Receivers the Bills could go after?

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I promise you, when the Bills selected Coleman they did not plan on him battling Mack Hollins for early playing time. 

This is one thing I will disagree with. The staff has a much higher opinion of Mack Hollins than they should based on how they talk about him and how he has gotten nothing but 1st team reps since day one. When we signed him I remarked that it was a Trent Sherfield caliber signing but the team apparently brought him in to play a major role in the offense, for reasons that elude me. Having their rookie WR battle an established veteran was always the plan IMO, as it almost always has under this regime. I think it is to Keon's credit that he was able to work his way onto the starting offense from day one of OTAs. That is better than almost every 1st rounder we've drafted in the McBeane era.

It sucks that he is being thrust into a larger role than his raw skillset says he should. I just hope the fanbase can be patient. Don't blame Keon for the failings of the front office if/when he doesn't immediately hit the ground running. He was always going to need time to refine his game. Of all the other WRs drafted this year, only the top 2 are expected to step in as basically their team's #1 outside WR from day one. Everyone else has established talent in front of them and will have time to develop their skills. For some reason this staff is treating Keon like Nabers and MHJ with the laughable competition they have on the roster, and that's not fair to him or to Allen for that matter.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is one thing I will disagree with. The staff has a much higher opinion of Mack Hollins than they should based on how they talk about him and how he has gotten nothing but 1st team reps since day one. When we signed him I remarked that it was a Trent Sherfield caliber signing but the team apparently brought him in to play a major role in the offense, for reasons that elude me. Having their rookie WR battle an established veteran was always the plan IMO, as it almost always has under this regime. I think it is to Keon's credit that he was able to work his way onto the starting offense from day one of OTAs. That is better than almost every 1st rounder we've drafted in the McBeane era.

It sucks that he is being thrust into a larger role than his raw skillset says he should. I just hope the fanbase can be patient. Don't blame Keon for the failings of the front office if/when he doesn't immediately hit the ground running. He was always going to need time to refine his game. Of all the other WRs drafted this year, only the top 2 are expected to step in as basically their team's #1 outside WR from day one. Everyone else has established talent in front of them and will have time to develop their skills. For some reason this staff is treating Keon like Nabers and MHJ with the laughable competition they have on the roster, and that's not fair to him or to Allen for that matter.

This is all correct, but don't put any money on fans being rational about this, or much of anything else, for that matter.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Brian Thomas Jr has a shot too 😥

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

All this makes sense if you keep Diggs. 

Once they traded Diggs what else is the fan base supposed to think? 

There are only two options at that point. Beane has thrown in the towel for 2024 or  Coleman has to produce his rookie year. 

You can't blame the fans for having high expectations when the GM trades away one of the best WRs in franchise history. Trading down and taking Coleman only makes sense if you keep Diggs. If Beane had any thought he was going to trade Diggs he should have done it on draft day and either moved up in the draft or taken two WRs in rounds 1-3. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No doubt that they like Mack Hollins. When you have no WRs though, you don’t expect an average NFL WR, with 5 seasons under his belt, to play ahead of the 33rd pick. That’s just not how it works in 2024. The 33rd pick is expected to play. On a team with one of the weakest WR rooms in the NFL, the 33rd pick isn’t expected to be 4th on the depth chart. They 100% planned on him above Mack at this point.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No doubt that they like Mack Hollins. When you have no WRs though, you don’t expect an average NFL WR, with 5 seasons under his belt, to play ahead of the 33rd pick. That’s just not how it works in 2024. The 33rd pick is expected to play. On a team with one of the weakest WR rooms in the NFL, the 33rd pick isn’t expected to be 4th on the depth chart. They 100% planned on him above Mack at this point.

Since when is Keon behind Hollins?  They haven’t released a week 1 depth chart.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Since when is Keon behind Hollins?  They haven’t released a week 1 depth chart.

I’m not sure if he is. Chris Brown and Tasker were talking about it on One Bills Live earlier this week. They were saying that in practice they’ve been rotating and the Bills may be more comfortable with Hollins in that spot at this point. It wasn’t anything official but the fact that is even on the table is a problem. 

On 8/19/2024 at 3:39 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Brandon Aiyuk and CeeDee Lamb are not satisfied with contract offers, so there is still a chance. Rework Josh’s contract again to get some more cap space?

is there a chance at the:

Lions Jameson Williams?
Rams Tutu Atwell?

Chargers Quentin Johnston?

Raiders DaVonte Adam’s?

others?

If Dallas & SF don't have the money to give either Lamb or Aiyuk the Bills sure as h*ll don't have the cash or draft capital that either team or person is wanting !!

Beane is a magician but given where the cap is there's no way it's all a fantasy at this point .

Next year when the cap goes up & Diggs money is off the cap maybe there's a good chance of bringing in a big name receiver but for now it is what it is nothing more .

But 1 can dream !!

1 hour ago, T master said:

If Dallas & SF don't have the money to give either Lamb or Aiyuk the Bills sure as h*ll don't have the cash or draft capital that either team or person is wanting !!

Beane is a magician but given where the cap is there's no way it's all a fantasy at this point .

Next year when the cap goes up & Diggs money is off the cap maybe there's a good chance of bringing in a big name receiver but for now it is what it is nothing more .

But 1 can dream !!

The Bills certainly have the draft capital. They can do Josh’s contract now if they need the space. Is it likely? Of course not. Is it possible? Yes

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure if he is. Chris Brown and Tasker were talking about it on One Bills Live earlier this week. They were saying that in practice they’ve been rotating and the Bills may be more comfortable with Hollins in that spot at this point. It wasn’t anything official but the fact that is even on the table is a problem. 

I disagree its a problem.  I think the bigger issue is a lot of fans haven't accepted that Hollins is not Shefield...he will play a bigger role in the offense.  He is a very good blocker and that is an important aspect to the offense and really the only positive commodity we lost in Davis leaving.  But more than that, he is a capable WR out there and has been showing that during camp, so its not like he will only come in on obvious run situations only.  Now you factor in he has missed a little bit of time, so of course they are going to keep mixing him in and getting reps with the 1's because he is going to be getting relevant snaps this season, so he needs to develop timing and rapport with Allen and the ones because that is who he will be playing along side when he is out on the field.  

So how does anyone like Chris Brown or Tasker expect Hollins to build chemistry with Allen if he doesn't get enough reps with him?  So IMHO, I think they are reading too much into the fact that Hollins is getting reps with Josh.  Its not at all an indicator of how they feel about Keon.  In fact, all that Beane, McD, Brady, Allen and even other WR's have done is gush about where Keon is right now, how much he already understands for a rookie, how far along he is.  There has been literally zero indications of any kind that they feel Keon isn't ready or where he should be right now.  

Respectfully, I don't think what so ever that the rotation of Hollins into reps with Allen has anything to do with how they feel about Keon.  And unless every coach, player, reporter, and observers are lying about how well Keon has been playing thus far, then I think its pretty safe to say they feel pretty good about where Keon is right now too.

Furthermore, Keon has exclusively, 100% of the time, run with the ones since the start of camp through now, including both preseason games.  They are not treating him like a guy who is behind anyone on the depth chart, and they don't do that unless they are firmly in that slot. 

And of course...none of that means anything in terms of how well he will or won't play come regular season, just talking about what he has done on the field, off the field, in the team meetings, etc thus far.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I disagree its a problem.  

There’s a lot there. I’ll boil it down to the first sentence. How many NFL teams do you think would be okay with Mack Hollins playing ahead of the 33rd pick? The answer is zero. Regardless of whether it is Coleman or Hollins the fact that it is a discussion is a failure. 32 NFL teams would say that’s a problem.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There’s a lot there. I’ll boil it down to the first sentence. How many NFL teams do you think would be okay with Mack Hollins playing ahead of the 33rd pick. The answer is zero. Regardless of whether it is Coleman or Hollins the fact that it is a discussion is a failure. 32 NFL teams would say that’s a problem.

Except he is not playing ahead of Keon.  And you are just ignoring everything else like the literal fact that Keon has started both preseason games and literally taken 100% of all snaps with the ones since day 1 of camp.  Not to mention, Keon has one of the best camps on the team as well, not like he has been struggling.  But hey, that is your right and choice to make what ever leap in logic about Hollins getting some reps with Allen you want.  Just find it odd you just doubled down on it after literally just saying you don't actually know if Hollins is playing ahead of Keon.

So you are basically just creating your own scenario here to which all actual evidence fully contradicts including Keon starting both preseason games, including the 2nd one when they both played, and Keon taking all snaps, reps, walkthroughs, etc as the starter since day 1 camp, something Hollins has not done.   And then complaining about that scenario as if it were true, again despite the fact you just said you don't know it to be true and all existing evidence suggesting its not true.

And I mean no disrespect, but you are being a bit irresponsible going around claiming Hollins is ahead of Keon when you can't support that claim nor does any of the evidence support it either.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except he is not playing ahead of Keon.  And you are just ignoring everything else like the literal fact that Keon has started both preseason games and literally taken 100% of all snaps with the ones since day 1 of camp.  Not to mention, Keon has one of the best camps on the team as well, not like he has been struggling.  But hey, that is your right and choice to make what ever leap in logic about Hollins getting some reps with Allen you want.  Just find it odd you just doubled down on it after literally just saying you don't actually know if Hollins is playing ahead of Keon.

So you are basically just creating your own scenario here to which all actual evidence fully contradicts including Keon starting both preseason games, including the 2nd one when they both played, and Keon taking all snaps, reps, walkthroughs, etc as the starter since day 1 camp, something Hollins has not done.   And then complaining about that scenario as if it were true, again despite the fact you just said you don't know it to be true and all existing evidence suggesting its not true.

And I mean no disrespect, but you are being a bit irresponsible going around claiming Hollins is ahead of Keon when you can't support that claim nor does any of the evidence support it either.  

Is he? I don’t know the answer. Tasker and Brown suggested that it’s a competition. They know better than both of us. We will know in a couple of weeks. The fact that it’s a competition is the problem (regardless of the winner). The 33rd pick should NOT be competing with Mack Hollins. Shakir and Samuel? Sure. Hollins? Absolutely not. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/21/2024 at 4:22 PM, GunnerBill said:

I have made the logical case. You have ignored it. 

I have read you guys debating and honestly I don’t have an opinion either way. What I do think is if you guys want to argue what you are arguing then the best place to look is somewhere in the middle pages. That’s where herd mentality is likely kicked in and echo chambers start. The first 6 pages is a bad example to read imo because those will be mostly people that just don’t like the pick and stating so but not really why. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is he? I don’t know the answer. Tasker and Brown suggested that it’s a competition. They know better than both of us. We will know in a couple of weeks. The fact that it’s a competition is the problem (regardless of the winner). The 33rd pick should NOT be competing with Mack Hollins. Shakir and Samuel? Sure. Hollins? Absolutely not. 

Again, you don’t even know if it is a competition.  Hollins getting reps also with Allen does not make it a competition.  

Keon has been all through camp and preseason a starter.  100% of all reps, not a single snap with anyone other than the ones.  Hollins has not.  If anything, Hollins is vying for reps on the other boundary where Samuel may come off the field instead of Samuel lining up on one of the boundaries.  

And you originally said Hollins was ahead of Keon…now it’s they are in competition.  You’re not even providing a cohesive complaint, let alone providing any evidence that supports either complaint.  

Again, free to your own opinions, but I still think it’s irresponsible to just say things as if they are true when you admittedly don’t know they are and when there is clear evidence that it isn’t accurate.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, you don’t even know if it is a competition.  Hollins getting reps also with Allen does not make it a competition.  

Keon has been all through camp and preseason a starter.  100% of all reps, not a single snap with anyone other than the ones.  Hollins has not.  If anything, Hollins is vying for reps on the other boundary where Samuel may come off the field instead of Samuel lining up on one of the boundaries.  

And you originally said Hollins was ahead of Keon…now it’s they are in competition.  You’re not even providing a cohesive complaint, let alone providing any evidence that supports either complaint.  

Again, free to your own opinions, but I still think it’s irresponsible to just say things as if they are true when you admittedly don’t know they are and when there is clear evidence that it isn’t accurate.  

…and you don’t know it’s not. I’m basing that off of the media team employed by the Bills.

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I have read you guys debating and honestly I don’t have an opinion either way. What I do think is if you guys want to argue what you are arguing then the best place to look is somewhere in the middle pages. That’s where herd mentality is likely kicked in and echo chambers start. The first 6 pages is a bad example to read imo because those will be mostly people that just don’t like the pick and stating so but not really why. 

No need to even revisit it…maybe one of the most unnecessary debates of the season and why I offered many times to just agree to disagree.  But I do agree with your premise and post.  But like I said, the topic itself isn’t even worth revisiting for anyone and think an agree to disagree is more than suitable resolution.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1