Receivers the Bills could go after?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mahomes win a SB last season with basically nothing at WR? Brady did the same. Great QB's have made the receivers...not the other way around.

The jury is obviously still out, but I personally want to see Josh with a group of lesser talented guys that play hard and do things the right way so that Josh and the system can operate as intended.

Now it could fail spectacularly and I will be regretting what we didn't do, but the fact is that we didn't have cap space and Diggs/Davis wasn't a good fit anymore.

They brought guys in that had experience and at least a modicum of success in Samuel, Holllins, Claypool, and MVS. Should they have drafted another receiver in the draft? Probably. 

Would that have made a significant difference? Consider my highly skeptical on that one.

This year we find out how good Josh can make a group of receivers without proven pedigrees...just like many greats have done before him. If it doesn't work, this organization is set up with draft capital and cap space to remedy it.

I suggest accepting what many expected this season to be at the end of last season...a reset of the cap so we can make a run after this upcoming season. If we exceed expectations, consider it a bonus.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

Great QB's have made the receivers...not the other way around.

Total myth. Name one WR that Mahomes "made." Not Toney, not MVS, not Skyy Moore. Tyreek Hill has had the most production of his career in Miami. QBs elevate overall passing production, they don't elevate passing talent.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mahomes win a SB last season with basically nothing at WR? Brady did the same. Great QB's have made the receivers...not the other way around.

The jury is obviously still out, but I personally want to see Josh with a group of lesser talented guys that play hard and do things the right way so that Josh and the system can operate as intended.

Now it could fail spectacularly and I will be regretting what we didn't do, but the fact is that we didn't have cap space and Diggs/Davis wasn't a good fit anymore.

They brought guys in that had experience and at least a modicum of success in Samuel, Holllins, Claypool, and MVS. Should they have drafted another receiver in the draft? Probably. 

Would that have made a significant difference? Consider my highly skeptical on that one.

This year we find out how good Josh can make a group of receivers without proven pedigrees...just like many greats have done before him. If it doesn't work, this organization is set up with draft capital and cap space to remedy it.

I suggest accepting what many expected this season to be at the end of last season...a reset of the cap so we can make a run after this upcoming season. If we exceed expectations, consider it a bonus.

Literally the only year that Pats fans didn't complain about their receivers corps was when they had Moss in 2007.  Otherwise, that unit was largely ignored - because Brady made everyone good.

Worked out okay for them during the Brady years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

fun to see this thread went from a discussion of possible players who could come in and help with cuts coming in a week to the same people complaining about the same thing for the millionth time.

anyways I believe Darrius slayton is a perfect fit here and I bet the giants would move him for a 4, Buffalo has two and they could send NY the Chicago four they own.  They will still have I believe 7 picks after they get the two comp picks they are predicted to attain.  

The only issue with slayton is he is on the last year of his deal and wants a new one.  He won't command a lot of money and if he fits in well as the season goes they can extend him.  With a guy like slayton to go with coleman, shakir and samuels next year they could be in the market for one big name wr or another drafted wr and have a nice wr corp next year at this time.

The giants have to want to trade him however and I think they didn't in the offseason before the draft because they were not sure how it was going to go and then didn't trade him after taking nabers because robinson is always hurt and they probably wanted to get through camp and make sure they had their starting three.  I imagine next week the Giants might change their mind and look to move him.   If the Giants season goes south early again I imagine slayton is not going to be happy there.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Total myth. Name one WR that Mahomes "made." Not Toney, not MVS, not Skyy Moore. Tyreek Hill has had the most production of his career in Miami. QBs elevate overall passing production, they don't elevate passing talent.

My point was more that great QB's can win and have a successful offense with a group of mediocre receivers. It's more about the QB and the system than the receiving talent. It's why KC let Tyreek walk, and why Brady never had big time receivers that were making top dollar.

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

My point was more that great QB's can win and have a successful offense with a group of mediocre receivers. It's more about the QB and the system than the receiving talent. It's why KC let Tyreek walk, and why Brady never had big time receivers that were making top dollar.

Randy Moss would qualify as a big-time receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

And, ironically, the year they had him they didn't win a SB.

Welker and Edelman were also pretty good, and TE Gronk was really good. Brady had some good weapons to throw to.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And Mahomes accomplished this within the framework of a passing game designed by the best offensive coach in the NFL today and with the best pass catching TE to have ever played the game.

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And Mahomes accomplished this within the framework of a passing game designed by the best offensive coach in the NFL today and with the best pass catching TE to have ever played the game.

Unfortunately we won’t be coming close to having an Andy Reid play caller anytime soon, but the Kelce point is correct and it’s why Kincaid will be the single biggest deciding factor in the success of this year’s offense.

Kincaid has to be in the top 5 TE conversation this season, if that happens the division is the Bills for a 5th straight year.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Malachi Corley

Jermaine Burton

Roman Wilson

Jalen McMillan

Luke McCaffrey

Troy Franklin

Javon Baker

Tez Walker

Just throwing some ideas out there.

I suspect this is sarcasm and means Beane should have taken a 2nd WR. Reality none of these 3-4 round WRs would likely be a solution to this years team. 

Malachi Corley - Currently a 5th WR slot only behind Wilson, William and X Gibson (slot).  

Jermaine Burton - 4th WR behind Chase, Higgins, and Iosivas.

Roman Wilson - hurt, playing behind Pickens, Jefferson and Austin entering camp. 

Jalen McMillan - Likely winning a top 3 starters role. - This one would have helped. 

Luke McCaffrey - Slot only some positive buzz but all the WR after McLaurin haven't earned a locked in spot. 

Troy Franklin - 6th WR, Staff has already indicated this will be a Red Shirt year for him

Javon Baker - Couple flash plays but behind Bourne, Douglas, and K.J Osborn right now.  

Tez Walker - Has played every preseason game unlike all the Baltimore Starters. Reports he's having trouble adjusting and not likely to have a major role year 1.

Good exercise to actually go through the options and see that a 3rd or4th round WR likely wouldn't break the top 3 in Buffalo this year (other than potentially McMillian). 

Plus taking one of those WR means losing Ray Davis and DeWayne Carter both who have already flashed and will be contributors year 1. 

Edited by LLCoolCy

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mahomes win a SB last season with basically nothing at WR?

Rashee Rice was good by October and a stud by late November and finished as a clear NFL WR1.

He put up 86 receiving yards per game in his last 5.   He was 21st in receptions and 28th in yardage(938) among NFL WR. 

KC sat him and the other starters in the finale or he ends up close to or over 1,000 as a rookie.  

Is a 77.5% catch rate, 7 TD and 44 1st downs more than "basically nothing"?

So yes, you stand corrected.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rashee Rice was good by October and a stud by late November and finished as a clear NFL WR1.

He put up 86 receiving yards per game in his last 5.   He was 21st in receptions and 28th in yardage(938) among NFL WR. 

KC sat him and the other starters in the finale or he ends up close to or over 1,000 as a rookie.  

Is a 77.5% catch rate, 7 TD and 44 1st downs more than "basically nothing"?

So yes, you stand corrected.

And he was considered a average prospect when he came to KC

What says Keon couldn't do the same, and who says Mahomes and the KC system isn't a huge reason for his success?

I think you missed the point here, my guy

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

And he was considered a average prospect when he came to KC

What says Keon couldn't do the same, and who says Mahomes and the KC system isn't a huge reason for his success?

I think you missed the point here, my guy

I didn't miss the point.   A lot of fans on here think that KC's WR's have sucked the past two years and that they've won in spite of them.  

They are wrong.  They have had a WR1 level producer in every season since Mahomes has been there.

Add in the GOAT split TE in Travis Kelce and they had 2 of the top pass catchers in the NFL yet again last season.

Could Kincaid or Shakir or Keon give the Bills two of the top 32 pass catchers in the NFL?   Perhaps but it was less likely than when KC brought back the 1338 yard 12 TD Kelce to go along with 3 early picks in the 2022-2023 drafts.

KC hedged their bets by having 3 players who were seen as round 1 or round 2 prospects in those drafts........and one of them panned out.   The Bills need to go 1 for 1.  

And Coleman has nowhere near the experience and production that Rice had coming out of SMU so expecting him to excel as quickly is asking A LOT.   Rice put up more than twice the yardage that Coleman did in their final seasons and twice the catches and yardage for their careers.   

• Like (+1) 1