If you could get a day 2 pick for Cook would you pull the trigger…

julian

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Benford is so tough and physical.  He brings nastiness and attitude.  He pops more every game.  Prioritize and sign ASAP.  He is getting national mentions.  I  too expect Beane to make that happen

Ingram's the same way, possibly even moreso.

I wonder how much influence Taron Johnson (or Poyer for that matter) has had on them.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd rather Cook than Motor!! 14 carries for 24 yards... sheesh 

He's averaging the same ypc as Barkley did last year (3.9 ypc) because of the Giants porous offensive line and teams load up the box and dare Daniel Jones to beat them.  Motor isn't the problem with the Giants offense.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

Relax.. it was just a question posed to pass time prior to the season.. where was this ultra overly dramatic response when the thread was created, I mean pretty convenient to blast away after a great start for Cook.

The question was more about how you build your roster and where you choose to allocate the salary cap, as good as Cook has been, it’s unlikely he’s given a 2nd contract in Buffalo.

Im glad he’s a Bill, he’s been very good, minus the TD drop.

Nope, this is the first time I saw this post.

And ??? , "I mean pretty convenient to blast away after a great start for Cook"  Umm, were you actually surprised that he started as well this year? Out of the country  last year?

He was one of the best players in the league LAST year, Julian:  6th most yards from scrimmage in the league, with 1122 rushing yards and 445 receiving yards.  1567 yards. 

So, yeah, pretty shocking to read the OP. It is how horrible teams operate--not winning teams.

You have to admit, pretty funny that some actually said  we should do this crazy thing!

Can we get a 2nd for Spencer Brown next year? Rousseau?  Kincaid?  I think we could.  Get 'er done, Beane! As soon as all of the good players come into their own, let's cut our losses, just in case...

1 minute ago, Mister Defense said:

Nope, this is the first time I saw this post.

And ??? , "I mean pretty convenient to blast away after a great start for Cook"  Umm, were you actually surprised that he started as well this year? Out of the country  last year?

He was one of the best players in the league LAST year, Julian:  6th most yards from scrimmage in the league, with 1122 rushing yards and 445 receiving yards.  1567 yards. 

So, yeah, pretty shocking to read the OP. It is how horrible teams operate--not winning teams.

You have to admit, pretty funny that some actually said  we should do this crazy thing!

Can we get a 2nd for Spencer Brown next year? Rousseau?  Kincaid?  I think we could.  Get 'er done, Beane! As soon as all of the good players come into their own, let's cut our losses, just in case...

He’s a rb… if Bean pays him the money he’ll get on the open market then he should be fired immediately, again it was about paying the rb position, not how good Cook is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/18/2024 at 9:36 PM, julian said:

After seeing what we’ve seen from Davis, if a team suffered a rb1 injury and called offering a day 2 pick would you do it ?

I think I do it, he’s not getting a 2nd contract and you might be better with Davis at rb1, Ty Johnson looks like he’s a capable #2.

lol I get that this is an off-season thread, but hell to the no. Cook is our best offensive threat not named Allen. We’ve been looking for a good RB since Shady McCoy. Cook has also really improved his receiving game minus that one horrible drop. I like Davis, but he hasn’t shown me much so far. It’s still early in the season. Ty Johnson continues to take advantage of every touch he gets. The guy always seems to net positive yardage in some way. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, julian said:

He’s a rb… if Bean pays him the money he’ll get on the open market then he should be fired immediately, again it was about paying the rb position, not how good Cook is.

Cook makes this offense work….he is the second most important guy

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

Yes!  And Josh knows it; that’s why Cook is so much a part of the game plan now.  He’s our pseudo-Thurman that made the K-Gun work.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TH3 said:

He’s been great, and if Beane gives a rb a large 2nd contract then he needs to be fired, let him play out his contract and walk, draft another rb

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yes!  And Josh knows it; that’s why Cook is so much a part of the game plan now.  He’s our pseudo-Thurman that made the K-Gun work.

I've only been screaming for the Bills to acquire a home run hitting type RB to complement Josh since JT28 entered the league. Many on this board disagreed with my take.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He's averaging the same ypc as Barkley did last year (3.9 ypc) because of the Giants porous offensive line and teams load up the box and dare Daniel Jones to beat them.  Motor isn't the problem with the Giants offense.

I honestly think it's a Daboll problem. We had the same issue here. OL could pass protect far better than run block. We had zero run game and threw the ball 40+ times a game. The line was far from the issue yesterday. Play calling was atrocious. They were running outside zones to a shifted 8 man box to the strong side. 

It seems like they run it just because with no rhyme or reason... he lacks creativity in the run game and we saw that when he was here

Edited by warrior9

1 hour ago, julian said:

He’s been great, and if Beane gives a rb a large 2nd contract then he needs to be fired, let him play out his contract and walk, draft another rb

And how has that worked, look at the RB the bills have drafted, I’m not saying pay him a huge contract. But if we could resign him to a fair deal I’m all for it. 

On 9/14/2024 at 3:20 AM, GASabresIUFan said:

Sometimes I think they should publish possession time for when the game is actually in doubt.  

I am sure the fantasy stats keep track of such crap 

he also will never be part of the answer either

hes the fitz of running backs without the beard or Ivy League pedigree.  Good enough to play in the league but not who you want. 

• Agree 1

Yet he isn't a solution. I defended Motor here but his lack of breakaway speed can be a hindrance. We can see the difference Cook has made since he's replaced Motor.

2 hours ago, julian said:

Wow,  not only does it seem you did not watch Bills' games last year, but maybe did not watch the NFL at all last year--or this year.

The running games are now becoming as vital as ever, again.  So clear that was happening last year, as teams realized they could run and run on the smaller defensive players teams were going with, and schemes, to counter the passing game.

It seems you are sadly suckered in by cliches, the so called conventional wisdom, and don't see what is actually happening in the league. Or with the Bills.

The teams with the best, most dynamic running attacks are taking over now, again. And when Buffalo began to focus on the run, they turned two seasons completely around and became the legitimate Super Bowl contenders we knew they should be.

Open your eyes:  San Fran, Buffalo, KC, Ravens....

So I guess I stumbled onto why you would even consider such a comically bad Cook trade--you likely despise the term 'complimentary football' too, I would guess.

When McD forced Daboll's hand a few years ago, after a 6-5 start, the Bills then ran the ball the most in the NFL--and immediately became a legitimate SB contender, losing to the Chiefs in the 13 second game.

Last year he fired dorsey, and, yup, the Bills ran the ball like they had not in years.  And, just as I suspected, see my posts, the Bills became a dominant, SB contender over night. They went 6-1, their only loss to the Eagles, on a crazy long field goal.

But you think Beane should be fired if Cook continues to shine and becomes the star he seems to becoming--and Beane signs him to another contract?!?!

Despite what we have seen from the Bills when they run the ball a lot and well over the last few years, and despite what we have seen related to NFL running games last year, and even more so this year?

Immensely illogical, ridiculous, and comically so. 

Julian, Two shockingly nonsensical football statements now in this thread. But thanks for filling in the blanks for me--to flesh out how you can possibly have come to these absurd conclusions.  Very clear now.

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Wow,  not only does it seem you did not watch Bills' games last year, but maybe did not watch the NFL at all last year--or this year.

The running games are now becoming as vital as ever, again.  So clear that was happening last year, as teams realized they could run and run on the smaller defensive players teams were going with, and schemes, to counter the passing game.

It seems you are sadly suckered in by cliches, the so called conventional wisdom, and don't see what is actually happening in the league. Or with the Bills.

The teams with the best, most dynamic running attacks are taking over now, again. And when Buffalo began to focus on the run, they turned two seasons completely around and became the legitimate Super Bowl contenders we knew they should be.

Open your eyes:  San Fran, Buffalo, KC, Ravens....

So I guess I stumbled onto why you would even consider such a comically bad Cook trade--you likely despise the term 'complimentary football' too, I would guess.

When McD forced Daboll's hand a few years ago, after a 6-5 start, the Bills then ran the ball the most in the NFL--and immediately became a legitimate SB contender, losing to the Chiefs in the 13 second game.

Last year he fired dorsey, and, yup, the Bills ran the ball like they had not in years.  And, just as I suspected, see my posts, the Bills became a dominant, SB contender over night. They went 6-1, their only loss to the Eagles, on a crazy long field goal.

But you think Beane should be fired if Cook continues to shine and becomes the star he seems to becoming--and Beane signs him to another contract?!?!

Despite what we have seen from the Bills when they run the ball a lot and well over the last few years, and despite what we have seen related to NFL running games last year, and even more so this year?

Immensely illogical, ridiculous, and comically so. 

Julian, Two shockingly nonsensical football statements now in this thread. But thanks for filling in the blanks for me--to flesh out how you can possibly have come to these absurd conclusions.  Very clear now.

When you have an elite QB like Allen or Mahomes it’s piss poor management of the cap to pay a rb, not sure if you’re Cook’s agent or his uncle but I appreciate your effort lol.

keep spending on the oline and not only do the newly drafted and cheap RBs look great you also protect your QB.

We just disagree on the importance of the position, thankfully I believe Beane knows best.

6 minutes ago, julian said:

When you have an elite QB like Allen or Mahomes it’s piss poor management of the cap to pay a rb, not sure if you’re Cook’s agent or his uncle but I appreciate your effort lol.

keep spending on the oline and not only do the newly drafted and cheap RBs look great you also protect your QB.

We just disagree on the importance of the position, thankfully I believe Beane knows best.

Come on though, the facts are awfully clear now. I think this year will make you re-evaluate your analysis.

In fact, more than anything now, I want the Bills to  be true to their 'everyone eats" offensive philosophy--and start making both Davis and Johnson integral parts of the running (and passing) game.  This is the next step, the championship step to me. Think Allen is at his most dangerous now? Wait until the running game becomes a dominant, versatile one...

But yup, we definitely disagree! Watch the Giants game from last night if you have not.  They went with your conventional wisdom and would not pay their star RB, those dime a dozen rbs... Moves like that will serve to  further shatter that fallacy, the CW, about the value of high level running backs.

Edited by Mister Defense

7 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Come on though, the facts are awfully clear now. I think this year will make you re-evaluate your analysis.

In fact, more than anything now, I want the Bills to  be true to their 'everyone eats" offensive philosophy--and start making both Davis and Johnson integral parts of the running (and passing) game.  This is the next step, the championship step to me. Think Allen is at his most dangerous now? Wait until the running game becomes a dominant, versatile one...

But yup, we definitely disagree! Watch the Giants game from last night if you have not.  They went with your conventional wisdom and would not pay their star RB, those dime a dozen rbs... Moves like that will serve to  further shatter that fallacy, the CW, about the value of high level running backs.

Jim Brown couldn’t run behind that line in NY against loaded boxes and defenses who have zero respect for the Giants garbage QB.

I’m not denying the running game is essential, I’m just saying you get more bang for your buck spending that money on a very good oline like the Bills have, now you can run the ball and ALSO protect your QB.

I’m all good running the ball like the Bills have been since the OC change, I just want to do it with young cheap RBs on rookie deals.