(Trigger Warning) Haven’t been this disinterested in an upcoming Bills season in a long time

JaCrispy

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

We were an ascending team, and I was so high, knowing the sky was the limit…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I remember, for years, I couldn’t get enough camp info from wgr, or podcasts, over the summer…Every half hour update on the radio about trades or signings, or how Josh did at the latest practice…

Well, it looks like we may have reached our ceiling…And it sucks knowing that we clearly aren’t as good as we were when we were Super Bowl contenders…

I know the transition to a younger, cheaper team had to be done…And, with that said, I originally predicted a record of 9-8, and missing the playoffs- especially with that schedule…woof!

However, if injuries continue to mount, I could easily see us getting a top 15 pick in the draft next year- which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing…

Imo, this team desperately needs an infusion of top end talent, to get back to where we were 2 years ago…Really hoping we keep both our 2nd rounders instead of trading up with them….👍

But there is hope…If all goes well, and the moves the FO has made the last few years pan out, I could see us being legit Super Bowl contenders again in a year or two…

Three offseasons ago KC fans had this same thought process, they then won the next two SB's and are going for their third.  Perceptions and reality are two different things.  The team is transitioning, they have JA and a great organization, new stars/leaders will emerge.  You can see it how you want but IMO they have not peaked.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

kruithne-tombstone.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I am sure once the season starts, you will become very interested again.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think that’s because it’s been a slow off-season, more than anything. Give it two weeks, and you will be on fire for this team!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My interest is down as well.  For me, I found the last two seasons emotionally draining due mainly to the serious injuries to their best players.  Not to mention, the Damar Hamlin incident.  Plus, the Bills lose some games in excruciating fashion.  The Fish game in the heat, the Vikings game, and the F'n wind game to name a few.  No, I didn't forget 13 seconds.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This season is going to be a real test of the McBeane culture and how good Josh really is.  I really think Josh knows this too and has come into the season in the best physical and mental shape of his life, ready to take his game to another level.

While I agree we are now down a starter at WR that Josh bonded with in Samuel.  That is going to hurt.

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This season is going to be a real test of the McBeane culture and how good Josh really is.  I really think Josh knows this too and has come into the season in the best physical and mental shape of his life, ready to take his game to another level.

I am not sure how you use the word culture.  But every season is a coaches ability overall.   And the coaches are evaluated mostly against expectations.  For example, no one is going to call for Jim Harboughs head if the Chargers don't win the Super Bowl.   In my opinion Beane and McDermott are highly skilled in setting expectations with the broader fan base that are fairly easy to achieve.  This season if the Bills make the playoffs and lose early, the season will be viewed as a big success by most fans. 

It seems crazy to me.  But Jets fans/Jets media who follow a team with a 40 year old QB and a head coach who has never won a playoff game are looking forward to a Super Bowl run. Dolphins Fans/media who follow a team with a fragile QB who has never won a playoff game and a head coach without demonstrated success similarly are looking foward to  Super Bowl run.  Meanwhile Bills Fans/Media who follow a team with one of the two best QBs in the NFL and a Head Coach entering his 8th season seem to have been condtioned that success means anything better than a 9-8 record.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I was still very interested, but watching the receiving group disintegrate and Milano go down already has certainly put a damper on the party. Of course the hope is with the picks we have and a better cap situation the ship rights  itself next season. I have my doubts we have the head coach who can pull it all together. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You’re not wrong. After the excitement of being legit SB contenders for 4 straight seasons as well as the preceding ascension, a retooling year is a bit of a letdown. That isn’t to say that teams haven’t surprised and won it all with teams like this. It’s happened, even if rarely. 

Outside of Allen this team really lacks star power. We’ve got some good talent and some quality players, but the elite playmakers either aren’t here or haven’t fully emerged yet (looking at you Kincaid). There’s also Von Miller. Formerly elite, 35 years old and  hopefully healthy and able to hit some of his pre-injury high notes. Watching the Bills retool and develop with the hope of getting back to where we recently were isn’t as fun as being there, but it’s part of the ride. Besides that, anything can happen on game day or even over the course of the season. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, juno999 said:

My interest is down as well.  For me, I found the last two seasons emotionally draining due mainly to the serious injuries to their best players.  Not to mention, the Damar Hamlin incident.  Plus, the Bills lose some games in excruciating fashion.  The Fish game in the heat, the Vikings game, and the F'n wind game to name a few.  No, I didn't forget 13 seconds.

The difference between us and KC on the injury front is disheartening. I would have loved the roles to be reversed last playoffs and seen how that played out.

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I didn’t read the thread, but I wanted to say that’s fine! There is more than life than football, and not being so emotionally invested in something that really offers nothing to our lives is honestly probably very healthy. 

Angry emoji on your post is a joke. Your point is certainly correct. 

• Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

With McD you’re reliving the same post season collapse nightmare every year.  I think it’s natural to lose some interest until he’s replaced or demonstrates post season competence with the 2nd best QB in the nfl 

Damn McD for injuring half the team and missing that kick! Damn him!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am not sure how you use the word culture.  But every season is a coaches ability overall.   And the coaches are evaluated mostly against expectations.  For example, no one is going to call for Jim Harboughs head if the Chargers don't win the Super Bowl.   In my opinion Beane and McDermott are highly skilled in setting expectations with the broader fan base that are fairly easy to achieve.  This season if the Bills make the playoffs and lose early, the season will be viewed as a big success by most fans. 

It seems crazy to me.  But Jets fans/Jets media who follow a team with a 40 year old QB and a head coach who has never won a playoff game are looking forward to a Super Bowl run. Dolphins Fans/media who follow a team with a fragile QB who has never won a playoff game and a head coach without demonstrated success similarly are looking foward to  Super Bowl run.  Meanwhile Bills Fans/Media who follow a team with one of the two best QBs in the NFL and a Head Coach entering his 8th season seem to have been condtioned that success means anything better than a 9-8 record.  

The McBeane “culture” in my statement is referring to Beane’s ability to find talent and leaders in an offseason where the roster needed a facelift, and then McD and other coaches’ ability to turn that into results on the field for the team.  I’m choosing to stay optimistic, mainly because we have Josh on our team and he seems super focused from what I’ve seen and heard of him in camp.

Once a person realizes the superiority College Football has on the NFL, the NFL is a tough watch and follow.  Around 5 or so years ago I got into college football, and its just a far better overall product.  College football saturday > NFL sunday.

The NFL is just too "rich" for me.  These players know what they are doing.  Collect the paycheck, and get those muscle injuries to prevent from getting a more major injury.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 8
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2