(Trigger Warning) Haven’t been this disinterested in an upcoming Bills season in a long time

JaCrispy

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Personally, I'm entirely invested in this season.

The fact that Josh is our QB and McD is running our defense already makes us competitive.  Josh is an offensive force of nature and McD is the kind of defensive schemer who can make lemonade out of lemons.  

I'm super curious to see what Brady will do.  Daboll failed in his first stints as an OC but learned a lot through those, and other, experiences.  He put a lot of points on the scoreboard with the Bills.  Brady is young and smart.  Maybe this is the year he emerges as a top OC.  Maybe not.  Whatever happens, I want to see it.

I'm super curious about the receiver group.  Are they as bad as the pessimists fear or as good as the optimists hope?  How will Samuel do with a good QB?  Will Shakir continue his growth?   Will Keon prove he was worthy of a high draft pick?  Will Kincaid breakout as a legitimate star?  Will Kincaid-Knox be the new Gronk-Hernandez, minus the shootings?  

I'm curious about the secondary with Hyde, Poyer, and White all gone.   In fact, I remain curious about nearly everything.  And while I doubt if a Super Bowl is in the cards, I do expect a good (playoff) season.

But you're spoiling the post narrative!

• Like (+1) 1

I am just as interested as the past few seasons

My expectations are a bit lower, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since they always fail to meet my expectations because they have been so high

I am excited to see Josh Allen lead this team and to see if he can run a successful offense with the receiving group he has

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, notpolian said:

I have a theory about that.  Pegula also owns the Sabres, and they have been a non-playoff trainwreck for a LONG time.  I believe he thinks the Bills are in good hands and does not want another Sabres situation.  So he will stick with Beane and McDermott for longer than most owners would.

I don’t disagree with this, even though I find it super weak.

In the past I’ve been really mad that they are wasting Joshs’ prime, but realized the past year or so that Josh could change it tomorrow if he wanted, yet he doesn’t.  Josh must also be ok with this good but not great, family and culture before anything it takes to win a Super Bowl mentality.  Liking each other, all getting along and culture are just more important to them than winning a Super Bowl.  

So I have adjusted my expectations and give a f**k accordingly.

I get what you're saying but this is the type of year when a contender finally wins it all. 

Many of the last Super Bowl winners were not exactly expected going into the year. It's not like it was a total shock, but there were serious questions about them. 

All that matters is being in the game. Whether that's the AFC Title Game or the Super Bowl, because you never know. 

You could dress last year's Browns and stick them vs the 49ers in the Super Bowl and they would have a 50/50 shot at winning. But you can't win if you're not in the game. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Go Bills! It should be an interesting season for sure. I hope our D can step up and keep us in games, especially when we have the lead. I think our O will be fine enough to score when needed. It will be stressful, ugly but fun! GO BILLS!!

We're still around 7-8 in most power rankings I've seen. I don't put a ton of stock in those, but it kind of just shows how spoiled we've become by expectations.

Maybe we have less of a chance to contend for a title this year - but it's still a GOOD chance.  We've been derailed by some key injuries in previous seasons, and particularly last year.  If we happen to be the healthier team when January rolls around this year, I'd love our chances to finally get to the Superbowl.

If Allen stays healthy they still have a good chance to get in, and that's all that matters.  No matter how much people want to slander the WRs,  Allen will get the ball to them and the TE's.  There will be plenty of pass catchers. The Oline is pretty good and the RB depth actually looks sneaky good compared to how they are being thought of nationally.  The D may bend but hopefully doesn't break to pieces.  The other teams in the NFL won't be 100% healthy either.  

Just enjoy the season and if it doesn't go our way, look forward to 2025 which will be a good one.

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

What…no…how did you even get that out of my post?  I’m simply saying it’s frustrating having the 2nd best QB in the NFL, the best Bills QB of all time, and can’t make the SB year in and year out after dominating the regular season.  I have little to no confidence McD can get us to the promise land because of previous results.  

I'm repeating this from a post I made a while ago. You guys need to get over this idea that just because you have an elite QB you should be in the Super Bowl every year or every other year (or the coach sucks). But, that's not the NFL. It's just not as easy as you guys think. That is the exception (Brady/Mahomes), not the rule, as I show below.

-Drew Brees (future HOF, top 5 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 20 years (with Sean Payton as his coach for most of his career)

-Peyton Manning (HOF, top 3 all-time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in his first 13 years with Indy (HOF Tony Dungy coaching a good chunk)

-Dan Marino (HOF, top 10 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (loss) in 17 years (with HOF Don Shula as his coach)

-Aaron Rodgers (future HOF, top 10 All-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 19 seasons 

-Brett Favre (HOF, top 10-12 All-Time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in 20 years (Mike Holmgren coaching for much of his career)

So, that is a total of 89 seasons from these top-10 All-Time QBs (who all had excellent to HOF coaching for most of their careers) and only 4 Super Bowl wins between them (7 Super Bowl appearances). So, that means there were 82 of 89 seasons where these top-10, HOF QBs didn't even make a Super Bowl appearance (that's 92% of their careers). Even if we add Peyton's time (and SBs) in Denver (when he was a shell of himself), it is still 84 of 93 seasons not making a Super Bowl appearance (or 90% of the time). Just because we have Josh doesn't make it automatic. Of course, part of the problem for Peyton and Dan Marino were Brady/Pats and Kelly/Bills, respectively. Similar to Josh with Mahomes/Chiefs. Plus there is luck, injuries, salary caps, etc. to weigh in each season. 

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I have the following concerns/questions:

1.  Frustrated over the rebuild year thing, the lowered expectations.  This was a choice made by McB+Pegula.  Plus even in choosing a rebuild not to double dip on WRs irritates me.  

2.  What happens if even the lowered expectations aren't met (no playoffs)?  Are McBeane fired?  Do we then get an offensive minded regime?  Or has this been a pre-arranged mulligan year?

3.  If expectations are met, will it mean they continue with the pathetic WR room?  Or is this a one time thing.  

I have heard this sentiment a good bit over the last couple years (the bolded). I know the NFL is leaning to hiring offensive head coaches, but having a defensive head coach hasn't exactly been a drag for our offense.

Over the last 5 years (2019-2023), the Bills are 2nd in overall wins; 5th in total points scored; 4th in total TDs; 2nd in 3rd down conversion %; 3rd in total first downs.

It's not like our offense has been hamstrung by it. And, just for example, many talked about wanting Sean Payton before he went to Denver. An offensive-minded coach who has won a Super Bowl. But, as my post above shows, Payton had HOF QB Drew Brees for 15 seasons and only made one Super Bowl appearance (which of course was a win)---and had a couple of heart-breaking, last second playoff losses (not dissimilar to McDermott). What would this board have been like going 11 straight years with HOFer Drew Brees as your QB and ZERO Super Bowl appearances? The grass isn't always greener.

The injuries have definitely put a damper on things, but I'm still excited for the season. I'm excited to see what the 2024 version of the Bills will look like. Which young guys will step up? How will Brady's offense be different? Will Babich be able to inject some juice into the defense? Which players will come into their own, or surprise us? How the team will bond and grow together. I'm crossing my fingers to see a healthy Von terrorize QBs (I know that's a big if). I'm excited to see Dalton become a stud and to see if Shakir is indeed the real deal. Heck, just getting to watch Josh Allen every week is exciting. Let's not count them out before it even begins. Does it look like a bigger hill to climb this year? Sure, because there are so many question marks right now. But that's kind of what makes it exciting too. Even though we have a lot of continuity, there is also a newness to this squad. It will be fun to see how all of those pieces come together and how the questions get answered. If there are more positive answers than negative, who knows where they could go. But yes, it's still a bit of a wait and see at the moment. But I'm in for the ride.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

We aren’t (haven’t been in a few years) a team on the rise or a finished product. We are currently a quarterback and a bunch of question marks. I am also disinterested but expect to be more interested three Sundays from now. 

My expectations are extremely tempered this year, but it's still Bills football. We still have Josh Allen and he's always fun to watch. And because we have Josh Allen, we'll always be competitive. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ja, I know all these years you’re a real Bills fan.  Don’t lose hope buddy.  We may be in a transition year, but I’m not giving up on 10-7 to 11-6.  We’ll have tons of $ next year and can infuse some serious talent.

youre the last person I would’ve thought losing faith.  Hang in there bud.

we’ll be ok.

Dan

Every so often I catch myself thinking "Maybe Josh has like, a paper cut, and we put him on IR, tank, and get the first pick of the draft, and the top of the draft in every round, and we have a crap ton of FA space...and man we can build death star"...

Like Video game me has done this before

Edited by appoo

My interest is also down, and part of that is expectations. For the first time since I was old enough to crawl I haven't watched any of the Bills pre-season games, because I feel like there's nothing I really need to see. I'm not even pumped about the regular season, because for us, it's meaningless. Our season starts in January, and unfortunately I haven't seen the team do anything to address our quick ends to "our season" from the last few years. Despite me being extremely bearish on our WR room, our pass rushers and defensive playmakers in general, I fully expect the Bills to be one of the top 7 teams in the AFC. I really don't care at all if they're #1 Seed or #7. If it has that much bearing on their post-season success, that's another problem.

I'm not sure It's debatable that this is our weakest roster since at least 2018, and it may be worse because there is so very little elite talent on this squad.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, folz said:

I'm repeating this from a post I made a while ago. You guys need to get over this idea that just because you have an elite QB you should be in the Super Bowl every year or every other year (or the coach sucks). But, that's not the NFL. It's just not as easy as you guys think. That is the exception (Brady/Mahomes), not the rule, as I show below.

-Drew Brees (future HOF, top 5 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 20 years (with Sean Payton as his coach for most of his career)

-Peyton Manning (HOF, top 3 all-time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in his first 13 years with Indy (HOF Tony Dungy coaching a good chunk)

-Dan Marino (HOF, top 10 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (loss) in 17 years (with HOF Don Shula as his coach)

-Aaron Rodgers (future HOF, top 10 All-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 19 seasons 

-Brett Favre (HOF, top 10-12 All-Time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in 20 years (Mike Holmgren coaching for much of his career)

So, that is a total of 89 seasons from these top-10 All-Time QBs (who all had excellent to HOF coaching for most of their careers) and only 4 Super Bowl wins between them (7 Super Bowl appearances). So, that means there were 82 of 89 seasons where these top-10, HOF QBs didn't even make a Super Bowl appearance (that's 92% of their careers). Even if we add Peyton's time (and SBs) in Denver (when he was a shell of himself), it is still 84 of 93 seasons not making a Super Bowl appearance (or 90% of the time). Just because we have Josh doesn't make it automatic. Of course, part of the problem for Peyton and Dan Marino were Brady/Pats and Kelly/Bills, respectively. Similar to Josh with Mahomes/Chiefs. Plus there is luck, injuries, salary caps, etc. to weigh in each season. 

I have heard this sentiment a good bit over the last couple years (the bolded). I know the NFL is leaning to hiring offensive head coaches, but having a defensive head coach hasn't exactly been a drag for our offense.

Over the last 5 years (2019-2023), the Bills are 2nd in overall wins; 5th in total points scored; 4th in total TDs; 2nd in 3rd down conversion %; 3rd in total first downs.

It's not like our offense has been hamstrung by it. And, just for example, many talked about wanting Sean Payton before he went to Denver. An offensive-minded coach who has won a Super Bowl. But, as my post above shows, Payton had HOF QB Drew Brees for 15 seasons and only made one Super Bowl appearance (which of course was a win)---and had a couple of heart-breaking, last second playoff losses (not dissimilar to McDermott). What would this board have been like going 11 straight years with HOFer Drew Brees as your QB and ZERO Super Bowl appearances? The grass isn't always greener.

You are manipulating the data set by removing outliers like Brady, Mahomes, Montana, Jimbo, Rothlisberger, and countless other QBs that have been to multiple SBs and only including a select few to prove your point.  For all of the other stats you’re including, that’s regular season where this Bills team under McD has shined (as I clearly stated in my posts).  This team underperforms in the playoffs plain and simple.  

I'm never not excited for the season, even going back to the drought days. I have nothing personally invested in it, I just want to see how the Bills do. Each year brings new players and different story lines. And now that we have Josh Freaking Allen, every year is legitimately exciting. 

I say to the OP:  Put things in their proper perspective, and just be a fan. Maybe the Bills suck this year. But who cares? It doesn't affect our lives at all. At least, it shouldn't. 

Edited by skibum

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I don’t disagree with this, even though I find it super weak.

In the past I’ve been really mad that they are wasting Joshs’ prime, but realized the past year or so that Josh could change it tomorrow if he wanted, yet he doesn’t.  Josh must also be ok with this good but not great, family and culture before anything it takes to win a Super Bowl mentality.  Liking each other, all getting along and culture are just more important to them than winning a Super Bowl.  

So I have adjusted my expectations and give a f**k accordingly.

No way. He had a vivid parade dream and everything.

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

We were an ascending team, and I was so high, knowing the sky was the limit…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they reach 9 wins.  A lot of people here are in for a rude awakening.   It's time to adjust expectations.   It's going to be a brutal year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, folz said:

It's not like our offense has been hamstrung by it.

One point of having an offensive minded regime is getting Josh weapons.  The WR problem is brought on by McBeane. 

Take the new Tenn guy, B Callahan, the previous offensive coordinator for Cincy.  He came in and brought C Ridley and Boyd to go along with DHop and T Burks.  Clearly prioritzing WRs.  Chicago brought in Keenan and drafted Rome while having DJ Moore.  Even San Fran who has Deebo and Aiyuk (along w Kittle+McCaffery) double dipped in the draft.

McBeane's defensive leanings certainly affect the type of team we will be.  It can still win, it's just the style in which they want to do it that is frustrating to many.  Would like to see Josh have good weapons.  

• Like (+1) 2