If you could get a day 2 pick for Cook would you pull the trigger…

julian

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well, to be fair, Thurman was a HOFer and Kenneth Davis was a quality backup.

If Allen had those two, Allen has 3 rings now, not Mahomes.

So if we trade Cook and Davis needs to be spelled or get injured, are we good with Ty Johnson or whomever being our starter for a few games or more?  I’d prefer two starting level RBs on my team versus one this year, and don’t see the value of trading one of those pieces away for a future draft pick that won’t help this season.  If Beane trades Cook and Davis gets hurt the next week, this place would be calling for Beane’s head.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, julian said:

After seeing what we’ve seen from Davis, if a team suffered a rb1 injury and called offering a day 2 pick would you do it ?

I think I do it, he’s not getting a 2nd contract and you might be better with Davis at rb1, Ty Johnson looks like he’s a capable #2.

Probably not because it still leaves a big at RB this season.  But it is a good reminder that you might not need to spend significant money on the Rb position 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

Probably not because it still leaves a big at RB this season.  But it is a good reminder that you might not need to spend significant money on the Rb position 

Ya I can see both sides of it, and if Bean ever gives a 2nd contract to a rb while Josh Allen is the QB I’ll lose my mind.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Do you ever wonder how well Cook could do if he got more than 12 attempts/game?

Can we get an update on CJ’s march to  a 2k yard season? He’s gotta be getting close.

Edited by FireChans

So you want to trade one of the only two day 2 picks that have amounted to anything under Beane for another pick??

Are you just intent on wasting this season for 2025?

While I do subscribe to the fact RBs are disposable, you still need them on your team. Use him for his entire contract then move on. Hope you find someone just as good two years from now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing against Cook, but Diggs (a higher tier player) just went for a day 2 pick…if you can get a day 2 pick for an undersized RB with ball security issues you do it.  

Id take that day 2 pick especially knowing he won’t likely get a 2nd contract and you can go sign a FA to backup Davis.  

Next year we would have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds plus out 3rd and 3 fourth rounders.  Not to mention good cap space.  We would be heavily armed to make significant moves and set this team up for next 5 years.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Rule #1 - Never draft a RB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round.

Rule #2 - Never resign a RB to a 2nd contract, unless it's entirely team friendly 

Rule #3 - Never hesitate to trade a productive RB on your roster if another team is dumb enough to offer a top 100 pick

Rule #4 - Never make an exception for Rules 1-3

So my answer is a firm yes. Cook has enough holes in his game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 3

As to the OP - keep your day job.  

Let's go over this again.

Cook, in his 2nd year in the NFL, was 3rd in yards from scrimmage by a RB in the entire NFL.  He was a Pro Bowl selection.  Cook is an excellent receiver, has a fantastic burst and average 4.7 yards a carry.  He is also 24. (25 in a month).

The key to longevity in the NFL is tread on the tire.  Cook only has only carried the ball 230 (college) plus 326 in the NFL.  That's 556 carries over the last 6 years.  That is not a heavy work load.  Cook benefitted from UGA's rotational backfield.  

Now let's compare to Davis.  In 5 years in college, Davis carried the ball 746 times (that's 500 more college carries than Cook). He is also only 6 weeks younger than Cook.  Davis is definitely here is lessen Cook's workload and hopefully keep both players healthy and productive, but don't be fooled.  Davis has less tread on the tire after being the workhorse back for 3 different universities in college (Temple, Vandy and UK).  

Cook is much more likely to get a 2nd NFL contract from the Bills than Davis.  By the time Davis gets to his 2nd contract he'll already be nearly 29.  Cook will only be nearly 27.   

Trading Cook for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now right after he established himself as a Pro Bowl running back is just dumb.  When was the last time the Bills drafted a RB who had a season similar to Cook's with a 2nd or 3rd round pick?  The answer is Travis Henry in 2001.  So lets trade Cook and wait 20 years to replace him.  Sounds like a great strategy.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Kid was 4th in rushing and 3rd in scrimmage yards last season . I know his hands are questionable but he's an exciting player on the rise.

Over 1500 yards against solid opposing defenses. Can't give up on a 3rd year player with that production. 

With the upcoming Brady scheme he's bound to see an uptick.

I say stick....

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Estro said:

Rule #1 - Never draft a RB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round.

Rule #2 - Never resign a RB to a 2nd contract, unless it's entirely team friendly 

Rule #3 - Never hesitate to trade a productive RB on your roster if another team is dumb enough to offer a top 100 pick

Rule #4 - Never make an exception for Rules 1-3

So my answer is a firm yes. Cook has enough holes in his game.

LOL - Beane, one of the best GM's in the NFL disagrees with your "rules."  Between 2019 and 2022 (4 drafts), Beane used a 3rd on Singletary, a 3rd on Moss and a 2nd on Cook.  

I do agree with the general premise in today's NFL that you don't draft RBs in the 1st rd, but the rest of your rules make literally no sense, especially for a team trying to get to the Super Bowl.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So you want to trade one of the only two day 2 picks that have amounted to anything under Beane for another pick??

Are you just intent on wasting this season for 2025?

While I do subscribe to the fact RBs are disposable, you still need them on your team. Use him for his entire contract then move on. Hope you find someone just as good two years from now.

That’s a strategy I’m good with for sure, but just because he’s one of a very few day 2 picks to pan out shouldn’t get in the way of getting draft capital if your willing to gamble with the injury gods, of course it ultimately comes down to how you really feel about Ray Davis.

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nothing against Cook, but Diggs (a higher tier player) just went for a day 2 pick…if you can get a day 2 pick for an undersized RB with ball security issues you do it.  

Id take that day 2 pick especially knowing he won’t likely get a 2nd contract and you can go sign a FA to backup Davis.  

Next year we would have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds plus out 3rd and 3 fourth rounders.  Not to mention good cap space.  We would be heavily armed to make significant moves and set this team up for next 5 years.

100% This is exactly what I was thinking when I posed the question. I understand having both Cook and Davis is nice injury insurance, but if these coaches are all in with what they’re seeing from Davis then I’d want them to pull the trigger.

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

As to the OP - keep your day job.  

Let's go over this again.

Cook, in his 2nd year in the NFL, was 3rd in yards from scrimmage by a RB in the entire NFL.  He was a Pro Bowl selection.  Cook is an excellent receiver, has a fantastic burst and average 4.7 yards a carry.  He is also 24. (25 in a month).

The key to longevity in the NFL is tread on the tire.  Cook only has only carried the ball 230 (college) plus 326 in the NFL.  That's 556 carries over the last 6 years.  That is not a heavy work load.  Cook benefitted from UGA's rotational backfield.  

Now let's compare to Davis.  In 5 years in college, Davis carried the ball 746 times (that's nearly 200 more carries than Cook). He is also only 6 weeks younger than Cook.  Davis is definitely here is lessen Cook's workload and hopefully keep both players healthy and productive, but don't be fooled.  Davis has less tread on the tire after being the workhorse back for 3 different universities in college (Temple, Vandy and UK).  

Cook is much more likely to get a 2nd NFL contract from the Bills than Davis.  By the time Davis gets to his 2nd contract he'll already be nearly 29.  Cook will only be nearly 27.   

Trading Cook for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now right after he established himself as a Pro Bowl running back is just dumb.  When was the last time the Bills drafted a RB who had a season similar to Cook's with a 2nd or 3rd round pick?  The answer is Travis Henry in 2001.  So lets trade Cook and wait 20 years to replace him.  Sounds like a great strategy.  

Unfortunately I will be keeping my sh*tty day job lol.

I guess I just don’t put as much stock into the rb position now as I did when our QBs were routinely throwing for 180 yards and it was cool to watch those sweet runs lol.

I only brought up the question because I think Ray Davis may be seen as an answer in that building.If the Bills give either of them a 2nd contract I’d be shaking my head, just build a good oline and keep replacing these backs in the draft on cheap deals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, julian said:

Unfortunately I will be keeping my sh*tty day job lol.

I guess I just don’t put as much stock into the rb position now as I did when our QBs were routinely throwing for 180 yards and it was cool to watch those sweet runs lol.

I only brought up the question because I think Ray Davis may be seen as an answer in that building.If the Bills give either of them a 2nd contract I’d be shaking my head, just build a good oline and keep replacing these backs in the draft on cheap deals.

You just don't dispose of your good young players as soon as they become good for the uncertainty of a draft pick.  Davis is here to help limit the work load for Cook.  He is here to help in short yardage and add an additional weapon for Josh.  I love the Davis Pick as I saw him play at UK and Vandy, but this kid has logged a ton of miles as a college RB.  He isn't here to replace Cook, but to compliment him.

Beane has been looking for this type pair since he drafted Singletary and then added Moss the next draft.  That pair didn't quite work out.  I'm more hopeful for this pair.  The closest Bills comparison to how I think this is going to work is the Thurman Thomas/ Kenneth Davis pair.  Granted Cook isn't Thomas, but I think the analogy works. 

The best thing about the current RB room, is that the team has confidence in all 3 players and I can easily see Davis or Johnson stepping up and succeeding if Cook gets hurt.

• Like (+1) 3