Receivers the Bills could go after?

The fact that we are two weeks prior to the season kicking off and there's a "receivers the Bills could go after" thread is so infuriating, and so predictable.

The loudness and ferocity with which I was called a negative Nellie and told not to doubt Brandon Beane back in May. And here we sit.

Failing some miracle trade, we're very likely looking at Mack Hollins being counted on as a starting outside receiver in week 1 of the season. If you think that constitutes anything but criminal roster mismanagement by Brandon Beane, then I don't know what to tell ya.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

The fact that we are two weeks prior to the season kicking off and there's a "receivers the Bills could go after" thread is so infuriating, and so predictable.

The loudness and ferocity with which I was called a negative Nellie and told not to doubt Brandon Beane back in May. And here we sit.

Failing some miracle trade, we're very likely looking at Mack Hollins being counted on as a starting outside receiver in week 1 of the season. If you think that constitutes anything but criminal roster mismanagement by Brandon Beane, then I don't know what to tell ya.

This is because of injury though. They lost claypool and now samuels and mvs are hurt and may miss the start of the season.

its not because of poor performance.  

For all we know they could have moved up for nabers and he could be week to week or kept diggs and he would be week to week causing them to have to look for players still.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This is because of injury though. They lost claypool and now samuels and mvs are hurt and may miss the start of the season.

For all we know they could have moved up for nabers and he could be week to week or kept diggs and he would be week to week causing them to have to look for players still.

Claypool objectively sucks and Samuel is consistently injured every year.

Not the party to hitch one’s wagon to.

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

Imagine being the GM and these are the guys you surround your generational QB with.  What a total joke.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

35 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The issue is that when your depth chart is thin to begin with, you can’t afford to lose anyone.

Even if MVS and Claypool were healthy, I wouldn’t be feeling good about our potential week one WR depth chart if Samuel misses the game. Without Samuel in the lineup, Shakir is about the only WR worth a darn. 

Any way you slice it, injuries or not, Josh Allen may be about to enter his age 29 season with the worst receiving corps he’s had since he was a rookie. That’s downright criminal. 

Joe Burrow has Chase and Higgins. Mahomes has Brown, Worthy, and Rice. Josh Allen, as of this moment, may be starting week one with Hollins, Coleman, and Shakir. Nauseating. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

You know that you have to pick your timing if you don't want the pitchforks. Off-season doubts are not acceptable. After a couple losses in a row, now thats the sweet spot. 

• Haha (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

The issue is that when your depth chart is thin to begin with, you can’t afford to lose anyone.

Even if MVS and Claypool were healthy, I wouldn’t be feeling good about our potential week one WR depth chart if Samuel misses the game. Without Samuel in the lineup, Shakir is about the only WR worth a darn. 

Any way you slice it, injuries or not, Josh Allen may be about to enter his age 29 season with the worst receiving corps he’s had since he was a rookie. That’s downright criminal. 

Joe Burrow has Chase and Higgins. Mahomes has Brown, Worthy, and Rice. Josh Allen, as of this moment, may be starting week one with Hollins, Coleman, and Shakir. Nauseating. 

His first game as a Bill, Josh was throwing to the likes of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and Jeremy Kerley.  Hopefully, things haven't become that bad.  

But, I agree, Beane should have done a better job and we're not opening the season with a stellar lineup.  I had hoped between Coleman, MVS, and Claypool, one had stepped up and earned the third starting wideout position.

In any case, I now have some concerns about Brady.  I see three possibilities:

1.  Joe does a stellar job and produces a lot of points despite the weaknesses in the receiving corps.

2.  Joe does a midling job, doesn't produce a ton of points, but McD excuses and retains him due to the roster shortcomings.

3.  Joe does a terrible job, leads an inept offense, and gets fired.

#1 is seeming less and less likely with every injury but it's the only option I like.  

• Agree 2

When you have a year where you are basically going through a cap re-set like they are this year, things like this can happen.  You hope they don't happen, but if they do happen, its not gross mismanagement that you don't have a backup plan. Its what you do when you decide, IN ADVANCE to take your lumps with the cap this year so you can have freedom with the cap going forward in future years.

Do I like the WR situation right now? No, its not ideal, but going into the season I knew there was a strong possibility something like this would happen with one, or more than one, position groups and I made my peace with it already...for THIS year.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

And yet Josh still has his haters. For all the credit Beane and McDermott get, this is a 4-5 win team at best without Allen. That simply would not be the case with KC or Cincy, who have better talent and coaching across the board. A good example occurred just last year when the Bengals held it together respectfully with Jake Browning at QB and a bunch of other injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

If you include Samuel, is Coleman, Samuel and Shakir any worse than Brown, Worthy and Rice?  Coleman and Worthy are both rookies.  Rice was decent but may be suspended and is probably equal to Shakir.  Brown is maybe a bit better than Samuel when they are healthy, but I would say its close.  Like, I don't know, that WR group isn't any better than ours in my eyes.  Its the KC offensive scheme that makes them look better.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

When you have a year where you are basically going through a cap re-set like they are this year, things like this can happen.  You hope they don't happen, but if they do happen, its not gross mismanagement that you don't have a backup plan. Its what you do when you decide, IN ADVANCE to take your lumps with the cap this year so you can have freedom with the cap going forward in future years.

Do I like the WR situation right now? No, its not ideal, but going into the season I knew there was a strong possibility something like this would happen with one, or more than one, position groups and I made my peace with it already...for THIS year.

It's a positive and fairly realistic outlook. 

But anything could happen between now and next year.

Lets see how it goes though. I respect your Zen