back, Doug Waley, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix

Coaches - Dick Jauron, Greg Williams, Mikke Mularkey, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Rex Ryan

QBs - Ej Manuel, Jp Losman, Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Billy Joe Hobert, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Nate Peterman, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor

Leodis McKelvin fumbled the ball

Monday Night, in Buffalo, with 6 take aways - Bills lose

Hail Mary to Hopkins

Chiefs beat down Bills - AFCCG Loss

13 Seconds - AFC Divisional Round Loss

Bengals - AFC Divisional Round Loss

Chiefs again - AFC Divisional Round Loss

....There is more but, need I go on?

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

I've gotta say, I see doom and gloom. But I also see plenty of rainbows and moonbeams and an awful lot of what I guess I'd call hopeful realism as well.

There's room for some gloom, as well as doom. We aren't quite as good a roster this year as we were last, without Diggs and Morse and yadda yadda. That's the most reasonable take.

Plenty of room for optimism too, though. Vegas has us in the top six or seven teams despite that, simply because we show every sign of being a serious contender once again.

There is some unknown with a small rebuild/re-tooling of the roster. We are counting on young players to step and fill the void. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills take a step back this year as you mentioned the roster isn't as good but next year is a year for a lot of optimism. A lot of money coming off the books. Beane will have an opportunity to be aggressive in FA in getting elite level weapons for Allen. At least I hope he does. Regardless of how this season plays out I think the Bills will reload instead or rebuild for 2025 and go all in for a Super Bowl championship.

8 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Wide Right - SB 25 loss

Lost Helmet - SB 26 loss

Lead at halftime, then man handled by the Cowboys in the second half - SB 28 Loss

Music City Miricle 

17 year playoff drought

Coaches - Dick Jauron, Greg Williams, Mikke Mularkey, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Rex Ryan

QBs - Ej Manuel, Jp Losman, Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Billy Joe Hobert, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Nate Peterman, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor

Hail Mary to Hopkins

must be really bad for your health. I'd of jumped off a cliff a long time ago, fortunately I'm not you all full of toxic negativity, over a football game/team. yep, fishing seems more suited for you but hell, you likely would never get a bite...🤣

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Wide Right - SB 25 loss

Lost Helmet - SB 26 loss

Music City Miricle 

17 year playoff drought

Hail Mary to Hopkins

Yeah. Whereas other teams never have any problems or setbacks.

More, what you've got there is a severe pessimist's view of the Bills history.

Just as reasonable to say that we've been one of the absolute best teams in football the past four years or so, who if not for the Chiefs would probably have a Lombardi or two over the stretch.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

That said, I am far less enchanted by McDermott than you are.

I mean frankly posts like this are a huge part of the issue-- not wanting to fire McDermott does not mean that people are "enchanted" by him using any conceivable definition of the word.  It's an inherently antagonistic framing that diminishes the quality of conversation, and has zero cleverness to boot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Do you have any idea what therapy costs?   🤷‍♂️

Technically the Bills still owe therapy to anyone (myself included) who attended the 52-13 beat down on SNF against NE back in 2007. I am still waiting for my compensation to receive medical help

• Haha (+1) 1

Lil bro just discovered the internet. 😉

but happiness is a product of your expectations. This has been a great era of bills football where we have been thought of as SB contenders every year for the last 4 years. On paper, this looks to be our weakest team in a while. Still a good team but the bar has been raised so high, that good isn’t good enough. Personally, I’m still looking forward to the season and have high expectations. But there are certainly valid questions (are these wrs good enough, Milano replacement, will we ever have a good pass rush). 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

must be really bad for your health. I'd of jumped off a cliff a long time ago, fortunately I'm not you all full of toxic negativity, over a football game/team. yep, fishing seems more suited for you but hell, you likely would never get a bite...🤣

OP asked a question...I answered. If you can assume my level of toxicity from answering a question....maybe you're in the wrong profession 🤷‍♂️

You should apply yourself better and become more successful instead of fishing for posts to insert your negative view of others unto them.  Doing this must take its toll on your mental health.

Assumptions are fun!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let’s see, how do I sum up why this board is so negative. I’m going to try and keep this short 

-The 70’s losing streak to the dolphins

-jim Kelly snubbing us

-the Ronnie Harmon drop

-the 4 Super Bowl losses 

-OJ simpson murder 

-Just give it to ‘em 

-Music City Miracle 

-Bills losing to the Steelers backups 

-Bills losing in an improbable walk off field goal the game Kevin Everett almost died 

-The 56-10 SNF loss to the patriots and every other patriots loss 

-The Monday night debacle Vs Dallas

-The Stevie Johnson drop

-The McKelvin Monday night fumble 

Theres so many more but I’m exhausting myself.  I ended in like the early 2010’s I have missed 14 years worth of recent heart break 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sooo my general theory on this is for the mass majority of Bills fans the 2022 season was there make it or break it piece mentally. Coming off 13 seconds virtually everyone league wide was predicting the Bills to be in the SB and break through. Peter King, NBC, ESPN, etc.. they were the pick that year and with Von added the hype train was as max as it gets. It is the only time as a Bills fan I can honestly remember (I was too young for 90s SB days) that league wide we were the team people thought was the top dog. And realistically they proved it going 13-3 and rolling through the season that year regardless of the Dorsey critiques or injuries that happened.

But the loss to CIN was a back breaker for the fanbases mentality. That was when for real the positivity and belief that had been built for years with McBeane seem to evaporate, the Diggs v Allen sideline thing did nothing to help that either, and some real honest questions started being asked about many things. Ever since then there is an element of pessimism that has come back into the minds of fans at this point which I understand and can't say I disagree with. Last year losing at home to KC in such a close fashion only added more to this fire. Now this offseason you lost a lot of core players who were good and you could trust (Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Diggs etc) and there are no answers yet as the season hasn't started (the offense feels like a big question mark given the WR corp). For basically 5 years now Allen has been playing at a high level and we haven't broken through. Now mentally for fans it really feels like regression when you see this offseason which only compounds into the mentality that came into view once they lost to CIN.

I have held the belief that the franchise is haunted forever by the four SB losses and that the pressure on the good teams that come after will be enormous until a ring is won. Bills fans have been through a lot with maybe only the Viking fanbase being equivalent in pain (Sorry CLE/DET fans but SB losses are far more painful then what you have went through). You mix that history in with the inability to break through now for 5 years running and there is due to be some backlash and regression in the mind.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Not sure I agree with your premise, that the board inclines negative. Certainly people lament injuries and complain bitterly when the team loses, but I see (and use, I confess) the board as a much-needed space for catharsis at those times. For the most part, people here are upbeat, I find.

What I don't like is the trashing of posters who post plausible views that don't paint a rosy picture of the Bills' prospects. For example, that a draft pick might be a bust, or another team might be better. Then the insults and personal attacks come out, and the thread is clogged with flame wars. But that's the board at its worse. I wouldn't make this site a every-day habit if it didn't offer a lot more than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cause the board is mentally weak and defends its tender ego by constantly lashing out and blaming everything on a coach or player.  They claim they want success yet define it solely based on winning a SB.  They only see negative instead of enjoying some football during one of our most talented and successful stretches of years. Then lash out against anyone who chooses to enjoy and root for the team as rosey glasses or homers.  Deeply hurt tough guy routine.  

Edited by nedboy7
  • Sad 1

greetings.

a lot of thoughtful replies here.  . I think the vast majority of posters are excited for the future and its possibities. It doesn't mean everything is Perfect. 

My mom had an expression "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". This board exists to discuss our opinions.  They can gripe and grip and worry all day and night. 

It really doesn't bother me at all. It drives discussion. And we also have the option to CHOOSE what and who to read. There is that too. Ignore feature works great just sayin'. and the follow list as well.

If the sole solace for all the super negative posters  is a super bowl championship I hope (for all our  sakes actually)   it happens sooner rather than later. Right? RIGHT.!

41 minutes ago, Avisan said:

I mean frankly posts like this are a huge part of the issue-- not wanting to fire McDermott does not mean that people are "enchanted" by him using any conceivable definition of the word.  It's an inherently antagonistic framing that diminishes the quality of conversation, and has zero cleverness to boot.

I have been posting back and forth with @GunnerBill for a considerable amount of time. He is one of my favorite posters. We don't always agree but I highly doubt that he is "antagonized" by my posts. If my posts were causing him distress (and I see zero possibility of this) I'm sure that he would let me know and I would gladly apologize.

As for you, if my posts about my views of the Bills antagonize you all THAT much, I do suggest that you employ the ignore feature. It works well, and I intend to use it on you. i don't think that you bring a whole hell of alot to the board, and I'm fairly certain that we will not miss each other.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Cause the board is mentally weak and defends its tender ego by constantly lashing out and blaming everything on a coach or player.  They claim they want success yet define it solely based on winning a SB.  They only see negative instead of enjoying some football during one of our most talented and successful stretches of years. Then lash out against anyone who chooses to see he good in the team as Reese glasses or homers.  Deeply hurt tough guy routine.  

Can we get to some AFC championship games? Maybe have a Super Bowl appearance? Anything other than that with a qb like Josh Allen is to say the least disappointing.  Losing with 13 seconds left, fake punts at your 30 yd line in the 3rd quarter in a one score game last year.  Blame has to go somewhere.  It appears you and I have very different measures of defining success.  Early playoff exits, at least to me is not one of them.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah. Whereas other teams never have any problems or setbacks.

More, what you've got there is a severe pessimist's view of the Bills history.

Just as reasonable to say that we've been one of the absolute best teams in football the past four years or so, who if not for the Chiefs would probably have a Lombardi or two over the stretch.

He went to significant effort to list all the bad things that have happened, while completely ignoring anything and everything good that happened over that same time. I found a lot of good entertainment and had some great times with fellow Bills fans over that same period of time. Some balance in life can be nice. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2