Curtis Samuel Turf Toe, Other Injury Updates

Process

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Turf toe absolutely lingers and absolutely limits players' effectiveness.

Of all that bad injury news, Samuel having turf toe is easily the worst of it. Especially with how integral it sounded like he was going to be to this team's plans offensively. There is really no one on our offense that can replicate his skillset, either.

This is NOT good.

Potential week one WRs:

Coleman 
Hollins
Shakir
Shavers
Hamler

That is truly ugly. Good God.

They really should look at guys who are still available like Hunter Renfrow or Julio Jones. 

6 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Putting the Jagwires down as a W, when they have been physically kicking our asses the past few seasons is certainly bold.

I’m not going to read too much into an overseas game where we lost our All Pro LB and very important starting DT mid game.

Not to mention that game was the beginning of the end for Dorsey. Brady probably wins that game. Bills marched down the field with ease in the 4th quarter when they actually started play calling with urgency.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I’m not going to read too much into an overseas game where we lost our All Pro LB and very important starting DT mid game.

Not to mention that game was the beginning of the end for Dorsey. Brady probably wins that game. Bills marched down the field with ease in the 4th quarter when they actually started play calling with urgency.

That's kinda my point. Seems like every time we play these guys lately they thrash us and we get horribly banged up. I think it's at best 50/50 for a dub.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He has been shopping at the bargain basement store for years now. How many cheap retreads can I bring in and let’s see if they stick.

It is time to admit that the talent evaluation acumen of this group is also a large part of the problem.

I think there’s two positional groups that you can really criticize Beane about - DE and WR.   You can point to both groups as being the reason why the team has stalled in the post season.  

The lack of investment in WR seems to be rearing its ugly head.  Additions were limited to undervalued FA’s and mid-to-low round draft picks.  Now they are going to be in a position where they need to find a WR1.  It’s either going to take a huge chunk of cap space or a high draft pick.  

DE was not for lack of trying.  Beane invested a lot of cap space and draft picks in the position and nothing really hit on a grand scale.  If Rosseau is going to look like he did Sunday every week - that could change.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

That's kinda my point. Seems like every time we play these guys lately they thrash us and we get horribly banged up. I think it's at best 50/50 for a dub.

I’m hoping Brady is a big difference maker this year, since he can actually put into place his offense. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Sure, but prior to 2023 the receiving corps was at least adequate. 

Beane’s WR strategy last offseason to now is questionable to say the least. 

Not really disagreeing with this, but my point was that it's not clear that just drafting another receiver in 2024 was going to magically fix the situation.

• Like (+1) 2

This season is an anomaly. We are not in the drought years but we are finally not Super Bowl favorites. This feels like the late 90’s. Let’s just have some fun this year! Mild expectations with the leagues best QB!!

Edited by Bills!Win!

3 hours ago, Process said:

This is a pretty brutal update with so many guys being week to week this close to the season. 

Samuel with turf toe, isn't that something that can linger? And MVS out multiple weeks. Our depth at WR suddenly isn't looking that strong. 

And it looks like there is the potential for Lewis to be the starting S week 1. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4801978/2023/08/24/fantasy-football-injury-mailbag-turf-toe-recovery-time/

Q: What is the typical recovery time for turf toe? – F D.

Turf toe can take multiple months to heal if it’s severe enough and the recovery is inadequate, but we’re getting ahead of ourselves. First, let’s look at what turf toe is and why a seemingly innocuous injury can take so long to heal.

Anyone who’s battled a turf toe injury before can tell you first hand how painful it truly is. On the big toe, there are two joints: the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) and the interphalangeal (IP). When the MTP is bent upwards into hyperextension, we call that turf toe.

When it comes to recovery times, we tend to see Grade 1 sprains (mild) heal in a few days to roughly two weeks. In these cases, there isn’t much damage and the symptoms are minor swelling, inflammation, and pain. Grade 2 sprains (moderate) is when we start to see legitimate damage to the ligaments and tendons. Recovery generally takes a few weeks to a few months. Anything beyond that, we classify as Grade 3 sprains (severe). This is when ligaments or tendons are ruptured. As a result, recovery can take several months and surgery may be required.

Read more: Bills players call out ‘terrible’ turf in London game against Jaguars at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

From a performance standpoint, some players can manage the pain of a Grade 1 turf toe injury to play through it and not suffer any significant or additional damage (though we wouldn’t recommend it). Anything above that is either way too risky or frankly way too painful to play through. When the MTP joint on the big toe is sprained, every “push off” movement with the foot is going to be impacted. This includes but is not limited to: sprinting, jumping, and changing direction.

The good news is that rehab tends to be pretty simple for Grade 1 and Grade 2 sprains. It basically entails rest and some light physical therapy. Additionally, there isn’t much long term concern for turf toe injuries unless there is a setback where damage to other structures is possible.

So yeah, turf toe can linger, but if it's a mild Grade I sprain (implied by the week to week) he may be out a couple weeks to heal up and no problem.

35 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

1-5 start? No way, even with the weak roster.

Cardinals - W

@ Dolphins - W

Jaguars - W

@ Ravens - L

@ Texans - L

@ Jets - W

Dolphins game is Thursday night, so the evil sun shouldn’t be a factor.

You're deluding yourself.

• Agree 1