All-22 review of safety play?

Rubes

Safety is and has been one of our biggest concerns going into this season. After the Steelers game, I've read or listened to a couple of All-22 reviews, and neither one made any mention of the safety play.

Perhaps that's a good thing (no concerning errors?), but I'd still expect to see a lot of focus on their play, but haven't. Anyone know of an All-22 review that mentions anything about how our safeties looked?

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Joe Marino dropped his All-22 review and he usually addresses safety. I haven't listened to it yet, though.

That was one of the two I listened to. Not much mention at all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv said:

Pittsburg was not a good test for our safties. Pittsburg offense appears to be very weak. I can see why they were chasing Brandon Aiyuk.

Russell "I can See Ciara now" Wilson is the new Checkdown Charlie and Fields had only a couple throws downfield, so agreed, hard to get a red on Bills Safety play from that game

To evaluate safety play you'd have to know what the player was supposed to be doing on any given play, and then see whether he did the right thing. That's tough to do in a complicated three-level defense. The Bills defensive structure relies on smart, athletic, and brave men (considering some of the big guys they have to take on) working as a unit. Fortunately players like that are usually available.  

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

To evaluate safety play you'd have to know what the player was supposed to be doing on any given play, and then see whether he did the right thing. That's tough to do in a complicated three-level defense. The Bills defensive structure relies on smart, athletic, and brave men (considering some of the big guys they have to take on) working as a unit. Fortunately players like that are usually available.  

Isn't that true for just about any position?

Safeties have multiple responsibilities in the run and pass game. I'm mostly looking to see things like tackling (eg, missed tackles), angles (eg, poor angles), closing speed, shedding blocks, discipline, things like that. All can be evaluated to some extent, whether the offense is running or passing.