Keon Coleman Plays

MikePJ76

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

well that is not what I did, what I did was grab some frames from plays where I think Allen will hit coleman if he gets these types of looks and is this wide open.  We have a pretty good quarterback and I think he is going to hit Coleman for some big plays on the sideline this year and eventually over the middle for a few.

I can't disagree with the bolded part. 

But, again, Allen is going to miss or not look the way of plenty of open receivers, but there's no reason to believe he wouldn't connect with some other receiver on every play you screenshot.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

It just depends on when the QB pulls the trigger. If the ball is already in the air at the time of those snapshots, it is probably a reception. But if he throws it right then, I think the safeties get there. Holes close up faster than you think, and safeties can cover ground. Luckily, Josh also has a powerful arm and can zip those in there.

I agree completely.

I just think with Allen's abilities and Colemans leaping abilities and catching ability a play like the interception play where Coleman is right in the hole of a cover 2 (or whichever zone they were in with the corner squatting) like that Allen is going to hit him on the sideline right in between them, like the pitt 46 or 47 on that particular play.  Allen will see the zone before he snaps the ball and probably look at coleman first or second on this play.  

Either way we are all right and wrong here, I just think Coleman is going to be OK.

• Agree 1

While I disagree with the premise that Coleman was "wide open" on all of those plays, he was "wide open" on a couple of them and simply "open" on the others.  I'd say "wide open" is when there's no defender nearby who would even have a chance to make a play on the ball, whereas "open" might mean that Coleman has a step or inside position on the defender and a good throw on the mark should be an easy completion (absent a drop).  In either case, I agree with the original premise that there were completions to Coleman available on all of these plays and that with Allen at QB, some of them would have been completed passes.  Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Pretty much, at least as far as us fans go.  But the coaches have seen a lot of these guys working with Josh during camp and the reports were mostly positive (before the injuries).  I guess I'm just going to look at things through rose colored glasses until reality hits (whatever that may turn out to be) during weeks 1 and 2.

Completely agree. I was looking at it from a fan standpoint.  Obviously Brady will determine his week1 pecking order based on the camp. I guess my personal frustration stems from a) having garbage backups throwing "quails" to your new group...b) a super vanilla play calling that equally gives us fans no clue what's going on with these receivers?  I'll be glad when preseason drops to 2 games because we get nothing from them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

Just killing time here at the moment and went and looked at the all 22.  Not going to talk about the slant at the goal line because I have said my peace here, it was a terrible throw and as Bill Walsh said slants are to be six inches in front of the numbers and never high.

anyway,

Here are a couple of plays where I think had Josh Allen been in the game the ball goes to Coleman and a few of them are chunk plays of 20 yards (ish).  For whatever reason Trubisky did not even look his way a number of times and another time it was Ben Dinucci and you can not put any fault on him after being on the team for 3 days.

This play  Coleman ran from outside on the left he was wide open and although trubisky had pressure if that is Josh, that ball is going to Coleman.  Its a 20 yard play missed.

KC-Deep-IN.jpg

Here is a simple curl, pressure again but if that is Josh that ball is going to coleman.

KC-Curl.jpg

Here off of play action coleman is running a cross and again although there is pressure this is a ball Allen is firing to Coleman

KC-PADRAG.jpg

KC-PADRAG-2.jpg

This play Coleman is wide open and who knows how far he will run, this is DiNucci though and its not fair to blame him.  But in the regular season if a team plays a zone coverage like this Allen is hitting Coleman for a big play

KC-wideopen9.jpg

This play is the Trubisky interception where he was just staring to his left and then made a horrific throw, again if this is Allen I believe this ball is going to Coleman who is right in the window of the zone between the corner and safety.  This could be a play where Coleman gets a high ball and has to go up and get it on the sideline.  This is another 20 yard play.

KC-interception.jpg

anyway, its preseason so teams are just sitting in zones and not really scheming to force quarterbacks to move, or to throw it to a certain spot etc...but if Coleman gets these looks in the regular season Allen is going to hit him.   I think the stuff I have read about this kid is pretty foolish and pretty premature.

As someone who also watched the All-22 both weeks myself, I have said in both my reviews that Coleman as well as other key receivers have been getting open consistently.  Mitch has had no vision out there and either holds the ball too long, can’t see them or makes a late or terrible throw.  So glad someone else posted this and provided the pics as I barely have time to do the write ups I did let alone the hassle of getting pics in here.  

Excellent post and work 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I thought Mitch stunk when he was here a couple years ago. He seems way worse now. 

It's interesting to see his regression. He was decent his first few years.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's interesting to see his regression. He was decent his first few years.

Mitch Trubisky is what you get when you order a Tony Romo from Temu

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Just killing time here at the moment and went and looked at the all 22.  Not going to talk about the slant at the goal line because I have said my peace here, it was a terrible throw and as Bill Walsh said slants are to be six inches in front of the numbers and never high.

anyway,

Here are a couple of plays where I think had Josh Allen been in the game the ball goes to Coleman and a few of them are chunk plays of 20 yards (ish).  For whatever reason Trubisky did not even look his way a number of times and another time it was Ben Dinucci and you can not put any fault on him after being on the team for 3 days.

This play  Coleman ran from outside on the left he was wide open and although trubisky had pressure if that is Josh, that ball is going to Coleman.  Its a 20 yard play missed.

KC-Deep-IN.jpg

Here is a simple curl, pressure again but if that is Josh that ball is going to coleman.

KC-Curl.jpg

Here off of play action coleman is running a cross and again although there is pressure this is a ball Allen is firing to Coleman

KC-PADRAG.jpg

KC-PADRAG-2.jpg

This play Coleman is wide open and who knows how far he will run, this is DiNucci though and its not fair to blame him.  But in the regular season if a team plays a zone coverage like this Allen is hitting Coleman for a big play

KC-wideopen9.jpg

This play is the Trubisky interception where he was just staring to his left and then made a horrific throw, again if this is Allen I believe this ball is going to Coleman who is right in the window of the zone between the corner and safety.  This could be a play where Coleman gets a high ball and has to go up and get it on the sideline.  This is another 20 yard play.

KC-interception.jpg

anyway, its preseason so teams are just sitting in zones and not really scheming to force quarterbacks to move, or to throw it to a certain spot etc...but if Coleman gets these looks in the regular season Allen is going to hit him.   I think the stuff I have read about this kid is pretty foolish and pretty premature.

These type of threads are what makes this place great.  It gives context and not just box score scouting.  

Awesome work Mike.

• Like (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I thought Mitch stunk when he was here a couple years ago. He seems way worse now. 

The thing I noticed this year with him, he is throwing ducks into spots that are going to get a receiver knocked out. One throw, Coleman saw the safety T-ed up and he wisely let the ball go inc. Had he tried hard for that ball, He's taking a huge hit. Terrible anytime, borderline unforgivable in preseason. I hope Mitch only gets mop up duty or shakes off whatever the Steelers did to him.

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I am now on record disagreeing with Coleman on the play.  

😃

For me, I didn't mind it in preseason.  I think in the regular season, I would want him to get that or go fully into the ball and just take the hit.

Coleman is going to say he's supposed to catch anything thrown his way....I like that attitude.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

well that is not what I did, what I did was grab some frames from plays where I think Allen will hit coleman if he gets these types of looks and is this wide open.  We have a pretty good quarterback and I think he is going to hit Coleman for some big plays on the sideline this year and eventually over the middle for a few.

I hope so man!

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He should have caught the ball. Despite it being a bad throw.

If it was the regular season, I would want him to get it.  

I'm just not sure I want a guy in a preseason game to put his body in the line on a throw like that.  That safety has a clear shot at him with a ball thrown like that and he might be trying to win a job....he isn't holding back on the hit.  At least that's my perspective.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If it was the regular season, I would want him to get it.  

I'm just not sure I want a guy in a preseason game to put his body in the line on a throw like that.  That safety has a clear shot at him with a ball thrown like that and he might be trying to win a job....he isn't holding back on the hit.  At least that's my perspective.

I see that to an extent. But Keon Coleman should still FEEL like he is in prove it mode with every single snap. 

• Like (+1) 3