What it’s like to try out for an NFL team

SCBills

Young punters need to be patient.  During the season, several punters are bound to go down with injury.   If you don't make a 53 man squad, keep in shape and hope your agent can get you into a tryout situation.  There will be a number of them.

• Like (+1) 1

I always feel bad for the guys who go all the way through college, then come in as an undrafted free agent and then go all the way through training camp only to be cut. 

I often wonder what do these people do in life when they can’t make it in the nfl? Maybe coach at some high school at best? 

I’m just your average dude but I can’t imagine the disappointment that would linger my whole life if I had one shot to make an nfl team but wasn’t good enough. 

Edited by Bills!Win!

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yeesh.. that ending is emotional 

those videos are great.  editing is smooth as hell. cute kid and wife.  that moving company idea is pretty smart too considering who his peers are, and fun viral marketing... smart dude i had no clue about before yesterday and now im rooting for!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't get it, he travels with only a backpack and then he sends it as checked luggage?  His Wonderlic score must be really low.

Or he has/ is to travel with something that might not be ok with being In the main cabin during flight.  Maybe it’s a liquid over the oz rules.  

• Like (+1) 2

Only about 1% of people who try out for Professional sports actually makes it and even out of those, only about 0.1% actually succeeds to any amount of success, so i'd say that you better make sure you have an education to fall back on cause those are some really bad odds.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I always feel bad for the guys who go all the way through college, then come in as an undrafted free agent and then go all the way through training camp only to be cut. 

I often wonder what do these people do in life when they can’t make it in the nfl? Maybe coach at some high school at best? 

I’m just your average dude but I can’t imagine the disappointment that would linger my whole life if I had one shot to make an nfl team but wasn’t good enough. 

It's even worse in his case because he's from the Cincinnati area, punted at Ohio State, and then was the starting punter for the Bengals during their 2021-2022 run to the AFC Championship game, only to have the team draft his replacement in the following draft. So he got a taste and now can't get back. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

What were those cards he was placing around?

The card said "Pink Zebra Moving"  which AI tells me - shockingly - is a moving company.

I guess when you're an unemployed punter, you have to earn your grocery money some other way.  

Not being good enough is easier to deal with. Not getting a shot to prove otherwise is the hard part. If he has had multiple try outs with multiple teams and he has just come up a little bit short... no disgrace you gave it a shot, you know you weren't quite at the level. As someone who came up just a little bit short myself of the level it takes to make it in soccer I know the feeling a little bit. And I am completely okay living with it. I remember the exact moment when that realisation that I'm just not quite at this level dawned on me and I was almost immediately at peace with it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Here’s the cool thing about college…it also prepares you to do things other than play football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not being good enough is easier to deal with. Not getting a shot to prove otherwise is the hard part. If he has had multiple try outs with multiple teams and he has just come up a little bit short... no disgrace you gave it a shot, you know you weren't quite at the level. As someone who came up just a little bit short myself of the level it takes to make it in soccer I know the feeling a little bit. And I am completely okay living with it. I remember the exact moment when that realisation that I'm just not quite at this level dawned on me and I was almost immediately at peace with it. 

Yep.  My freshman year, I thought I was going to be drafted in the future.  Then I started playing against the top SEC and ACC schools and quicky realized that I'm not them.  I mean there is a whole other level.

Ex NBA'er Brian Scalibrini, who was a terrible NBA player once said to regular Joe's "I'm closer to LeBron James than you are to me" and it's true.

He has videos of being challenged by these guys thinking they could take a terrible NBA player.  He destroys them every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1