(Trigger Warning) Haven’t been this disinterested in an upcoming Bills season in a long time

JaCrispy

39 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they reach 9 wins.  A lot of people here are in for a rude awakening.   It's time to adjust expectations.   It's going to be a brutal year

That's pretty extreme. I'm very down on the Bills this year, but I Think it'll be nearly impossible for them to get less than 9 wins. I think you can write down 10 wins based on our schedule without worrying too much: AZ,MIA,JAX,NYJ,TEN,SEA,MIA,IND, NE, NE. The Rams should be a win too, so even if they lose one of those that they should win, like MIA, JAX or IND, they'll still hit 10. We should absolutely sweep NE, history says we sweep MIA, and we should split with the Jets. That's 5 and SEA, TEN, AZ are dumpster fires which brings us to 8. The Rams are long in the tooth and lost their biggest weapon, while Jacksonville chronically underachieves.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, K D said:

Jets and Dolphins both have rosters that far surpass that of the Bills imo. The question remains, can they put it all together and consistently win games. We'll see! 

At the end of the day we have Josh Allen and they don't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

We were an ascending team, and I was so high, knowing the sky was the limit…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

I feel just the same way.  They had a great shot at the SB 2-3 years ago but things have regressed.

I think that I'm getting old.  In my youth, the Bills went 2-14 *twice* (this excludes the OJ years in the 1970s where I was incapable of reading -- I was lower than 3rd grade -- a defense and/or offense), then followed up with more coaching churn and, while having an AFCG appearance in 1988, a highly disappointing year in 1989, then followed by a dominant season that was culminated by Wide Right (and the rest to follow).

Do I foresee a season of reckoning for the Bills this year?  Possibly.  Do I think that this squad is DOA with JA17 under center?  No.

I've literally seen everything, save for a SB win, for this team in my multiple decades of fandom.  During the lengthy drought, there was no JA17, like at all.

Literally anything can happen.  Keep the faith.  I'm kinda holding my breath around expectations this year, but most certainly I'll be watching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

We were an ascending team, and I was so high, knowing the sky was the limit…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

Sorry to hear that my guy.  I have almost similar thoughts, but they really only surround 4 things-

- Joe Brady

- Bobby Babich

- Injuries

- Tyler Bass

-  i feel that a good OC can make what we have into a championship caliber offense-  remember, we have Josh Allen.  Not sure if Brady is a good OC yet.  I think a healthy Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Samuel, Keon, Hollins , Cook, Davis are good enough with 17 as long as the OL is solid

-  I have no clue how good of a DC Babich is/will be.  

-  neither the OC or the DC have much of a chance if the injuries continue to mount.

-  playoff games sometimes come down to FG kickers-  I don’t have any confidence in the once reliable Bass.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sorry to hear that my guy.  I have almost similar thoughts, but they really only surround 4 things-

- Joe Brady

- Bobby Babich

- Injuries

- Tyler Bass

-  i feel that a good OC can make what we have into a championship caliber offense-  remember, we have Josh Allen.  Not sure if Brady is a good OC yet.  I think a healthy Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Samuel, Keon, Hollins , Cook, Davis are good enough with 17 as long as the OL is solid

-  neither the OC or the DC have much of a chance if the injuries continue to mount.

-  playoff games sometimes come down to FG kickers-  I don’t have any confidence in the once reliable Bass.  

OK, I'll bite:

1. I'm not that worried about Brady. He had nobody in Carolina, so I don't hold that against him. It's not like anyone did any better with that roster after he was booted. Joe Burrow gives him SOOOOO much credit for his growth and success at LSU and I choose to believe that he'll be OK
  2. I have no idea about Babich, but it's still McDermott's defense for better or for worse
  3. Injuries suck
  4. There is no way that the team will let a kicker tank a season. If Bass misses kicks to start the year they will address it.

What I don't understand is why they traded Diggs with no plan to replace him. As a fan, I want STARS at the skill positions. Football is more fun that way. We have no stars, although I think that Shakir and Kincaid could be by the end of this season but that is a big if for a contending team. But I will agree that most of TBD would be ecstatic with a team of Josh Allen and 52 WRs. Last year, the way people talked about #2 WRs you would think that they cured cancer and/or gave BJs. 

25 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

OK, I'll bite:

1. I'm not that worried about Brady. He had nobody in Carolina, so I don't hold that against him. It's not like anyone did any better with that roster after he was booted. Joe Burrow gives him SOOOOO much credit for his growth and success at LSU and I choose to believe that he'll be OK
  2. I have no idea about Babich, but it's still McDermott's defense for better or for worse
  3. Injuries suck
  4. There is no way that the team will let a kicker tank a season. If Bass misses kicks to start the year they will address it.

What I don't understand is why they traded Diggs with no plan to replace him. As a fan, I want STARS at the skill positions. Football is more fun that way. We have no stars, although I think that Shakir and Kincaid could be by the end of this season but that is a big if for a contending team. But I will agree that most of TBD would be ecstatic with a team of Josh Allen and 52 WRs. Last year, the way people talked about #2 WRs you would think that they cured cancer and/or gave BJs. 

I assume Diggs got traded because Josh and the coaches couldn’t put up with him anymore.  No way Beane takes that kind of cap hit for no good reason.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I assume Diggs got traded because Josh and the coaches couldn’t put up with him anymore.  No way Beane takes that kind of cap hit for no good reason.

But yet Beane is blamed completely for the WR position when Diggs is a malcontent that forced the Bills hand to trade him and take the big cap hit and leave a void in the WR corp.  That's not on Beane and he shouldn't be blamed for most of this situation.

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

- Joe Brady

- Bobby Babich

- Injuries

- Tyler Bass

The Bills will make the playoffs.  I'll put any amount of money down if someone wants to bet me on that.

44 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

But yet Beane is blamed completely for the WR position when Diggs is a malcontent that forced the Bills hand to trade him and take the big cap hit and leave a void in the WR corp.  That's not on Beane and he shouldn't be blamed for most of this situation.

The Bills will make the playoffs.  I'll put any amount of money down if someone wants to bet me on that.

I don’t get the OP.  I have been a fan since 1960 and have always looked forward to each season.  Even when it was the Dan Darraugh or Bruce Matheson led teams, when you knew there was little if any hope, I still looked forward to the games.

I suspect Beane is doing his job.  I am sure he’s keeping an eye on available WRs.  Depending how bad Samuel’s injury is there may even be a trade for a guy.   

Looking at recent drafts Beane went after a WR with his first pick this year, a pass catching TE in round 1 last year, and a pass catching RB in round 2 the year before.  Plus he had a guy in Diggs we knew was good, and a guy in Davis that had flashed good.  So it may be trendy to say we’d done nothing to improve the pass game, but we had.  

Fans have the luxury of cherry picking but Beane has to build a team.  When he sees two safeties getting older, he has to get a guy there and takes Bishop.  Last year he knew he had to shore up the O line interior and took Torrence.  And so on.

So could he have traded up to draft a more stud WR the last year or so?  Sure.  But would one guy make that huge a difference?  Don’t know.

One of the funny things to me is the continual harping on not doubling up on a WR in later rounds this year.  We have done so recently.  We got Shakir on day 3 and he’s working out well.  We got Shorter last year and he might make the practice squad at best.  That is what happens with day 3 picks.  The assumption some 3rd day pick would have walked in and been a star this year is humorous.  There is no difference between taking a flyer like that vs. taking a flyer on some FAs as they did.

The success of this offense as I keep saying is Brady.  Can he run an offense that effectively uses the weapons at hand?  We’ll find out soon.  And if Brady needs more talent at WR he’ll let Beane know (as will Josh I suspect) and he’ll do what he can to find some.  

No matter how things proceed, it’s football.  It’s the Bills.  How can you not be excited?

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Lost said:

Beane prefers to oversaturate with Mid talent instead of investing in a handful of elite playmakers.

Been saying it over and over again. They focus too much on culture guys. It’ll be there undoing 

11 hours ago, benderbender said:

I’m also not super enthusiastic for the season after Saturday. Watched Mahomes on the Acrisure Stadium jumbotron throw backyard behind the back passes while playing a full half to find our coach thinks our QB can’t play a single snap on slightly moist turf. The most valuable asset in the NFL was loose and had fun, while our QB was in moisture lock because he might get a boo boo. 

You know, against a quarter and change of Russell Wilson and the rest of the game against Fields who danced the lambada all over the place. But then Tomlin must be just a gambler, right?  

While yours is very funny. There’s truth here. I was appalled w McD response after chi preseason game. It’s a BS pre season game. You can have that message to your players on mon for practice to bring the intensity up. But he’s SO uptight / defensive / INSECURE with things. That’s a BIG part why we have these crunch time blunders in playoffs. It’s him.

• Eyeroll 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Dolphins don't IMO. Their receivers are better and their safties are better (can say that of two thirds of the league this year). The only other position I give them an edge is running back. Everywhere else I'll take the Bills. It was less commented upon but the Dolphins lost guys this offseason too. 

I can take an argument that the Jets roster is better - it certainly has some young ascending guys. That all comes down to whether the jerk playing Quarterback still cares and can still play.

Yea. Mia team has been PURGED. Their OL is sad. And their box 7 D is weak. (J Phillips isn’t gonna do anything this year off an Achilles). They should be ripe for giving up 200 yards a game as teams pound them and thus keeping tua and O off field.

4 hours ago, appoo said:

Every so often I catch myself thinking "Maybe Josh has like, a paper cut, and we put him on IR, tank, and get the first pick of the draft, and the top of the draft in every round, and we have a crap ton of FA space...and man we can build death star"...

Like Video game me has done this before

You’re not crazy. I really don’t know why more teams try this. Sacrifice 1 year for 3-4 prime. Just make up an injury. Spare me the honor / love of the game crap

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

One point of having an offensive minded regime is getting Josh weapons.  The WR problem is brought on by McBeane. 

Take the new Tenn guy, B Callahan, the previous offensive coordinator for Cincy.  He came in and brought C Ridley and Boyd to go along with DHop and T Burks.  Clearly prioritzing WRs.  Chicago brought in Keenan and drafted Rome while having DJ Moore.  Even San Fran who has Deebo and Aiyuk (along w Kittle+McCaffery) double dipped in the draft.

McBeane's defensive leanings certainly affect the type of team we will be.  It can still win, it's just the style in which they want to do it that is frustrating to many.  Would like to see Josh have good weapons.  

I Mean. It’s not even close . Leanings - more like egregious imbalance. They spend a TON of their free agent $ on defense. And the top 1-4 rounds of picks are heavily slanted on D 

I understand being less optimistic but I'll never be less interested. I was interested when EJ Manuel was battling Kyle Orton for the starting job. Why wouldn't I be interested now? All the discussion here is fun but ultimately no one knows how the season will turn out. Surprises happen constantly in the NFL. Maybe Coleman becomes a superstar. Maybe Babich and Brady are wunderkinds. I may not have the highest expectations but I'm excited as hell to see how it all comes together.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

Why bet with anonymous posters online? Take that savings and lay it on the over season’s 9.5 total wins. If they are to make the playoffs they’d have to get 10 wins.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

At the end of the day we have Josh Allen and they don't. 

This is where my offseason focus has been lost or reduced. 

I use to look at the draft and scouting and then training camp and preseason but now at the end of the day we will win games bc of Josh Allen or lose them.

Yes we could have better players around here and there but with the salary cap we will have holes.

I am more blah about the offseason but once week one hits everything comes right back 

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's pretty extreme. I'm very down on the Bills this year, but I Think it'll be nearly impossible for them to get less than 9 wins. I think you can write down 10 wins based on our schedule without worrying too much: AZ,MIA,JAX,NYJ,TEN,SEA,MIA,IND, NE, NE. The Rams should be a win too, so even if they lose one of those that they should win, like MIA, JAX or IND, they'll still hit 10. We should absolutely sweep NE, history says we sweep MIA, and we should split with the Jets. That's 5 and SEA, TEN, AZ are dumpster fires which brings us to 8. The Rams are long in the tooth and lost their biggest weapon, while Jacksonville chronically underachieves.

When is the last time the Bills beat the Jags?  I don't see a Miami sweep

Two years ago, the Rams won the SB.... They went all in and it worked. Then they went on to not be so hot the following year. It's the nature of the league with free agency. ... I don't like everything Beane has done but he has put a damn good team out there in his time here. This year could be a down year or a great year. Ya never know. So much comes down to good fortune like bounces, injuries, officials calls and such. What happens if Diggs doesn't drop the TD pass against KC and Bass makes the FG? .... luck plays in a lot regardless of the talent you have. .... This is supposed to be a down year for the Bills but I'll wait and see. Anything can happen and Josh won't be retiring foe at least another 7-8 years so hold tight and enjoy this ride. ..... Been watching a long time but I'm not giving up or losing faith in the current regime. These are good times. ...... I think they will bring it home before too long. ....  That's that.