Receivers the Bills could go after?

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

All Pros?

Nah.

I just wanted them to draft more than one WR in a WR-heavy draft. 

Guys like Ja’Lynn Polk, Javon Baker, Jalen McMillan, Jordan Whittington, and Jacob Cowing are making plays for other teams right now. All drafted round two and later.

“Replenishing the entire roster” seems to consistently and repeatedly take precedence over surrounding Josh Allen with playmakers, year after year after year.

You’ll have to forgive me for thinking a 3rd or 4th round WR would’ve been a better investment than a 3rd or 4th round DT or RB. Our current potential week 1 WR depth chart would certainly seem to lend credence to my crazy notion. 

It's pretty simple. The Bills let their top 2 WRs walk this offseason (I 100% agreed with those decisions by the way), but they had an opportunity to refresh the room with a historically top heavy and deep WR draft. They instead drafted a single WR, and spent the rest of their middle round picks on a safety, a backup DT, and a backup RB. There was no amount of spin that justified it at the time and it looks even worse now. I'm prepared for people to blame injuries when the passing offense takes a big step back, but this regime intentionally decided to leave themselves dreadfully thin at the position.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's pretty simple. The Bills let their top 2 WRs walk this offseason (I 100% agreed with those decisions by the way), but they had an opportunity to refresh the room with a historically top heavy and deep WR draft. They instead drafted a single WR, and spent the rest of their middle round picks on a safety, a backup DT, and a backup RB. There was no amount of spin that justified it at the time and it looks even worse now. I'm prepared for people to blame injuries when the passing offense takes a big step back, but this regime intentionally decided to leave themselves dreadfully thin at the position.

According to some on this board, even if we had drafted 2-3 wrs, they would likely have gotten injured too. So no matter what we did, we'd be screwed.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can I keep my victory lap going?

2 minutes ago, Success said:

3 weeks before the season even starts?

Sure.

It’s all going as I predicted. An injury away from starting Mack Hollins (lol) as a WR in Josh Allen’s prime.

to be fair, I said starting in the playoffs so it looks like I was a little overly optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, you've been one of the loudest cheerleaders -- if not the loudest -- of the current WR corps all offseason. You wrote hundreds of words across multiple threads telling me that my concerns about the lack of depth at WR and the Bills' refusal to draft more than one WR were unfounded, and that they'd be just fine. And now here we are, staring down the barrel of Mack Hollins as WR2 and Tyrell Shavers as WR4.

The reality is this: Two of the WRs that got hurt weren't any good anyway. Claypool is dangerously close to being an NFL washout at age 26. MVS's career high in single season receiving yardage is 690. So yeah, those guys are hurt, but even if they WEREN'T, they're still not very good players, and the Bills' depth chart at WR is/was still thin.

I (and others) said back as far as the draft that the WR corps was shallow and was placing an AWFUL LOT in the "if everyone stays healthy, we'll have Samuel, Coleman, and Shakir, and that seems pretty good" basket. Well, guess what? Everyone DIDN'T stay healthy, the lack of depth at the position is showing, and it's looking fairly likely that the Bills will start the season with Mack Hollins and Tyrell Shavers playing major minutes at WR. But again, even if Samuel was the only player lost to injury, you'd still be looking at two JAGs in Claypool and MVS getting major playing time. 

Spin it however you want. The Bills' potential week 1 depth chart at WR looks bleak. We've got a shiny new 3rd round rotational DT and a shiny new 4th round running back, while guys like Javon Baker and Jalen McMillan and Jordan Whittington make noise for other teams. WR got short shrift AGAIN. It looks like Josh Allen is gonna have to play Superman AGAIN. It just gets so damned old, and I get damned tired of being gaslit into thinking that I'm crazy for wanting more for support for our franchise QB.

That’s such a gross exaggeration of what I have said.  And I was not at all against taking a second WR in the draft.  I literally said before the draft I just don’t want to go first and second back to back, but taking a second one in the third round or later I was on board with. 

But I also said I don’t think Beane will, which I was right about, and for all the reasons I stated because of all the things I listened to Beane say leading up to the draft.

As far as this group, I’m definitely not the loudest cheerleader, not by a mile.  I have not made any declarations of certain success. I have never said this group for sure is the answer.  Dont confuse having an optimistic view with certainty.  I’ve said many times it may not work, we don’t know.  But the difference between me and the sky is falling folks is that I’m not being psychotic about one season.  Changes happen, it’s inevitable and I like the fact we got younger, tougher, and cleaned up our cap while stock piling more premium picks next year.  

Yes, I’m high on Kincaid and Shakir, and I’m not the only one and that view is justified.  And I like what Keon brings to the table.  Do NOT over exaggerate my optimistic views on our youth as if I am delusional and think everything is a lock to be great.   

No disrespect, but you’re melting down over 2 end of bench players getting hurt, one who sucks in MVS and another that was not likely to even make the roster in Claypool.  Samuel is just week to week.  These injuries may not even impact us.

Me on the other hand…I’ve said a hundred times now, including today and over the weekend…This team is set up great going into next year with cap space, young talent, and extra premium draft picks.  We will be in prime position to go get a top tier receiver if we still need one in FA, via trade, or draft.  We can go get a premier edge rusher…what ever our issue is, we have the resources to be aggressive.  

And quite frankly, I’ve been saying for years we are too SOFT…with our so called home field we were getting out muscled on both sides of the ball in the playoffs, especially the last 2 years.  

So yeah, I like we got rid of soft, inefficient and aging players and Diggs negative energy.  I like we added size for Allen with Kincaid and Keon, and I am high on Shakir.  None of that has anything to do with the garbage at the end of the bench.  I hated the MVS signing and been saying he sucks all camp.  Claypool I even said I had skepticism he could get his head on straight here and was a high reward low risk signing as he is any easy cut if he isn’t getting it.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Prior to the report of Morris being injured, I pondered the thought of trading Knox, and his contract, to a team in need for a WR.  I don’t see candidates though.  Devante Adams would be a great get, but that lame Raiders team just added TEs in back-to-back drafts.

if the Giants had a good WR to trade for, Dabol likely would like Knox.

The Davidson hype made me think he could be the 3rd TE before Morris got hurt.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

When you have a year where you are basically going through a cap re-set like they are this year, things like this can happen.  You hope they don't happen, but if they do happen, its not gross mismanagement that you don't have a backup plan. Its what you do when you decide, IN ADVANCE to take your lumps with the cap this year so you can have freedom with the cap going forward in future years.

Do I like the WR situation right now? No, its not ideal, but going into the season I knew there was a strong possibility something like this would happen with one, or more than one, position groups and I made my peace with it already...for THIS year.

This is exactly right.  Beane had little choice but to make the best of this year and set it up to be only this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/19/2024 at 4:39 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Brandon Aiyuk and CeeDee Lamb are not satisfied with contract offers, so there is still a chance. Rework Josh’s contract again to get some more cap space?

is there a chance at the:

Lions Jameson Williams?
Rams Tutu Atwell?

Chargers Quentin Johnston?

Raiders DaVonte Adam’s?

others?

The ship has passed on any big move like Aiyuk, Adams, or Lamb.

When we started the Offseason, analysts listed all the different moves we could do to come up with the most cap space possible. We released, re-structured, or extended everyone we had that was an option to do to get where we could already. Save for two moves: a re-structure of Ed Oliver and Matt Milano.

Milano was obviously not done because they wanted to see how he bounced back from injury. Considering what happened to him, they're *definitely* not going to do that now.

As for a second Josh re-structure, I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't know why he didn't do the full amount. But if he wanted to take more than he did there, he'd have done it then when we were trying to find money anywhere we could. And he's *never* re-structured a contract twice in the same offseason.

We could still restructure Ed Oliver and save 3.9m. Added to what we have, that would bring us to 11.4m. But we have to subtract around 6 from that for the cost of the Practice Squad and the In Season Spending Pool. So even with an Oliver re-structure, we'd only have about 5.5m to spend.

The problem with a Trade is that you have to take on the contract from the trading team for the trade to be approved. Meaning if you can't take on the cap hit of their current contract, the trade won't go through with the league. Most people miss this fact and just say "we can renegotiate or extend them and make Year 1 peanuts". That's only something you can do after you've taken on their current deal, without going over the cap.

And when it comes to Aiyuk, Adams, and Lamb - we simply don't have the space and can't come up with it to get a trade approved.

On 8/19/2024 at 4:46 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Today:

Hunter Renfrow

Michael Thomas 

JuJu Smith Schuster

Likely Available Next Week:

Denzel Mims

Phillip Dorsett

Allen Robinson

Isaiah Hodgins

Dante Pettis

Martavis Bryant 

Tre'Quan Smith

Chris Conley

Pickings are slim. 

Exactly this. If we're to add anyone right now, it would be someone from this list. And I'd add Isaiah McKenzie as a possible cut that they may bring in to the Practice Squad in a pinch.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There are two ways to replenish:  draft and FA.  Their first pick was a WR, and they signed several FAs.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

There are two ways to replenish:  draft and FA.  Their first pick was a WR, and they signed several FAs.

They traded down twice before their first pick and their "several" free agents are not looking too hot. If people don't think it is legitimate to ask questions about where we are at the moment in the wide receiver room I honestly don't know what to tell them! Sure, they were in a difficult spot cap wise. Sure, drafting near the end of the round is tough. But the decisions over the last three years that get us to a spot where we are going into an NFL season with the 2nd best Quarterback in football throwing to Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins as our lead dogs outside..... they deserve questioning and criticising. 

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They traded down twice before their first pick and their "several" free agents are not looking too hot. If people don't think it is legitimate to ask questions about where we are at the moment in the wide receiver room I honestly don't know what to tell them! Sure, they were in a difficult spot cap wise. Sure, drafting near the end of the round is tough. But the decisions over the last three years that get us to a spot where we are going into an NFL season with the 2nd best Quarterback in football throwing to Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins as our lead dogs outside..... they deserve questioning and criticising. 

Don’t forget we had a top of the line receiver but he’s gone because he hurt everyone’s feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings.  Welcome to 2024.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They have a challenge now due to injuries to Samuel and MVS.  That has nothing to do  with trading down; they picked a WR with their first pick regardless.  And I misspoke; there are 3 ways to stock a WR room; draft, FA, and trades.  They traded for Diggs. 

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Vomit 1

Josh Allen has thrown a grand total of THREE passes this preseason. And that’s all he’s going throw since it appears like he’s not playing on Saturday either. I have no idea how people are evaluating the WRs based on THREE passes from the ONLY guy who’s going to be throwing them the ball in a few weeks. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Logic said:

The fact that we are two weeks prior to the season kicking off and there's a "receivers the Bills could go after" thread is so infuriating, and so predictable.

The loudness and ferocity with which I was called a negative Nellie and told not to doubt Brandon Beane back in May. And here we sit.

Failing some miracle trade, we're very likely looking at Mack Hollins being counted on as a starting outside receiver in week 1 of the season. If you think that constitutes anything but criminal roster mismanagement by Brandon Beane, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Maybe you should wait till a real game is played and you see that the passing offense is a problem before you try to make an "I told you so" post?

58 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have a challenge now due to injuries to Samuel and MVS.  That has nothing to do  with trading down; they picked a WR with their first pick regardless.  And I misspoke; there are 3 ways to stock a WR room; draft, FA, and trades.  They traded for Diggs. 

They have a challenges because three years worth of decision making has undervalued wide receiver and left them with Mack Hollins as a likely day 1 starter. Even if Samuel and MVS are healthy, right now if I was predicting the Bills starters week one in 11 personnel its Hollins, Samuel and Shakir.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It was a horrible neglect by the FO. After this past draft, I have definitely started to sour on Beane. It’s infuriating that they could not find another WR in this draft to reload our WR corp with some fresh new talent. Oh, and big surprise that Samuel is already dinged up….

• Agree 1