Curtis Samuel Turf Toe, Other Injury Updates

Process

3 hours ago, buffblue said:

I still think it is better than Andre Holmes/Jordan Matthews/Deonte Thompson/Kaelin Clay in 2017, but not by a lot. It's inexcusable to me to have a WR room this bereft with Josh Allen in his prime.

Your post, got me to look up the 2017 roster.  That receiving corp was so inadequate, they traded a 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin mid-year.   Deonte Thompson led the WRs with 440 yards, both Charles Clay & Shady McCoy had slightly more.    The OL from Center left; Wood, Incognito, Dawkins was good, but the right side was Vlad Ducase and Jordan Mills.   Tyrod probably deserves more credit for a winning record and getting that team to the playoffs. 

Having said that, if Samuel is out, I think the 2024 receivers could be almost as bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are just miserable man.  

We will be fine come the regular season. 

You think Josh Allen is crying?   Give him 5 practice squad WR’s and a good O line and he will still carve everyone up.  We have Shakir Kincaid Knox Hollins Coleman and some good RB’s.  If the O line is stout we aren’t losing many games (And Samuel could very well be 100% opening day)

Get a grip.  You come off like a whiny baby B word.  And you call yourself a Bills fan?!! 

Again, I’m a realist. 

and just think, if Allen could carve people up with crap at WR, what he might do with actual good receivers. Hell, we might actually have a Lombardi by now. 

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Genuinely believe people here don't understand just how bad this season's going to be....even with a CeeDee Lamb.

And when the Bills make the playoffs, what will you do? Just go radio silent and go back to bashing the team next offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Sure, but prior to 2023 the receiving corps was at least adequate. 

Beane’s WR strategy last offseason to now is questionable to say the least. 

Maybe it was adequate because Diggs was so good.  There were a lot of question marks going into 2023 about WR.  The data proved that Gabe Davis was occasionally effective but overall inconsistent.  Shakir looked decent but didn’t always look like a starter.  Then you had a bunch of other guys.  

He did little to address the position and instead drafted Dalton Kincaid.  He’s been a good pick though I feel WR should have been a higher priority.   

Honest Q:

Can Isabella fill in for Samuel or does he lack the speed? I don’t know much about him except he was a stud in camp last year. 

and he’s tough and doesn’t seem to miss time due to injury…

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

4 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Honest Q:

Can Isabella fill in for Samuel or does he lack the speed? I don’t know much about him except he was a stud in camp last year. 

I think coming out of college they ran identical 40 times. But these days with accumulated injuries, etc.,   not sure.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

As long as he suits up and plays Week 1 is my only concern thus far. I'm going to assume he can. 

Week to week means that is in jeopardy.  

5 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Honest Q:

The one thing Isabella brings is speed.  But no he is not a Samuel replacement.   Samuel is unique and. I one else does exactly what he does.  Guys will fill the gap with different abilities.  

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Turf toe absolutely lingers and absolutely limits players' effectiveness.

Of all that bad injury news, Samuel having turf toe is easily the worst of it. Especially with how integral it sounded like he was going to be to this team's plans offensively. There is really no one on our offense that can replicate his skillset, either.

This is NOT good.

Potential week one WRs:

Coleman 
Hollins
Shakir
Shavers
Hamler

That is truly ugly. Good God.

Umm, shite.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Turf toe absolutely lingers and absolutely limits players' effectiveness.

Of all that bad injury news, Samuel having turf toe is easily the worst of it. Especially with how integral it sounded like he was going to be to this team's plans offensively. There is really no one on our offense that can replicate his skillset, either.

This is NOT good.

Potential week one WRs:

Coleman 
Hollins
Shakir
Shavers
Hamler

That is truly ugly. Good God.

Sounds like one of those injuries you let him sit the max recovery timeliness, and add another week.

No sense in giving him few weeks odd, having him play 70% lingering,and then lose him again.

Make a modest trade (need it anyway), let him recover, and be done with it

We need a R-E-L-A-X from Rodgers or someone.

I'm not loving it - but it's kind of obvious it's not Grade 3 if he's week to week.  And we have a few weeks before the start of the season here.  And the 1st game is home against the Cards - we can survive that one without him.

If it does turn into some kind of lingering thing - they'll simply have to make a move. But that hasn't even been hinted at yet.

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You're deluding yourself.

I’m old enough to remember when it was a certainty that the 2023 Bills were going to lose to Dallas, Kansas City and Miami to finish 8-9

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The Bills need to look at Eric Ciano's approach to strength and conditioning this coming off-season, especially in his injury reduction strategy and program.  If he has one, it's not great.   I don't know why he continues to get a free pass - he's in charge of the conditioning and keeping these players on the field.   

I don't know if players are going too hard in the off-season, or not enough, or doing a wrong program, or not enough stretching, or wrong equipment.  It's not just bad luck.  

They should have done this this past off season as the Bills OL looked gassed by halftime every game last year, and the injuries took hold in every unit.  It got absurd last year when the Bills trotted out both an injured punter *and* kicker.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2