(Trigger Warning) Haven’t been this disinterested in an upcoming Bills season in a long time

JaCrispy

56 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I’m also not super enthusiastic for the season after Saturday. Watched Mahomes on the Acrisure Stadium jumbotron throw backyard behind the back passes while playing a full half to find our coach thinks our QB can’t play a single snap on slightly moist turf. The most valuable asset in the NFL was loose and had fun, while our QB was in moisture lock because he might get a boo boo. 

You know, against a quarter and change of Russell Wilson and the rest of the game against Fields who danced the lambada all over the place. But then Tomlin must be just a gambler, right?  

You realize that our QB in that game DID get injured, don't you?  What would this board look like if it was Josh instead of Trubisky who went down?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

What…no…how did you even get that out of my post?  I’m simply saying it’s frustrating having the 2nd best QB in the NFL, the best Bills QB of all time, and can’t make the SB year in and year out after dominating the regular season.  I have little to no confidence McD can get us to the promise land because of previous results.  

Because they are the only two AFC coaches to have beaten Mahomes and Reid in the playoffs. That is how he got that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

So which is more absurd? The people who were so high in the offense from a few days of camp? Or the people jumping off bridges now?  

both equally absurd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I guess I just love football because this was the most whiney thread I’ve read in a while.  Even if you think we won’t win a SB this year, why wouldn’t someone be excited to see our younger players play and develop as hopefully future pieces to a SB trophy?  

Guess the team is only worth watching if they are a SB contender to some…also guess that means you’ve watched very little Bills football because we weren’t SB contenders very often.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ditto. I’ll be surprised if they win more than 8 or 9 games. The teams they were expected to beat a couple of years ago have gotten more competitive and the Bills appear to be at sone level of re-tooling. 
We play the AFC South, possibly the weakest division a couple of years ago, but now all 4 teams are respectable. The Bills could be .500 in the division. 
Tough schedule and mediocrity on

the roster. If not for a superstar QB,it would look like a 5-win team. 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

We were an ascending team, and I was so high, knowing the sky was the limit…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

I've had similar feelings, somewhere between doom and indifference.  The normal stuff I used to get hyped over isn't getting reaction but I recognize that part of it is the absolute assault on the senses that we live with every day between social media, phones, the web, whatever.  I barely paid attention to the Chicago preseason game, was too busy following some drama on twitter on my tablet, sitting in a luxury recliner in front of a 77" OLED tv.   

We'll get excited about the regular season starting, though the other side of the coin is that the team as currently constituted, starters dropping like flies, it's getting hard to picture them fielding a full varsity team on week 1.  Enjoy it for what it's worth.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm the exact same level of excited that I have been in late August every year for the past 35+ years I have been closely following the Bills.

Rosters that looked good in preseason or rosters that looked rough really doesn't matter because you never know how it is going to all play out. 

That is exactly what makes the NFL exciting and worth watching in the first place.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wrote this the other day:

The Bills can legitimately claim to be better than 20 teams in the league simply by saying, "We have McDermott and Allen, and you don't." That alone makes the Bills better than 20 teams.

So, if they're better than 20 teams, that means they're in the top 12, which means they're in the playoffs.  That means they're good.  

How good depends on a lot of unknowable things that will happen between now and January.

The Bills are contenders. 

I bet you atleast 5 of those 20 teams (25%) you claim the Bills are better than because of McDermott and Allen, they lost too last year.  

2 hours ago, juno999 said:

My interest is down as well.  For me, I found the last two seasons emotionally draining due mainly to the serious injuries to their best players.  Not to mention, the Damar Hamlin incident.  Plus, the Bills lose some games in excruciating fashion.  The Fish game in the heat, the Vikings game, and the F'n wind game to name a few.  No, I didn't forget 13 seconds.

I'll start by saying I feel sorry for Josh. He's deserved better weapons around him in his career, like you see in KC, Cincy, Balt., Miami and SF.  My excitement for this particular season has definitely diminished with all these early injuries. We gotta find a way or better conditioning regiment to reduce the injuries.

But what do I know?  Maybe Superman will rise above all this noise and pleasantly surprise us?

I've been kinda feeling this way a bit too. However, once the season starts, my rage and anxiety will start also. Personally, I just can't see this team going deep into the playoffs this year. I would've said the same thing last year after the Denver game though too. So we'll see 

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

You might just need a man-boost.   They say it happens to a lot of men over 40.   

FmFb6r3XwAA2fJO.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I think we make the playoffs and compete for division title but each season that passes without a Super Bowl is a failure in my opinion. There are only so many prime Allen years remaining. I look at this year as a mini reset and we roll the dice come playoff time hopefully getting hot at the right time. 

• Agree 1

I am dis-interested in this season for the Bills and the NFL in general.  I'm going to probably watch most of the Bills games, follow the league, but a small fraction of what I used to do.

I think personally I'm an outlier here, but the more something gets hyped up, the more it is talked about, the less interested I am in it.  Right now of the major sports, Hockey is my favorite (wasn't always that way). Why?  I'm not blasted with it, hit over the head with coverage non-stop everytime I open Twitter or turn on ESPN.

I like the game of football.  I don't like the commentators yelling on TV (Stephan A. Smith among others). I don't like non-stop discussions about dynasties, and who is 'the best ever'.  I don't like the fact that if I wanted to go to a game and get a set of 'decent' tickets and some food there, its hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars. (yes, Hockey is getting that way too).

So again, I'll watch the games, but if I miss one? Oh well. I want the Bills to win but if they don't...Oh well.  Its not the game itself that pushed me to where I am now...its not the success or lack of success of my favorite team. Its just the non-stop attention, the fact it seems hard to follow the sport without being suffocated by it.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I am dis-interested in this season for the Bills and the NFL in general.  I'm going to watch most of the games, follow the league, but a small fraction of what I used to do.

I think personally I'm an outlier here, but the more something gets hyped up, the more it is talked about, the less interested I am in it.  Right now of the major sports, Hockey is my favorite (wasn't always that way). Why?  I'm not blasted with it, hit over the head with coverage non-stop everytime I open Twitter or turn on ESPN.

I like the game of football.  I don't like the commentators yelling on TV (Stephan A. Smith among others). I don't like non-stop discussions about dynasties, and who is 'the best ever'.  I don't like the fact that if I wanted to go to a game and get a set of 'decent' tickets and some food there, its hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars. (yes, Hockey is getting that way too).

So again, I'll watch the games, but if I miss one? Oh well. I want the Bills to win but if they don't...Oh well.  Its not the game itself that pushed me to where I am now...its not the success or lack of success of my favorite team. Its just the non-stop attention, the fact it seems hard to follow the sport without being suffocated by it.

I agree with all of this.

I've found things much more enjoyable since I stopped watching/listening to it all many years ago.

The TV goes on at kickoff and goes off when the game is over.

I read this board only and the rare, well-written article that is linked here. Everything else I pay zero attention to.

Give it a shot, you might find yourself more engaged by disengaging.

• Like (+1) 4

I think people are under estimating McDermott in their assessment of this team. He will get the most out of this team. He got a Tyrod team to the playoffs (so what about the Bengals, he still got them to 9-7) went nearly 500 when Josh started the games his rookie year (and is the only season to have not made the playoffs).

Josh also particularly seems dialed in as well. I see 4-2 in the division, which should put us in a good position. Every year people say our schedule is tough, and the last 4 years those have ended with us winning the division.

We get Arizona at home to start which should give another week of some guys that may need to heal up some time as I dont see any of injuries being a reason why we would lose (if that were to happen, I dont think it will though)

11-6 should get us in, and I actually see our team getting better as the year goes on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Idk about everyone else, but I am extremely excited. This is exactly the type of year where the Bills will come out and surprise everyone. Screw all of he pressure they’ve faced previous seasons. This is the way I like it. We have a better O-line, better RBs, a 2nd year Dalton Kincaid and a mid-tier starter in Knox, Rasul Douglas is a major upgrade to start the season compared to last, and the D-line should be equally good but has the potential to be even better. Oh and I almost forgot Josh MFing Allen which makes us contenders all by himself.

I am worried about the injury of Milano, but the Bills seem to have good LB depth. If they can coast to a playoff spot, a fresh Milano heading into the post-season could be a blessing in disguise. WR as well, but if Brady is smart, he will use a stout physical O-line, a better group of RBs, and 2 starting caliber TEs to his advantage. Coleman is a rookie, but rookies receivers sometimes have huge impacts. Safety is a major concern, but if anyone can make it work it’s McDermott who’s DB coaching is arguably the best in the league. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1