Receivers the Bills could go after?

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It is known there was strain with Diggs.  It's who he is.  Beane converted $6.7M signing bonus in March of 2023.

If he (and anyone else in the organization) KNEW he was gone at the end of the year that wouldn't have happened Imo.

That would have set up way too much dead cap being planned.

IMO Beane and Josh believed Diggs would be a mature man and play one more year.  Diggs is nothing but emotion.  

He did/said something in March that ended it with Josh and Beane.

That's how I see it.

If the Bills thought that they were foolish. This didn't blow up in March. When you have have 14 or 15 months of tension between your QB and star WR it is foolish not to be planning for the possibility that you fail to keep things together.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's not just you.  It strains my belief.  I think 2 things happened: 

1) Diggs made it clear he was not gonna be doing any "fence mending" work in the off-season and would make a huge fuss if he didn't get his targets in season

2) the Diggs camp did some calling and came up with a 2nd round pick (next year, but still) as comp to trade him somewhere he wanted to go

Your #2 point is interesting.  Being that the trade wasn't done until April, it tells me Beane wasn't planning all off season on getting rid of Diggs.

It is interesting that Diggs got a redone contract to become a UFA next March.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills thought that they were foolish. This didn't blow up in March. When you have have 14 or 15 months of tension between your QB and star WR it is foolish not to be planning for the possibility that you fail to keep things together.

Probably never know for sure.  I'm sticking with Beane and Josh thinking with one side of their brain and Diggs with the other.

I think we all know which sides those were.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Your #2 point is interesting.  Being that the trade wasn't done until April, it tells me Beane wasn't planning all off season on getting rid of Diggs.

He has a very high impression of himself given his age, recent film and the other options in Houston. 

I honestly think getting a 2nd was a steal for us. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

He has a very high impression of himself given his age, recent film and the other options in Houston. 

I honestly think getting a 2nd was a steal for us. 

Me too. That has the potential to be a top 40 pick, for a 30 year old guy who didn’t want to be here

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with the theory that when the Bills restructured Diggs in March 2023, they expected Diggs to play through 2024.  At that point, there had been a couple months (not 14 or 15) of tension during an otherwise difficult 2nd half of the season featuring a game that had to be moved due to snow, a player who died on the field and was returned to life; a killer blizzard; Josh Allen UCL injury hindering him; Allen's long-term relationship with his GF reportedly on the rocks.

I think in March 2023 Beane felt that Allen and Diggs would mend their fences and another 2 seasons of Diggs would be right on track.

Just now, Beck Water said:

I agree with the theory that when the Bills restructured Diggs in March 2023, they expected Diggs to play through 2024.  At that point, there had been a couple months (not 14 or 15) of tension during an otherwise difficult 2nd half of the season featuring a game that had to be moved due to snow, a player who died on the field and was returned to life; a killer blizzard; Josh Allen UCL injury hindering him; Allen's long-term relationship with his GF reportedly on the rocks.

I think in March 2023 Beane felt that Allen and Diggs would mend their fences and another 2 seasons of Diggs would be right on track.

I don't necessarily dispute that. But to not even be thinking that there was a possibility and planning accordingly? Yea I think that was foolish. Beane clearly thought they could make it work. His mistake was he went all in on that hope.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can't claim credit for it.  Diggs clearly thought he would be moved before his contract guaranteed in the first days of the New League Year - he tweeted something to that effect.  And again, there were reports that prior to the New League Year Bills were trying to trade him.

One of the pundits (Might have been Florio? Might have been Peter King?) said that the Bills had pretty well given up on getting the value they wanted for Diggs and resolved to make the best of it, and the Houston offer of a next year's 2nd from the Vikes was equivalent to a Zillow "Make Me Move!" offer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Me too. That has the potential to be a top 40 pick, for a 30 year old guy who didn’t want to be here

….and made a point of displaying it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can't claim credit for it.  Diggs clearly thought he would be moved before his contract guaranteed in the first days of the New League Year - he tweeted something to that effect.  And again, there were reports that prior to the New League Year Bills were trying to trade him.

One of the pundits (Might have been Florio? Might have been Peter King?) said that the Bills had pretty well given up on getting the value they wanted for Diggs and resolved to make the best of it, and the Houston offer of a next year's 2nd from the Vikes was equivalent to a Zillow "Make Me Move!" offer.

I remember all the spring stuff.  It was brewing and Diggs was tweeting away, but I didn't think he would press the point of no return.

When you think about it, it leaves Diggs in a bad light going forward.  Not many teams will trust him for the 3rd time.

It was a bad situation all around.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't necessarily dispute that. But to not even be thinking that there was a possibility and planning accordingly? Yea I think that was foolish. Beane clearly thought they could make it work. His mistake was he went all in on that hope.

Usually millions of dollars (that Diggs probably asked for) smooth over any rough feelings 

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Usually millions of dollars (that Diggs probably asked for) smooth over any rough feelings 

But to say "well we have given him a few dollars it will all be fine" when they knew their other outside receiver was likely walking as a FA after the season... it is a failure to prepare. Beane gambled. And he lost.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

You should google circular logic...

We are at THE BEGINNING of 2024, not the end. If you compare the receiving options of the Bills on day 1 2024 to the Chiefs on day 1 2023, the Bills win in a landslide. You don't have to look any further than the fact that MVS was a starter for the Chiefs (10 games) and is 5th on the Bills depth chart.

By the end of the season, SOMEBODY on the Bills will have a career season and close to 1000 yards, maybe even two or three somebodies. It might be Coleman (who is a better prospect than Rice was) or Shakir (who is a better player than Watson) or Mack Hollins (who clearly beat out MVS in camp). That is to say nothing of the Bills best WR, Curtis Samuel, who is light years better than Hardman/Moore/Toney.

And, quite honestly, I don't think the gap between 2023 Kelce and 2024 Kincaid is enough to cover that spread above.

Flat out, the Bills are gonna throw 500+ times this year. Josh Allen is gonna pass for 4000 yards and somebody is gonna catch those balls and accumulate those yards. There will be a Rice on this team...it's bad faith to act like there won't be. Odds are it is Shakir or Samuel (or both?). The Chiefs didn't hit on some hidden gem...they gave a guy with decent skills a bunch of targets from a great QB. There are probably 100 WR in the NFL that could do that, including 2 or 3 on the Bills.

It's clear.at this moment you are absolutely confident in Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, Mack Hollins, MVS, and Keon Coleman as a WR group.  And that an ensemble cast of them with Kincaid and Knox is not only sufficient...but better than people realize.  

Most are not and I'll file this post away for the regular season when it becomes (once again) abundantly clear that they are, collectively, a bottom of the barrel group and Josh Allen can't change that.  And Josh is excellent.  

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You’re saying he’s a WR2.  I’m saying what Brady is saying; that they are looking at the WRs as interchangeable.  

They are if they're all slot-receivers. 

And it's looking like Samuel, Shakir, Coleman (if used correctly) are slot-receivers.  The others - Hollins and MVS - are not.   

I think it’s hilarious that people put so much stock in a depth chart.

The only thing the depth chart is is a tool for McD to send a message or make rookies think they are earning their spot. He’s been doing this from day 1. Coleman will get more targets than Mack, and very quickly Davis and Bishop will be moved up. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What do you think he should have done instead?  All things considered, getting a (presumably) high second round pick next year is a hell of a deal.  Anyone who thinks he won’t be missed this year is delusional, but this wan’t a championship roster with him anyway.  A year from now when the team has some cap space and extra draft capital, I don’t think anyone will regret the trade.  

If anything, Beane probably should have started this rebuild last offseason.  I understand why he tried to push all in for another season, but last year’s roster was simply too long in the tooth coming into the season for me to expect things to go much differently than they did.  If anything, it was impressive that they were able to “circle the wagons” as well as they did down the stretch.  

Diggs forcing himself out of town may have just saved Beane from himself because he looked poised to double down this season, and that was doomed to fail.  Instead, he took his medicine this offseason and I think the franchise will be better for it.  And as we know, there’s no rule that says you can’t pull a rabbit out of your hat and win a championship with a roster in transition.  Worst case scenario, it makes for a more interesting season than running it back with an older version of a team that wasn’t good enough the year before.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

It's clear.at this moment you are absolutely confident in Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, Mack Hollins, MVS, and Keon Coleman as a WR group.  And that an ensemble cast of them with Kincaid and Knox is not only sufficient...but better than people realize.  

Most are not and I'll file this post away for the regular season when it becomes (once again) abundantly clear that they are, collectively, a bottom of the barrel group and Josh Allen can't change that.  And Josh is excellent.  

They are if they're all slot-receivers. 

And it's looking like Samuel, Shakir, Coleman (if used correctly) are slot-receivers.  The others - Hollins and MVS - are not.   

I’m just telling you what Brady has said.  But if you want to choose to ignore it fine.

Edited by oldmanfan

On 8/19/2024 at 4:39 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Brandon Aiyuk and CeeDee Lamb are not satisfied with contract offers, so there is still a chance. Rework Josh’s contract again to get some more cap space?

is there a chance at the:

Lions Jameson Williams?
Rams Tutu Atwell?

Chargers Quentin Johnston?

Raiders DaVonte Adam’s?

others?

There were plenty of chances to improve the WR room.  Beane chose not to and repeatedly said he likes the group they currently have 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m just telling you what Brady has said.  But if you want to choose to ignore it fine.

If you believe WR's are interchangeable...well there's a bridge in Brooklyn for for sale that you might be interested in.  

:lol:

5 hours ago, Billl said:

What do you think he should have done instead?  All things considered, getting a (presumably) high second round pick next year is a hell of a deal.  Anyone who thinks he won’t be missed this year is delusional, but this wan’t a championship roster with him anyway.  A year from now when the team has some cap space and extra draft capital, I don’t think anyone will regret the trade.  

If anything, Beane probably should have started this rebuild last offseason.  I understand why he tried to push all in for another season, but last year’s roster was simply too long in the tooth coming into the season for me to expect things to go much differently than they did.  If anything, it was impressive that they were able to “circle the wagons” as well as they did down the stretch.  

Diggs forcing himself out of town may have just saved Beane from himself because he looked poised to double down this season, and that was doomed to fail.  Instead, he took his medicine this offseason and I think the franchise will be better for it.  And as we know, there’s no rule that says you can’t pull a rabbit out of your hat and win a championship with a roster in transition.  Worst case scenario, it makes for a more interesting season than running it back with an older version of a team that wasn’t good enough the year before.

They should have drafted a receiver last year knowing it was a strong possibility that both of their guys might walk after the 2023 season. 

• Like (+1) 1