Curtis Samuel Turf Toe, Other Injury Updates

Process

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Not that you have to or anything I mean, who am I, but just gonna point out here that you did not answer my question

I Never said this thread. Just in general on this message board. We have a whole 100+ page dedication to how many people think the same WR room is fine. Er….. WAS 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

The severity of Samuel's turf toe would be a great thing to know, as it drastically affects the outlook for his recovery. We have to assume from the "week to week" language that it's not Grade 3. 

Grade 1: A mild case that may heal on its own in a few days to a week with rest. 

Grade 2: May require a few days to a couple of weeks off, but could take a few weeks to fully heal. 

Grade 3: Can take two to six months to heal, and may require surgery and wearing a cast for six or more weeks. A study of 15 football players with grade 3 injuries found they missed an average of 16.5 weeks of playing time while recovering from surgery. 

At least its not that plantar fasciitis thing Byrd had for years

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Awful news. Samuel getting injured is the worst case scenario on the offense and turf toes can linger. They are going to have to make a trade or do something. We cannot go into the season with potentially Mack Hollins as our 2nd best WR.

@Avisan already ran the numbers on what to expect from a 525 target season for Mack Hollins.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
Wrongly credited @Amprov
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is the exact reason why I was pounding the table for us drafting 2-3 wrs this last draft.  McB deserves everything they get.

Ah yeah, right. I forgot that rookies can’t get injured per new NFL bylaws. 

I think most people would take Coleman + MVS and Samuels over Coleman + two day 2-3 draft picks. 

• Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You're deluding yourself.

McDermott for his faults is actually pretty good at performing well with less talent (remember the Tyrod playoff Bills team?), and Allen is at the peak of his powers. Predicting 4-2 with some absolutely mid teams on the schedule is not delusional.

40 minutes ago, gflande1 said:

Do we have another curse? We had the Flutie curse, broke that making the playoffs.

Do we now have a McKenzie curse?

I think the little guys left us with bad juju

Its always been the Burial Ground.

and no going back

Doomed. Learn it . love it , live it. Its what we do

😇

3 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Ah yeah, right. I forgot that rookies can’t get injured per new NFL bylaws. 

I think most people would take Coleman + MVS and Samuels over Coleman + two day 2-3 draft picks. 

Maybe Samuels

But I was over the top about drafting two . and Coleman was more like the second one. Or just a speed merchant

Bills hade some ammo to move

mvs lol

3 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

McDermott for his faults is actually pretty good at performing well with less talent (remember the Tyrod playoff Bills team?), and Allen is at the peak of his powers. Predicting 4-2 with some absolutely mid teams on the schedule is not delusional.

So was Chan Gailey and Fitz majic  to some degree

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I mean, I expect 4-2.  Anything less would be disappointing.  The first 6 games aren't full of powerhouses.  Also if we are weaker at WR, lets use more of the positions we are strong at - TE and RB.  Why are we always talking about lack of WR and not talking about how we can use our TE and RB strengths in our offense?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BufBills83 said:

I mean, I expect 4-2.  Anything less would be disappointing.  The first 6 games aren't full of powerhouses.  Also if we are weaker at WR, lets use more of the positions we are strong at - TE and RB.  Why are we always talking about lack of WR and not talking about how we can use our TE and RB strengths in our offense?

Because that would take away the jollies some folks get out of being negative Nancies.   Seriously, losing Samuel hurts if he is out for an extended time.  He’ll be counted on a lot in Brady’s offense.  I imagine you’ll see a lot of  2 TE looks, maybe even 3.  Shakir will get moved around a lot to open things up for him.  Coleman has to put on the big boy pants ASAP.  And you’ll see Cook and Davis out of the backfield in different ways, split out, lot of motion, etc.

Brady has a challenge and has to earn his keep.  And I am sure they’re looking at guys that will become available.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's all of the above. We've always had bad luck, so that's a constant.  Our conditioning staff is terrible. And our organization has terrible foresight after departing (which made perfect sense) with Diggs/Davis. Oh well, these grown up better figure it out. 

It wasn’t that long ago that everyone was lauding our training/conditioning staff for keeping the players healthy. Can’t have it both ways. 

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

1-5 start? No way, even with the weak roster.

Cardinals - W

@ Dolphins - W

Jaguars - W

@ Ravens - L

@ Texans - L

@ Jets - W

Dolphins game is Thursday night, so the evil sun shouldn’t be a factor.

I’m so amused by these “if I put it in writing, it must be fact” posts 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

Because we don’t have Andy Reid calling the plays while we’re waiting on our rookie wr to develop 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Maybe all 3. The LBs are all undersized as it’s in the defensive scheme to have fast and agile LBs. Well, they break down more easily because of their size. They also can’t defend the run worth a crap. Luck and strength and conditioning comes from the same place. If you coach and train specific things, then your players may not be in a place to become injured so easily. I’m not a coach or expert here. So I won’t pretend to know if it’s true, or if it’s fixable or how. But like you said, it’s not a coincidence at this point. It continues to be a problem. There is a reason for it. 

You are just miserable man.  

We will be fine come the regular season. 

You think Josh Allen is crying?   Give him 5 practice squad WR’s and a good O line and he will still carve everyone up.  We have Shakir Kincaid Knox Hollins Coleman and some good RB’s.  If the O line is stout we aren’t losing many games (And Samuel could very well be 100% opening day)

Get a grip.  You come off like a whiny baby B word.  And you call yourself a Bills fan?!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I always wondered what turf toe actually is.  So I looked it up.  It's a "metatarsophalangeal joint sprain."

That clarifies everything.

If anyone has ever had gout in the big toe, I wonder if turf toe is more or less painful. Gout can be excruciatingly painful, I know!

• Agree 1