If you could get a day 2 pick for Cook would you pull the trigger…

julian

Great game from Cook.  But let’s slow the victory parade a tad here.

Miami is a mess in the trenches, maybe one of the easiest front 7’s were going to play all year.  Then you add in that it was a short week and very hot and humid game, all of which affects the DL the most, and coming in I kept telling everyone expect a heavy dose of our run game this week because we should have a lot of success on the ground.

Nothing against him by any means…but, let’s see how he plays against tougher tests before we are back to throwing the bag at him next year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

cook has gotta be the most underrated RB in the league

last night was a break out game

having said that.....would i take a day 2 draft pick TODAY for a trade ?

YES, but only for an early 2nd rounder.....NO for late 2nd or any 3rd.

i'm squarely in the camp of ...i'm not paying big bux for a RB second contract and can find a new one easily

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

cook has gotta be the most underrated RB in the league

last night was a break out game

having said that.....would i take a day 2 draft pick TODAY for a trade ?

YES, but only for an early 2nd rounder.....NO for late 2nd or any 3rd.

i'm squarely in the camp of ...i'm not paying big bux for a RB second contract and can find a new one easily

But what has "not paying a RB on second contract" got to do with trading one of your best players for a day 2 pick.   Cook si available to this team for four seasons and he will play those seasons out and will get a 2nd rich contract from a team that can afford to pay him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Miami is a mess in the trenches, maybe one of the easiest front 7’s were going to play all year.  Then you add in that it was a short week and very hot and humid game, all of which affects the DL the most, and coming in I kept telling everyone expect a heavy dose of our run game this week because we should have a lot of success on the ground.

Nothing against him by any means…but, let’s see how he plays against tougher tests before we are back to throwing the bag at him next year.  

I say give him his flowers.  The game planned called for him to produce and he did. 

Those stout defensive fronts that play the run well, I believe Brady is going to game plan those games where someone else eats. 

I think that's gonna be a theme this year. 

Last week Josh was superman

This week Cook cooked the fish. 

Next week.....

Wouldn't it be nice to see a different player on offense have a hell of a game. 

How tough would that be for opposing defenses to game plan?

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Honestly I can’t imagine them doing it.  Having Josh on board as a career Bill means tough roster/cap decisions for the remainder of his tenure and a RB ain’t where you put the money in 2024.

The thing with Cook has always been that he has WR skills as a RB. 

In the CMC, Kamara mold.  

He’s starting to show that..

Thats the type of RB that you, at least, give thought to extending.  Especially given he barely had any usage in college. 

Im not saying we should.. but if he keeps this up, you’ve got to think about it. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm certainly not at "throw the bag at him" not at all. Takes a lot for me to get there with any running back. But he is unquestionably the most talented back that has played for the Bills in this regime. And at the moment he is our most proven offensive weapon not name Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The thing with Cook has always been that he has WR skills as a RB. 

In the CMC, Kamara mold.  

He’s starting to show that..

Thats the type of RB that you, at least, give through to extending.  Especially given he barely had any usage in college. 

Im not saying we should.. but if he keeps this up, you’ve got to think about it. 

The RBs that are game breaking threats in the running game and downfield passing attack are really the only ones that you should pay. They will likely offer him a second contract, but because of Josh’s cap hit it will be for Aaron Jones money instead of CMC money…. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm certainly not at "throw the bag at him" not at all. Takes a lot for me to get there with any running back. But he is unquestionably the most talented back that has played for the Bills in this regime. And at the moment he is our most proven offensive weapon not name Josh Allen. 

This is where I'm at.  I've adopted the don't pay running backs philosophy but on a team largely void of top end offensive talent, it has to be considered based on how he's performing.

Edited by White Linen

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

James Cook is great but yes I would still do it.  I never want to commit a large amount of money to a RB and that's what Cook will get.

We have a great up and comer behind him right now.

Keep putting money into the OL and DL, back end defense and multiple WR's.

I'm not sold on that yet. 

I'm still where I was when this thread was started. Come back to me after this season when he is a year away from possibly walking for nothing and I'll have the conversation. He would need by then not to be clearly our second best offensive weapon behind Allen though for me to do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

James Cook is great but yes I would still do it.  I never want to commit a large amount of money to a RB and that's what Cook will get.

We have a great up and comer behind him right now.

Keep putting money into the OL and DL, back end defense and multiple WR's.

Dude totally! Let's get rid of him while we have him for this year AND next year on a rookie deal! Why not?! We have an "up and comer" and those ALWAYS work out. Let's trade our best offensive weapon currently (behind Josh) for a second round pick! 

Who wants a guy that was 4th in the league last year in yards and is having an amazing year thus far (I know it's only week 2).. Do you even believe what you just wrote? 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1