The Connor McGovern @ Center Experiment -- How Do You See it Going So Far?

For me it’s too early to tell, and you haven’t heard about McGovern in the two regular season games, and I haven’t seen many penalties.  All quiet is usually a good sign.

i never make assumptions in the pre season as the team is working out the kinks.  We have played like a top 5 O Line so far.  They’ll be tested tomorrow with the Jags front.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, finn said:

It's possible the depth chart says more about Anderson than SVPG. Maybe someone with access to the All-22 film can verify, but he seems active and effective when he's on the field as a sixth blocker. Feisty demeanor, too, as we learned in preseason. Have they found a gem in Anderson?

I don't know if I'd quite go as far as "gem" but they have definitely found another guy as an UDFA who is good depth and can play in the league. Where his ceiling lies remains tbc.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Just like I’ve been saying all along. It was a  huge mistake not having a better C than McGovern . Hes not good 

i think charts like these need to be taken with a box of salt.  They rely on accurate data about who the blown block or pressure was on.

Which, might or might not be correct. 

Eric Wood did a segment on this after he retired could no longer be cleared for football, giving examples of places where he tried to bail out his guard for a blown assignment and was charged by PFF with a blown block - but it was the guard's blown block.

I'd like to see data more on the whole OL

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

For me it’s too early to tell, and you haven’t heard about McGovern in the two regular season games, and I haven’t seen many penalties.  All quiet is usually a good sign.

i never make assumptions in the pre season as the team is working out the kinks.  We have played like a top 5 O Line so far.  They’ll be tested tomorrow with the Jags front.

Yeah, I think the Dolphins front sucks.  I thought the Cardinals were OK.

I've seen Josh stooping to pick up low snaps more and I don't like that.  Not too many penalties is good.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, finn said:

It's possible the depth chart says more about Anderson than SVPG. Maybe someone with access to the All-22 film can verify, but he seems active and effective when he's on the field as a sixth blocker. Feisty demeanor, too, as we learned in preseason. Have they found a gem in Anderson?

Anderson was as impressive as any Bills lineman last year in his preseason reps. I wasn't as chuffed with his film this year, but I'm still think he can be an eventual plus starter in the league, for the Bills or whoever. His best reps that I've seen have been at Center.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

i think charts like these need to be taken with a box of salt.  They rely on accurate data about who the blown block or pressure was on.

Which, might or might not be correct. 

Eric Wood did a segment on this after he retired could no longer be cleared for football, giving examples of places where he tried to bail out his guard for a blown assignment and was charged by PFF with a blown block - but it was the guard's blown block.

I'd like to see data more on the whole OL

Yeah, I think the Dolphins front sucks.  I thought the Cardinals were OK.

I've seen Josh stooping to pick up low snaps more and I don't like that.  Not too many penalties is good.

Beck, exactly in the lack of penalties.  I kind of chalked up the low snaps to McGovern and Josh are trying to create synergy.  This is an evolution and Josh benefited from an all pro experienced center for a long time with Morse.

• Agree 1