The Connor McGovern @ Center Experiment -- How Do You See it Going So Far?

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

I heard Sal P report that  Anderson has gotten more reps with the 2s and so has gotten more reps with the 3s and that Anderson has looked better thus far as the backup center.

Correct SVPG has been exclusively 3rd string at center. He did get a bit of run on Saturday at guard with a version of the line that was a mix of 2s and 3s but Anderson stayed in at center in that drive. Overall I'd describe SVPG's pre-season as "solid." But to rise up the depth chart he'd need to pop a bit more or have the guys above him to struggle and neither of those has happened. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/20/2024 at 10:50 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Sad that a HC picks the plan before the draft and before training camp.

Shouldn't they all be competing for jobs?

They are.

Pretty sure if SVPG was playing terrific, he'd replace McGovern and it wouldn't take long.

Plans aren't things that don't account for possible changes based on situations evolving or results being different than expected.

On 8/21/2024 at 1:59 AM, Logic said:

I think all the "McGovern is just a stopgap" and "he's the center by default after cutting Morse" talk is off base.

It seems to me like McGovern established himself as the leader of the offensive line last year, and a major leader of the offense as a whole. I can't remember where, but I recently read/saw that it was pizza nights at McGovern's house that helped turn the season around last year. That the comradery and closeness built amongst the line and amongst the team at his house on those nights helped the guys dig deep and come together and want to fight for each other. In a season where team chemistry and intangible were a bit...funky, I don't think this report should be discounted.

As for purely the on-field aspect: McGovern is/was a natural center. He has stated that he wanted to play center in the NFL, but the Cowboys didn't give him the chance. I'm sure the Bills coaching staff knew that he wanted to play center, too, not to mention having seen him do so in Bills practices and camp last year. 

It is my opinion that the combination of McGovern's leadership and the ability and play they saw from him at center last year helped them decide that now was the time to move on from Morse. I like SVP as much as the next guy. You can look back through the archives and see me touting him on draft night as the future starter for the Bills. I still think he may be that, but I'm looking at it happening maybe a few seasons down the line. For now? Unless McGovern struggles, he's the guy. Not by accident, not as a stopgap, but by conscious choice of the front office and coaching staff.

That's interesting. I hadn't really noticed that.

Good thoughts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They are.

Pretty sure if SVPG was playing terrific, he'd replace McGovern and it wouldn't take long.

Plans aren't things that don't account for possible changes based on situations evolving or results being different than expected.

He isn't even ahead of Anderson on the depth chart. SVPG is 3rd string center right now. He has been solid in the two games but these people are basing their assertion that he "must start" on nothing other than they liked the draft pick. So did I. I said at the time it was possibly my favourite pick the Bills made in the draft. That does not mean he was ready to start day 1 ahead of really experienced guys like McGovern and Edwards (who won a Superbowl as a starting guard lest we forget). 

I think McGovern will be an upgrade in pass protection; Morse had trouble with bigger DTs and I'm hoping McGovern is stouter there.  But I also thought Morse was really good in the run game especially when he'd pull to lead outside runs.  It will be interesting to see how McGovern does there.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I think McGovern will be an upgrade in pass protection; Morse had trouble with bigger DTs and I'm hoping McGovern is stouter there.  But I also thought Morse was really good in the run game especially when he'd pull to lead outside runs.  It will be interesting to see how McGovern does there.

Yea McGovern is mobile but he isn't Morse who was arguably the best pulling center in football IMO. As I said to @GoBills808 I do think he will be an upgrade in Morse in the power run game though.... the legit question is how do you knit more of that into the scheme to take advantage of that strength while maintaining an overall offensive coherence. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't even ahead of Anderson on the depth chart. SVPG is 3rd string center right now. He has been solid in the two games but these people are basing their assertion that he "must start" on nothing other than they liked the draft pick. So did I. I said at the time it was possibly my favourite pick the Bills made in the draft. That does not mean he was ready to start day 1 ahead of really experienced guys like McGovern and Edwards (who won a Superbowl as a starting guard lest we forget). 

I concur. I always thought SVPG would probably "redshirt" a year and we'll see how it shakes out next year. A pretty nice problem to potentially have and I'm absolutely pulling for the guy as my last name is Dranger. How cool would a custom Van Pran Dranger jersey be?😂😆🤣

33 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Given the starters are NOT playing tomorrow, who starts at Center?

Alec Anderson.

I would imagine the starting OL to be Grable and Van Demark at tackle, Collins left guard, Anderson Center, Clapp right guard. Because that has been the 2nd team OL all summer.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

On 8/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, HIT BY SPIKES said:

I did a search here and not much came up.

Yes, it has only been two pre-season games however I don't like what I am seeing so far from our interior OL in general and specifically Connor McGovern at Center.

Since I never liked the idea of taking a player with so little NFL experience at Center being move to there as the starter perhaps posters more versed in OL Center play can convince me otherwise. 

I appreciate Connor McGovern played Center in college however after being the starter in Center for one year, the next year he played his final year in college at Guard.

Given this position handles the ball on each and every play and it protects our $250M investment in our QB, normally calls the OL play and is often the key to opening rushing lanes between the tackles, should I be concerned?

Absolutely. Morse was a very very good pass blocker, but the lacked the physicality & nastiness to be a truly dominant run blocker. I think McGovern will fare very well and I think Buffalo believes so also. This is why they drafted Davis. I believe we are going to see a run game that can close that can close out games in the 4th quarter. 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Absolutely. Morse was a very very good pass blocker, but the lacked the physicality & nastiness to be a truly dominant run blocker. I think McGovern will fare very well and I think Buffalo believes so also. This is why they drafted Davis. I believe we are going to see a run game that can close that can close out games in the 4th quarter. 

I would love that!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/19/2024 at 12:32 PM, Virgil said:

I wish we would have given the rookie more of a chance, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a scenario in mind - Mcgovern starts the season and does okay but then at some point he gets dinged and has to set 3 or 4 games, the rookie comes in and does a masterful job because that is his position . Connor due to his contract goes back to guard the O line is humming prior to & into the play offs opening holes for the backs .

Next season the rookie stays at center McBeane trade Mcgovern to the Giants for a 3rd round pick to clear out some cap space or they keep him at guard & let the other guard Edwards ? walk in FA .

• Like (+1) 2

I think the experiment has almost as much to do with the guard play and the replacement there. So I feel like I gotta see the starters play over a few games to judge. JMO... 

• Like (+1) 1