Receivers the Bills could go after?

Xavier Worthy was a buzzy name stock riser due to the combine.

Keon Coleman’s stock dropped due to the combine.  

Rashee Rice came on last year and established himself as a reliable #2 to an elite established TE in Kelce. 

Khalil Shakir came on late last season and became our best WR, but nobody will view him like Rice until he does it without Diggs. 

Hollywood Brown has shown WR1 ability and then bounced around, has dealt with injuries. 

Curtis Samuel has shown one really good season a few years. 

Theres a reason why people view KC’s WR trio as better than ours.  Doesn’t mean it has to be that way, but going into the season, it makes sense to be the consensus view.  It’s also a view influenced by the existence of Kelce, while we have Kincaid.. who might be great, we’ll see.  

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Joe Burrow has Chase and Higgins. Mahomes has Brown, Worthy, and Rice. Josh Allen, as of this moment, may be starting week one with Hollins, Coleman, and Shakir. Nauseating. 

When you put it that way… YIKES.

2 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

If you include Samuel, is Coleman, Samuel and Shakir any worse than Brown, Worthy and Rice?  Coleman and Worthy are both rookies.  Rice was decent but may be suspended and is probably equal to Shakir.  Brown is maybe a bit better than Samuel when they are healthy, but I would say its close.  Like, I don't know, that WR group isn't any better than ours in my eyes.  Its the KC offensive scheme that makes them look better.

On sheer talent, I'd take Brown/Worthy/Rice in a heartbeat, but to each their own.

38 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Like someone great we were able to get back in May couldn’t have also gotten turf toe or some other injury. Your 20/20 hindsight is impressive.

Right, because Samuel getting turf toe is the ONLY issue with this group. Nevermind the lack of depth, nevermind the fact that the Bills are planning to trot out Mack freakin Hollins as Josh Allen's WR2 in the year 2024. Sure, it's ONLY injuries that are the problem.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

His first game as a Bill, Josh was throwing to the likes of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and Jeremy Kerley.  Hopefully, things haven't become that bad.  

But, I agree, Beane should have done a better job and we're not opening the season with a stellar lineup.  I had hoped between Coleman, MVS, and Claypool, one had stepped up and earned the third starting wideout position.

In any case, I now have some concerns about Brady.  I see three possibilities:

1.  Joe does a stellar job and produces a lot of points despite the weaknesses in the receiving corps.

2.  Joe does a midling job, doesn't produce a ton of points, but McD excuses and retains him due to the roster shortcomings.

3.  Joe does a terrible job, leads an inept offense, and gets fired.

#1 is seeming less and less likely with every injury but it's the only option I like.  

Re: #3: Brady retires for a season to find himself...but absolutely doesn't get fired.  He's just not with the team anymore.   

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean 3 WRs got hurt.  Anytime a team has 3 WR injuries they are short on WRs.  And the fact someone starts a WR thread doesn’t mean the sky is falling either.  

Respectfully, you've been one of the loudest cheerleaders -- if not the loudest -- of the current WR corps all offseason. You wrote hundreds of words across multiple threads telling me that my concerns about the lack of depth at WR and the Bills' refusal to draft more than one WR were unfounded, and that they'd be just fine. And now here we are, staring down the barrel of Mack Hollins as WR2 and Tyrell Shavers as WR4.

The reality is this: Two of the WRs that got hurt weren't any good anyway. Claypool is dangerously close to being an NFL washout at age 26. MVS's career high in single season receiving yardage is 690. So yeah, those guys are hurt, but even if they WEREN'T, they're still not very good players, and the Bills' depth chart at WR is/was still thin.

I (and others) said back as far as the draft that the WR corps was shallow and was placing an AWFUL LOT in the "if everyone stays healthy, we'll have Samuel, Coleman, and Shakir, and that seems pretty good" basket. Well, guess what? Everyone DIDN'T stay healthy, the lack of depth at the position is showing, and it's looking fairly likely that the Bills will start the season with Mack Hollins and Tyrell Shavers playing major minutes at WR. But again, even if Samuel was the only player lost to injury, you'd still be looking at two JAGs in Claypool and MVS getting major playing time. 

Spin it however you want. The Bills' potential week 1 depth chart at WR looks bleak. We've got a shiny new 3rd round rotational DT and a shiny new 4th round running back, while guys like Javon Baker and Jalen McMillan and Jordan Whittington make noise for other teams. WR got short shrift AGAIN. It looks like Josh Allen is gonna have to play Superman AGAIN. It just gets so damned old, and I get damned tired of being gaslit into thinking that I'm crazy for wanting more for support for our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

On sheer talent, I'd take Brown/Worthy/Rice in a heartbeat, but to each their own.

Right, because Samuel getting turf toe is the ONLY issue with this group. Nevermind the lack of depth, nevermind the fact that the Bills are planning to trot out Mack freakin Hollins as Josh Allen's WR2 in the year 2024. Sure, it's ONLY injuries that are the problem.

In what world would Hollins be #2?  Shakir & Coleman are 1 & 2 right now, imo.  And there is a good chance Samuel is back if he's week to week - it likely means it's low grade, and we have almost 3 weeks to go here.

On your 1st point, I'd agree KC's top 3 are better - but I'd be hard pressed to call it a slam dunk.  We have absolutely no idea on the Coleman/Worthy comparison yet (and lord, do I hope that's clear in favor of Coleman when all is said & done).  Are Brown & Rice better than Shakir & Samuel?  Maybe a little.  It's not night & day between the 2 groups.

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Xavier Worthy was a buzzy name stock riser due to the combine.

Keon Coleman’s stock dropped due to the combine.  

Rashee Rice came on last year and established himself as a reliable #2 to an elite established TE in Kelce. 

Khalil Shakir came on late last season and became our best WR, but nobody will view him like Rice until he does it without Diggs. 

Hollywood Brown has shown WR1 ability and then bounced around, has dealt with injuries. 

Curtis Samuel has shown one really good season a few years. 

Theres a reason why people view KC’s WR trio as better than ours.  Doesn’t mean it has to be that way, but going into the season, it makes sense to be the consensus view.  It’s also a view influenced by the existence of Kelce, while we have Kincaid.. who might be great, we’ll see.  

Coleman had a great combine, this is incorrect.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, you've been one of the loudest cheerleaders -- if not the loudest -- of the current WR corps all offseason. You wrote hundreds of words across multiple threads telling me that my concerns about the lack of depth at WR and the Bills' refusal to draft more than one WR were unfounded, and that they'd be just fine. And now here we are, staring down the barrel of Mack Hollins as WR2 and Tyrell Shavers as WR4.

The reality is this: Two of the WRs that got hurt weren't any good anyway. Claypool is dangerously close to being an NFL washout at age 26. MVS's career high in single season receiving yardage is 690. So yeah, those guys are hurt, but even if they WEREN'T, they're still not very good players, and the Bills' depth chart at WR is/was still thin.

I (and others) said back as far as the draft that the WR corps was shallow and was placing an AWFUL LOT in the "if everyone stays healthy, we'll have Samuel, Coleman, and Shakir, and that seems pretty good" basket. Well, guess what? Everyone DIDN'T stay healthy, the lack of depth at the position is showing, and it's looking fairly likely that the Bills will start the season with Mack Hollins and Tyrell Shavers playing major minutes at WR. But again, even if Samuel was the only player lost to injury, you'd still be looking at two JAGs in Claypool and MVS getting major playing time. 

Spin it however you want. The Bills' potential week 1 depth chart at WR looks bleak. We've got a shiny new 3rd round rotational DT and a shiny new 4th round running back, while guys like Javon Baker and Jalen McMillan and Jordan Whittington make noise for other teams. WR got short shrift AGAIN. It looks like Josh Allen is gonna have to play Superman AGAIN. It just gets so damned old, and I get damned tired of being gaslit into thinking that I'm crazy for wanting more for support for our franchise QB.

Blah blah blah. You act like there’s cheap all pros growing on trees. There’s an entire roster to be replenished. Sh!t happens. 

2 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Blah blah blah. You act like there’s cheap all pros growing on trees. There’s an entire roster to be replenished. Sh!t happens. 

All Pros?

Nah.

I just wanted them to draft more than one WR in a WR-heavy draft. 

Guys like Ja’Lynn Polk, Javon Baker, Jalen McMillan, Jordan Whittington, and Jacob Cowing are making plays for other teams right now. All drafted round two and later.

“Replenishing the entire roster” seems to consistently and repeatedly take precedence over surrounding Josh Allen with playmakers, year after year after year.

You’ll have to forgive me for thinking a 3rd or 4th round WR would’ve been a better investment than a 3rd or 4th round DT or RB. Our current potential week 1 WR depth chart would certainly seem to lend credence to my crazy notion. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

All Pros?

Nah.

Guys like Ja’Lynn Polk, Javon Baker, Jalen McMillan, Jordan Whittington, and Jacob Cowing are making plays for other teams right now. All drafted round two and later.

“Replenishing the entire roster” seems to consistently and repeatedly take precedence over surrounding Josh Allen with playmakers, year after year after year.

You’ll have to forgive me for thinking a 3rd or 4th round WR would’ve been a better investment than a 3rd or 4th round DT or RB. Our current potential week 1 WR depth chart would certainly seem to lend credence to my crazy notion. 

Time will tell, I guess. We all witnessed Tom Brady carve up the NFL with (except for Randy Moss) a stable of less than unbelievable WRs. And if you tell me you knew Julian Edelman and Wes Welker were going to be awesome receivers at the start of their careers, I’ll call you a liar. They were a product of a very efficient offensive system.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

All Pros?

Nah.

Come on, those guys are making plays against dudes who will be on the PS or a couch in a few weeks. Trust the process. Shavers sees action, Coleman sees action, MVS will be healthy be game one. We have Josh Allen, he makes his receivers all pros. Somebody going to get cut and if Buffalo truly needs more talent in the receiver room, they can go get it. Or McBean will make a deal. He has picks…..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

All Pros?

Nah.

Very well said and 100% agree. Maybe next draft is finally the year we do right by Josh

6 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

If only we had had a bunch of picks in a WR heavy draft..

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Malachi Corley

Jermaine Burton

Roman Wilson

Jalen McMillan

Luke McCaffrey

Troy Franklin

Javon Baker

Tez Walker

Just throwing some ideas out there.

These posts are just delightful.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Malachi Corley

Jermaine Burton

Roman Wilson

Jalen McMillan

Luke McCaffrey

Troy Franklin

Javon Baker

Tez Walker

Just throwing some ideas out there.

hey, I’ve heard of a couple of those guys!

Ahem: Redux

On 4/9/2024 at 7:42 AM, FireChans said:

Talk about easy to please. 

He’s learned from his mistakes because he signed…. one WR after losing 2 starters to FA’s and trades?

When Samuel is our starting boundary WR Week 1 and can’t get off the press, he will have learned from his mistakes?

When someone gets banged up and Mack Hollins is running routes in the playoffs, he will have learned from his mistakes?

I failed my social studies test because I didn’t study at all, but I opened the textbook once after that. I’m learning from my mistakes!