Cee Dee Lamb rejects Cowboys latest offer

Gregg

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Imo this shows how it is imperative to draft these wrs early. Lamb was selected at #17. Even if the Cowboys lose him they got four very good, and not too expensive seasons out of him. 

The thing is, McDermott doesn't focus much on wide receivers. In fact, since 2017, McDermott has only drafted TWO wide receivers in round 2  and NONE in round one and yes; I am aware of the Diggs trade. 

During this same time span, he drafted 5 defensive players in round one, and 3 in round two. In 2017 he traded back (giving away the Mahomes pick) and twice he traded UP to draft defenders (Elam and Edmunds). It is important to note that Beane wasn't here in 2017, although it is a popular thing to blame all questionable drafts on him, and not McDermott.

It is hard for me to visualize a great deal of improvement unless he at some point decides to provide Josh Allen with more and better receivers. Doing so would seem to make total sense.

Jmo.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/bills

But to be somewhat fair ,

They have made sincere efforts to protect Josh and improve the run game

And The Kincaid thing was a fine pick you must admit

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

This year's WR group says more about how McD views Allen than anything else.  Because the offense with Allen and Diggs meant you'd want to throw it downfield to maximize those players' skills.  And both Daboll and Dorsey did, with good results at times.  Removing Diggs, they've assembled a bunch of slot receivers, a rookie, and some low-end options who'll play close to the LOS.  And the new OC knows that his HC expects the offense to go a different way than his predecessor OC's.  

This is by design and drafting Coleman doesn't really change the offense much for 2024.  There's something about all of these moves which suggests McD wants Josh to play a safer style that will run it ~50% of the time and largely mixes in short passes to that limited WR group.  I'm not even convinced that Kincaid is suddenly going to be catching passes downfield either.  

By constructing the offense this way, it speaks more to how the HC is unwilling to cede any more control to the QB than is absolutely necessary.  Of course, something has to give eventually and it's only a matter of time.  You can't have the HC clipping the QB's wings...the guy they need when the new stadium opens and charge exorbitant prices just to have the right to buy tickets. 

Maybe it says more about how the Bills no longer want to be held hostage by a diva WR. The top WR salaries are stupid and potential cap-killers ... like Diggs' extension. That alone would make Bean double-pump at signing a CDL.

So let's not assume OBD is oblivious to WR and offense. We may be witness to a new way of doing business: flood the field with varied and competent skill sets with multiple move packages and non-standard position assignments. Use the WR to make DC's go crazy, much like McD has done on defense with his safties.

And save a gazillion dollars and headaches with the league's unquestionably #1 diva position.

Edited by alg
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I mean.. Pegula is one of the handful of owners in the league that would have no problem giving Ceedee his cash flow demands … Jerry is obviously one of the others, so, not sure what his hold up is. 

WR sticker shock? Receivers are breaking the bank big time. I'm wondering if any of these mega deals will be worth it in a couple of years. You might see more of a receiver by committee approach around the league soon, or drafting them high and letting them walk after their 4th or 5th year.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, MJS said:

WR sticker shock? Receivers are breaking the bank big time. I'm wondering if any of these mega deals will be worth it in a couple of years. You might see more of a receiver by committee approach around the league soon, or drafting them high and letting them walk after their 4th or 5th year.

We could swing it with our cap situation moving forward, but it means you’re letting Brown & Shakir (at minimum) walk.  

Von, Knox & Milano come off the books, potentially, in two years.  

Better have a bunch more drafts like we’ve had the past few years though. 

Lamb should be ashamed of his dumb self if he actually believes 30+ million is not enough for his kiester.

Great to see though, as Dallas is a train wreck of an organization with their GM leading that crash through all of his actions. One less good team to be concerned about.

A lame duck head coach, a lame duck quarterback, both of whom will be under significant pressure to win several playoff games this year--or else...  Not a recipe for success, not conducive to a team, where players are enjoying their journey.  

We should all thank the football gods for giving us our owner, GM, and head coach who create the opposite atmosphere in Buffalo, one where the team, and all players on that team, work  together as a team.  And where they seem to enjoy their journey.

Hoping that somehow Stefon Diggs ends as a cowgirl next year, the perfect team for him to end his career with.  Every man for himself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, alg said:

Maybe it says more about how the Bills no longer want to be held hostage by a diva WR. The top WR salaries are stupid and potential cap-killers ... like Diggs' extension. That alone would make Bean double-pump at signing a CDL.

So let's not assume OBD is oblivious to WR and offense. We may be witness to a new way of doing business: flood the field with varied and competent skill sets with multiple move packages and non-standard position assignments. Use the WR to make DC's go crazy, much like McD has done on defense with his safties.

And save a gazillion dollars and headaches with the league's unquestionably #1 diva position.

You likely don't have to trade for or sign UFA WRs (and take on decent sized contracts) if you A) draft WRs high and B) hit on those picks.  Buffalo only got serious about WR this year they decided to move on from 2023's starters.  

Because...what you do in the draft tells everyone what your priorities are.  And they didn't take a WR in RD 1-3 from 2018-2023.  Always had another draft priority in that time.    

And still, as many others have observed, everything aligned well in this past draft.  Buffalo needed a WR and the draft was widely held as strong there...yet they walked away with only 1.  Living up to their history, they had more picks to use on safeties and DTs.  Meh. 

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Sorry, they picked up the fifth year option. I forgot they haven’t officially done the extension yet but they anticipate paying him more than $170 million.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/170-million-man-micah-parsons-sign-dallas-cowboys-contract-set-record-josh-allen

Off topic but no way I’m paying Parsons. He can’t stop the run and cares more about podcasting. Cowboys need to lock CeeDee up. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

But to be somewhat fair ,

They have made sincere efforts to protect Josh and improve the run game

And The Kincaid thing was a fine pick you must admit

Agreed. I liked the pick and tbh I was surprised by it. I think that if we had better receivers, Kincaid would get less coverage and develop even faster. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsVet said:

This year's WR group says more about how McD views Allen than anything else.  Because the offense with Allen and Diggs meant you'd want to throw it downfield to maximize those players' skills.  And both Daboll and Dorsey did, with good results at times.  Removing Diggs, they've assembled a bunch of slot receivers, a rookie, and some low-end options who'll play close to the LOS.  And the new OC knows that his HC expects the offense to go a different way than his predecessor OC's.  

This is by design and drafting Coleman doesn't really change the offense much for 2024.  There's something about all of these moves which suggests McD wants Josh to play a safer style that will run it ~50% of the time and largely mixes in short passes to that limited WR group.  I'm not even convinced that Kincaid is suddenly going to be catching passes downfield either.  

By constructing the offense this way, it speaks more to how the HC is unwilling to cede any more control to the QB than is absolutely necessary.  Of course, something has to give eventually and it's only a matter of time.  You can't have the HC clipping the QB's wings...the guy they need when the new stadium opens and charge exorbitant prices just to have the right to buy tickets. 

Sounds painfully accurate.  Really time for a new regime, no more wasting Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

Jerruh may be a billionaire, but he’s not always as smart as he thinks he is. Especially on the contract stuff. 

would we call this 'cowboysy' or 'Jonesy'? 

Jerry continues to cost himself money by just not getting the deal done early. 1st with the QB and now here.

That is when he is not overpaying broken down running backs.

He is a genius though- just ask him.

• Agree 2

The Bills have quietly gone large with their WRs and TEs.  Except for Shakir at 6'0'', all the WRs and TEs are all around 6'3" or taller.  With many teams following the Bills D by going to fast, smaller LBs, I think the Bills plan is to create height matchup problems in the pass game, and body mass problems in the running game downfield, for defenses.  This is a completely different approach than the typical WR1 diva mentality.  I have no idea if it will work, but with the Bills cap situation this year probably they Bills didn't have any choice except to be creative with their offense. They're going against the grain, which works sometimes and doesn't work others.  

• Like (+1) 1