(Trigger Warning) Haven’t been this disinterested in an upcoming Bills season in a long time

JaCrispy

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

How old are you? Do you remember being irrelevant for 20+ seasons? 

I lived through most of the miserable times. The 70's, 84-85. Back then a good crowd in 80,000 seat Rich Stadium was 50,000. Many of those games especially late in the year when the weather was miserable the crowds were in the 20,000 - 30,000 range.

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

At the end of the day we have Josh Allen and they don't. 

At this point in his career Rodgers isn't better than Allen. But if he can stay healthy (BIG IF) then he can minimize the QB advantage the Bills have over the Jets. Even at 40 he is a massive upgrade over Wilson obviously. The Jets defense is better than the Bills. On offense the Bills don't have a home run threat like Hall or G. Wilson. The Jets will be tough this year. It won't be easy for the Bills to win the division.

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's pretty extreme. I'm very down on the Bills this year, but I Think it'll be nearly impossible for them to get less than 9 wins. I think you can write down 10 wins based on our schedule without worrying too much: AZ,MIA,JAX,NYJ,TEN,SEA,MIA,IND, NE, NE. The Rams should be a win too, so even if they lose one of those that they should win, like MIA, JAX or IND, they'll still hit 10. We should absolutely sweep NE, history says we sweep MIA, and we should split with the Jets. That's 5 and SEA, TEN, AZ are dumpster fires which brings us to 8. The Rams are long in the tooth and lost their biggest weapon, while Jacksonville chronically underachieves.

That is basically how I see it and then I don't see us going 0fer against the Texans, Ravens, Chiefs, 49ers and Lions. 2-3 in those 5? Sure. 1-4? Wouldn't surprise me. But 0fer in those 5 games with Josh Allen? I'd be shocked. 

• Agree 1

We will always have a chance as long as Allen is the QB. And I am always excited for the start of the season! I know as I get older I don’t consume as much off season news. I actually enjoyed the off season this year, I think I needed the break from disappointment. It actually made the offseason fly by!

We definitely got some holes to fill, who’s going to step up at wr? And if injuries are going to kill us again this year it will be a long season.

as soon as i saw this seasons schedule i tempered my expectations immensely.  its yet another must win every week year,  and thats asking too much in the modern NFL.  i have serious doubts that we even win the division this year.   hoping for a Wildcard is about as positive i can get,  especially with all the injuries and the turnover.   then its probably one and done,  playing on somebody elses homefield in the conference where being a top 5 team guarantees nothing cuz,  Chefs,  Burrows,  Lamar/Ravens D.    we finally get rid of Brady and the Pats,  and now the road seems just as difficult cuz all the talent is in the AFC.  sucks.

I'm kinda there too, but my own circumstances play a much bigger part than anything about the team:

• I moved away from WNY to Virginia last August.  I made it back for every home game last year but one, but it's a haul
  • Impending 99% probable forfeiture of season tickets after next season due to stadium move

So I find myself backing away a little bit both consciously and subconsciously.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'm kinda there too, but my own circumstances play a much bigger part than anything about the team:

• I moved away from WNY to Virginia last August.  I made it back for every home game last year but one, but it's a haul
  • Impending 99% probable forfeiture of season tickets after next season due to stadium move

So I find myself backing away a little bit both consciously and subconsciously.

See this is where I wonder whether franchises like the Bills are making a mistake by alienating long-time loyal customers in order to get the maximum price (or prop up prices in other franchise locales) for the initial PSL sale.  Would they not be better off long-term by focusing on brand loyalty?  I’m biased because I read the Times article on Costco’s business model this morning and the gist is, longtime loyal customers don’t mind being slightly ripped off to the tune of a 17% annual increase in shareholder value going back to inception.  But if they feel gouged they may leave.  The Bills are putting themselves in a situation where they will have enormous pressure to win and stay a priority in a very tough market, every single year, in order to justify their ticket prices.  It’s probably inevitable but I don’t know if it’s healthy and sustainable long-term.

EDIT: also THIS is why Josh Allen deserves every dollar of his contract and more.  I do not think the Bills would be in a position to do that stadium deal and charge these prices in this geographic market and in this inflationary economy if they had been mired in QB hell for the past five years.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

18 hours ago, folz said:

I'm repeating this from a post I made a while ago. You guys need to get over this idea that just because you have an elite QB you should be in the Super Bowl every year or every other year (or the coach sucks). But, that's not the NFL. It's just not as easy as you guys think. That is the exception (Brady/Mahomes), not the rule, as I show below.

-Drew Brees (future HOF, top 5 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 20 years (with Sean Payton as his coach for most of his career)

-Peyton Manning (HOF, top 3 all-time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in his first 13 years with Indy (HOF Tony Dungy coaching a good chunk)

-Dan Marino (HOF, top 10 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (loss) in 17 years (with HOF Don Shula as his coach)

-Aaron Rodgers (future HOF, top 10 All-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 19 seasons 

-Brett Favre (HOF, top 10-12 All-Time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in 20 years (Mike Holmgren coaching for much of his career)

So, that is a total of 89 seasons from these top-10 All-Time QBs (who all had excellent to HOF coaching for most of their careers) and only 4 Super Bowl wins between them (7 Super Bowl appearances). So, that means there were 82 of 89 seasons where these top-10, HOF QBs didn't even make a Super Bowl appearance (that's 92% of their careers). Even if we add Peyton's time (and SBs) in Denver (when he was a shell of himself), it is still 84 of 93 seasons not making a Super Bowl appearance (or 90% of the time). Just because we have Josh doesn't make it automatic. Of course, part of the problem for Peyton and Dan Marino were Brady/Pats and Kelly/Bills, respectively. Similar to Josh with Mahomes/Chiefs. Plus there is luck, injuries, salary caps, etc. to weigh in each season. 

I have heard this sentiment a good bit over the last couple years (the bolded). I know the NFL is leaning to hiring offensive head coaches, but having a defensive head coach hasn't exactly been a drag for our offense.

Over the last 5 years (2019-2023), the Bills are 2nd in overall wins; 5th in total points scored; 4th in total TDs; 2nd in 3rd down conversion %; 3rd in total first downs.

It's not like our offense has been hamstrung by it. And, just for example, many talked about wanting Sean Payton before he went to Denver. An offensive-minded coach who has won a Super Bowl. But, as my post above shows, Payton had HOF QB Drew Brees for 15 seasons and only made one Super Bowl appearance (which of course was a win)---and had a couple of heart-breaking, last second playoff losses (not dissimilar to McDermott). What would this board have been like going 11 straight years with HOFer Drew Brees as your QB and ZERO Super Bowl appearances? The grass isn't always greener.

The injuries have definitely put a damper on things, but I'm still excited for the season. I'm excited to see what the 2024 version of the Bills will look like. Which young guys will step up? How will Brady's offense be different? Will Babich be able to inject some juice into the defense? Which players will come into their own, or surprise us? How the team will bond and grow together. I'm crossing my fingers to see a healthy Von terrorize QBs (I know that's a big if). I'm excited to see Dalton become a stud and to see if Shakir is indeed the real deal. Heck, just getting to watch Josh Allen every week is exciting. Let's not count them out before it even begins. Does it look like a bigger hill to climb this year? Sure, because there are so many question marks right now. But that's kind of what makes it exciting too. Even though we have a lot of continuity, there is also a newness to this squad. It will be fun to see how all of those pieces come together and how the questions get answered. If there are more positive answers than negative, who knows where they could go. But yes, it's still a bit of a wait and see at the moment. But I'm in for the ride.

Another important benefit of an offensive minded HC when you have an elite QB is stability.  If Joe Brady is great this season, he will be gone and Josh will have his 5th OC in his career.

I know Tom Brady is the GOAT with Belichick a defensive HC.  Belichick is the last defensive HC to even make a Super Bowl, and that was the 2018 Season.  More importantly Tom Brady had 2 OCs in 18 years with Patriots, complete stability with QB and OC.

48 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

EDIT: also THIS is why Josh Allen deserves every dollar of his contract and more.  I do not think the Bills would be in a position to do that stadium deal and charge these prices in this geographic market and in this inflationary economy if they had been mired in QB hell for the past five years.

They should really name it Josh Allen stadium because the whole thing never woulda come about if not for him.   The Bills really are in trouble from a ticket sales standpoint if they descend back into mediocrity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

See this is where I wonder whether franchises like the Bills are making a mistake by alienating long-time loyal customers in order to get the maximum price (or prop up prices in other franchise locales) for the initial PSL sale.  Would they not be better off long-term by focusing on brand loyalty?  I’m biased because I read the Times article on Costco’s business model this morning and the gist is, longtime loyal customers don’t mind being slightly ripped off to the tune of a 17% annual increase in shareholder value going back to inception.  But if they feel gouged they may leave.  The Bills are putting themselves in a situation where they will have enormous pressure to win and stay a priority in a very tough market, every single year, in order to justify their ticket prices.  It’s probably inevitable but I don’t know if it’s healthy and sustainable long-term.

In my recent survey response to the Bills, I basically said that I felt unvalued by the team as someone who has had season tickets since 1987.  I think senior season ticket members should be held in the same esteem as current club seat holders as far as treatment by the team.  A Lifetime of financial and emotional support has to be worth something more than maybe an automated certificate, and extra entries in a super bowl ticket lottery if we ever get that far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Lame response.  This is an excellent offseason discussion topic unlike much of the nonsense threads around here.

So a thread about someone whining about his down enthusiasm is "excellent" discussion now?  That might be the most peak offseason comment I have seen.  

The games can't start fast enough IMO

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a thread about someone whining about his down enthusiasm is "excellent" discussion now?  That might be the most peak offseason comment I have seen.  

The games can't start fast enough IMO

No - I think a thread about how folks are feeling about the upcoming season now that we're almost done with the offseason is a perfect topic - there are posters all along the spectrum of concern/excitement and it's an engaging conversation.  His response did not add to the discourse and is super lame.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

No disinterest here..  but i do think this will be a different kind of season.  I don't sense the same pressure is on them as previous seasons whey they were Super Bowl darlings of the media.  The Bills all know they have to break in some new players...get chemistry, get healthy, etc.. I think they will play solid football and will be underdogs in several games (which i always like).  I do think when they have cap space in Spring 2025 they will sign some better players and absolutely be strong again.  So if they sneak into the playoffs this season that's gravy for me.  I think they will.

17 hours ago, balln said:

You’re not crazy. I really don’t know why more teams try this. Sacrifice 1 year for 3-4 prime. Just make up an injury. Spare me the honor / love of the game crap

I Mean. It’s not even close . Leanings - more like egregious imbalance. They spend a TON of their free agent $ on defense. And the top 1-4 rounds of picks are heavily slanted on D 

Is it really?  How so?  Have any numbers to prove this?  I’d love to see your math on “heavily slanted”

19 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You are manipulating the data set by removing outliers like Brady, Mahomes, Montana, Jimbo, Rothlisberger, and countless other QBs that have been to multiple SBs and only including a select few to prove your point.  For all of the other stats you’re including, that’s regular season where this Bills team under McD has shined (as I clearly stated in my posts).  This team underperforms in the playoffs plain and simple.  

Not really a manipulation of data, I specifically stated that players like Mahomes and Brady were the exception to the rule and I was trying to show what is the more common trend. Yes, I picked those guys specifically to show that just having an elite QB does not guarantee getting to the Super Bowl every other year. It doesn't really matter what players like Brady and Mahomes have done, my point still remains, I showed 5 elite, all-time QBs who averaged 1 Super Bowl appearance every 10 years of their careers. I didn't say every elite QB, I pointed out a handful to prove my point that just having an elite QB does not guarantee a Super Bowl appearance every year---and here are 5 examples. Not trying to hide anything or manipulate anything. I didn't purposely pick guys who didn't make Super Bowls or whatever or weren't considered elite. I picked 5 of the top 10 all-time QBs to show that not every elite QB is going to the Super Bowl every other year (like Brady and Mahomes). And the point remains.

But, if you think that my cherry picking players influences the outcome, well let's take a look at a larger sample size that includes players like Mahomes, Brady, Bradshaw, etc.

Below are the overall stats for a consensus top 22 QBs of all-time (I only left out players who played the majority of their careers pre-Super Bowl era: Unitas, Baugh, Graham, Starr, Dawson).

[Players included in the stat below: Brady, Elway, Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, P. Manning, Kelly, Aikman, Griese, Roethlisberger, Warner, Tarkenton, Mahomes, E. Manning, Favre, Wilson, Brees, Marino, Rodgers, Young, Moon, Fouts]

So, the best 22 QBs of the Super Bowl era have made 65 Super Bowl appearances (with 39 SB wins). Combined, they played 341 seasons total. With a little math, that equates to these QBs appearing in a Super Bowl in 19% of their careers (Super Bowl wins = 11%). So, for 81% of their careers (276 seasons of play), no super Bowl appearances for these elite QBs. [Down from the 90% of the 5 QBs selected in my original post---so not that big of a difference, even including Mahomes, Brady, Bradshaw, Montana, etc.] That averages to one Super Bowl appearance every 5.2 seasons and a Super Bowl win every 9 seasons for the best to ever do it.

I can hear you now say that now I'm adding too many QBs to dilute the water. So, ok, let's look at just a top 10 list. (Again not including the pre-SB era guys). For a top 10, I'll go with Brady, Mahomes, Manning, Brees, Montana, Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Young, and Favre. Combined, they played 171 seasons of football with 34 Super Bowl appearances. So, that equates to 19.88% of their combined careers did they make a Super Bowl appearance. Or again, 80% of their careers that they did not make a Super Bowl. Again, that is like 1 Super Bowl appearance every 5 years (for the 10 best QBs of All-Time). In an average of a 17-year career, that would be 3 SB appearances in a career for the best of all-time. 

And if you take out the outliers (as I originally stated---let's say, just Brady, Mahomes for now), then it's 20 SB appearances in 141 combined seasons for the other top-10 QBs. Then it is 86% of their careers with no SB appearances. Or 1 Super Bowl appearance every 7 years. And if you also remove Elway (along with Brady and Mahomes), then it is 15 SB appearances in 125 seasons, or 88% of their careers no SB appearance. That equates to 1 SB appearance every 9 years for seven of the top 10 QBs of all-time.

So, the best to ever play the game are only making a Super Bowl appearance every 5-10 years. And if you take out the 2-3 outliers, it is more like every 7-10 years. I think my point stands...just having an elite QB does not guarantee Super Bowl appearances every year or even every other year (unless your name is Brady or Mahomes). Josh has played 6 seasons thus far, but let's face it, he came in a lot more raw than a lot of other QBs too. So, it has really only been like 4 seasons of elite play by Josh. But still, in 6 seasons, he has come close to a SB appearance twice (the AFC Championship game and the 13 seconds year). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No - I think a thread about how folks are feeling about the upcoming season now that we're almost done with the offseason is a perfect topic - there are posters all along the spectrum of concern/excitement and it's an engaging conversation.  His response did not add to the discourse and is super lame.

Im not saying it has no place on the board or isn’t a valid thread, but I don’t know I would call a thread about someone’s feelings “excellent” discussion either. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, folz said:

Not really a manipulation of data, I specifically stated that players like Mahomes and Brady were the exception to the rule and I was trying to show what is the more common trend. Yes, I picked those guys specifically to show that just having an elite QB does not guarantee getting to the Super Bowl every other year. It doesn't really matter what players like Brady and Mahomes have done, my point still remains, I showed 5 elite, all-time QBs who averaged 1 Super Bowl appearance every 10 years of their careers. I didn't say every elite QB, I pointed out a handful to prove my point that just having an elite QB does not guarantee a Super Bowl appearance every year---and here are 5 examples. Not trying to hide anything or manipulate anything. I didn't purposely pick guys who didn't make Super Bowls or whatever or weren't considered elite. I picked 5 of the top 10 all-time QBs to show that not every elite QB is going to the Super Bowl every other year (like Brady and Mahomes). And the point remains.

But, if you think that my cherry picking players influences the outcome, well let's take a look at a larger sample size that includes players like Mahomes, Brady, Bradshaw, etc.

Below are the overall stats for a consensus top 22 QBs of all-time (I only left out players who played the majority of their careers pre-Super Bowl era: Unitas, Baugh, Graham, Starr, Dawson).

[Players included in the stat below: Brady, Elway, Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, P. Manning, Kelly, Aikman, Griese, Roethlisberger, Warner, Tarkenton, Mahomes, E. Manning, Favre, Wilson, Brees, Marino, Rodgers, Young, Moon, Fouts]

So, the best 22 QBs of the Super Bowl era have made 65 Super Bowl appearances (with 39 SB wins). Combined, they played 341 seasons total. With a little math, that equates to these QBs appearing in a Super Bowl in 19% of their careers (Super Bowl wins = 11%). So, for 81% of their careers (276 seasons of play), no super Bowl appearances for these elite QBs. [Down from the 90% of the 5 QBs selected in my original post---so not that big of a difference, even including Mahomes, Brady, Bradshaw, Montana, etc.] That averages to one Super Bowl appearance every 5.2 seasons and a Super Bowl win every 9 seasons for the best to ever do it.

I can hear you now say that now I'm adding too many QBs to dilute the water. So, ok, let's look at just a top 10 list. (Again not including the pre-SB era guys). For a top 10, I'll go with Brady, Mahomes, Manning, Brees, Montana, Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Young, and Favre. Combined, they played 171 seasons of football with 34 Super Bowl appearances. So, that equates to 19.88% of their combined careers did they make a Super Bowl appearance. Or again, 80% of their careers that they did not make a Super Bowl. Again, that is like 1 Super Bowl appearance every 5 years (for the 10 best QBs of All-Time). In an average of a 17-year career, that would be 3 SB appearances in a career for the best of all-time. 

And if you take out the outliers (as I originally stated---let's say, just Brady, Mahomes for now), then it's 20 SB appearances in 141 combined seasons for the other top-10 QBs. Then it is 86% of their careers with no SB appearances. Or 1 Super Bowl appearance every 7 years. And if you also remove Elway (along with Brady and Mahomes), then it is 15 SB appearances in 125 seasons, or 88% of their careers no SB appearance. That equates to 1 SB appearance every 9 years for seven of the top 10 QBs of all-time.

So, the best to ever play the game are only making a Super Bowl appearance every 5-10 years. And if you take out the 2-3 outliers, it is more like every 7-10 years. I think my point stands...just having an elite QB does not guarantee Super Bowl appearances every year or even every other year (unless your name is Brady or Mahomes). Josh has played 6 seasons thus far, but let's face it, he came in a lot more raw than a lot of other QBs too. So, it has really only been like 4 seasons of elite play by Josh. But still, in 6 seasons, he has come close to a SB appearance twice (the AFC Championship game and the 13 seconds year). 

But, but, but…..

stop making so much sense all the time @folz, it’s bringing the sadness brigade down

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, folz said:

You obviously spent a lot of time with this post and I applaud your effort, thank you!! Playing devils advocate, I would contest that you’re not considering many variables.  For example Brady and Manning could only make the SB once per year because they played in the same conference.   Thanks again for your reply and for the time you spent gathering this info! 

• Like (+1) 1

I really got back into the Bills when they steamrolled teams the last half of the 2020 regular season.    I hadn't seen such a dominant team since the SB years and being in the AFC CG was just out of this world.  After the generation of fail from 2001-2016, 2017's backing into the playoffs, the debacle of the 2018 season, and not being confident in 2019 only to blow a wild card round 16 point lead I was tapped out.  

And then after 2020, their attempts to build around Josh slowly deteriorated.  He's not perfect, but I'd rather have an imperfect Josh paired with actual NFL WR's than what they're going with this season.  And I find myself mixed between anger at McBeane for following their stupid roster formula and indifference because it's clear they are less talented now than they were in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Is it really?  How so?  Have any numbers to prove this?  I’d love to see your math on “heavily slanted”

I did the draft value chart on Bills picks O vs D last season

'heavily slanted toward defense' is a fair characterization of our team specifically...unsure how it stacks up against the league as a whole