If you could get a day 2 pick for Cook would you pull the trigger…

julian

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't disagree with any of this...but I am leary of a big season putting him into a high price tag category, and that is what I am saying to just wait and see how he does against tougher tests other than 2 of the worst run defenses in the NFL before he becomes a must resign guy.  

Oh yeah, he deserves his flowers...but we also just played what will be two of the worst run defenses we will face this year.  So, just saying lets be patient and see the rest of the season before we paint him as a must resign player when his price tag could hit double digits if he does have a big season.

Fair enough.  I'm not sure any RB will ever be a must re-sign, but that is an issue for 2026

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not saying he isn't a good player, I am just talking about I think its premature to default to we must resign him off a game he dominated that was pretty clear was going to be a game where we should lean on the RB's coming in against a bad defense and front 7.  

If he has a big year, would you want to resign him if he was $10-12M per year?  That is still a lot of money for a RB

I get what you're saying.  My point is, for the reasonable fan, we're certainly basing the conversation of signing him on more than yesterday's game.

I have largely adopted the philosophy of not paying large amounts for the RB position.  However, I think there are exceptions and I believe Cook has entered the realm of considering it.

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Solid no! Isn't the idea of building a roster to build it with good to great players. Cook is very good and a dual threat as well. He has good vision. Something Singletary didn't seem to have. 

I just don't see the point of trading a known for an unknown when the one you got will help the team. 

I personally think that having Cook on the roster is worth considerably more than a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.  A draft pick is simply a lottery ticket; there's a chance you might be a big winner but it's more likely that you win a much smaller prize or nothing at all.  Is that potential win worth more than having the services of a player like Cook for this season and next, especially if he continues to play the way he's started this season?   Even if Davis proves to be a stud, he and Cook have different talents/skills, so that's another thing to consider.  Keeping both on rookie contracts seems a no-brainer to me.    The Bills need play makers NOW not the opportunity to maybe pick up a future one if they are serious about competing for a Lombardi.

If Cook develops into a CMC or Kamara type RB, then maybe the Bills should consider whether they offer him a second contract but it's better to let Cook walk at the end of his rookie deal than to give away a year or more of production on the sketchy promise of a Day 2 draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

There seemed to significant more sweat on faces of Mijami players than Bills especially their defense players.  It could be that because Bills tend to have smaller/leaner players they were less impacted but their defense players were not on field that long since Tua kept doing hiis Peterson imitation. 

If they need a QB with starting experience and good on blackboard Peterson is available.

Actually Miami had 13 more minutes in time of possession, ran 30 more plays...and had more  yards rushing and passing.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I get what you're saying.  My point is, for the reasonable fan, we're certainly basing the conversation of signing him on more than yesterday's game.

I have largely adopted the philosophy of not paying large amounts for the RB position.  However, I think there are exceptions and I believe Cook has entered the realm of considering it.

I get that, and I think elite RB's warrant that consideration...but do you think Cook is in that "elite" tier of RB's right now?  I guess for me, I think he is very good, but I am not ready to move him up a tier into that elite status off of 2 games against 2 of the weakest run defenses we will face this year.  I mean I caught flack last week for giving the RB's an A- last week...now this week people want to sign him at all costs.  Feels like a bit of an overreaction, especially in a game where we had the clear advantage on the ground and any RB on our team would have scored on 2 of his TD's.  

SCENARIO:  Let's say Ray Davis proves to be very good as many believe he can be and early returns are showing the promise of.  Do you pay Cook double digits a season or do you let Cook walk and elevate Davis on his rookie deal and draft another complimentary back in the mid rounds?  

To be clear, I have no agenda against him and I got nothing against Cook in general by any means, loved his game yesterday (and fully expected that game from him) and excited about his season.  I am just weary of investing big money into the RB position, every team who has done it generally has quickly regretted it.  And to be clear, I probably value the run game and RB position more than most here as I know its value and importance come post season.  But I also realize that investing in the OL and finding value in the drafts tends to be a more effective way to manage that than spending top dollar on a RB.  

But none the less...keep Cooking Cook!  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually Miami had 13 more minutes in time of possession, ran 30 more plays...and had more  yards rushing and passing.

Yep weird stat but explainable in that Buffalo kind of stopped trying in the 2nd half (6 passes and numerous punts) and the pick 6 took an offensive possession away.’it seemed from the first drive of the 2nd when we punted quickly, Josh wasn’t on the field for a long time after that 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Just after half time snd pick 6 buffalo was up 31- 10 and ahead by about 40 yards in drive yardage.

thr last 3 drives were 130-40 for Miami because buffalo played bend don’t break, let them dink and dink burning the clock

Edited by djp14150
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not surprising considering the short fields they keep giving us and the extra possession they got from the pick 6.

• Like (+1) 1

No to paying RBs and will always stand by that unless you are breaking in young QB on rookie deal. Franchise him for a year if necessary but I would let Cook walk. Good player but I rather continue with rb by committee approach and adding via draft.

Too early to consider trading him but as he gets closer to FA would be something I would consider if deal is good.

Edited by billieve420
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, and I think elite RB's warrant that consideration...but do you think Cook is in that "elite" tier of RB's right now?  I guess for me, I think he is very good, but I am not ready to move him up a tier into that elite status off of 2 games against 2 of the weakest run defenses we will face this year.  I mean I caught flack last week for giving the RB's an A- last week...now this week people want to sign him at all costs.  Feels like a bit of an overreaction, especially in a game where we had the clear advantage on the ground and any RB on our team would have scored on 2 of his TD's.  

SCENARIO:  Let's say Ray Davis proves to be very good as many believe he can be and early returns are showing the promise of.  Do you pay Cook double digits a season or do you let Cook walk and elevate Davis on his rookie deal and draft another complimentary back in the mid rounds?  

To be clear, I have no agenda against him and I got nothing against Cook in general by any means, loved his game yesterday (and fully expected that game from him) and excited about his season.  I am just weary of investing big money into the RB position, every team who has done it generally has quickly regretted it.  And to be clear, I probably value the run game and RB position more than most here as I know its value and importance come post season.  But I also realize that investing in the OL and finding value in the drafts tends to be a more effective way to manage that than spending top dollar on a RB.  

But none the less...keep Cooking Cook!  

At the end of the day that decision is a matter of durability, contribution to the passing attack, game breaking ability, and value of the overall contract. RBs have deflated market value in general due to over saturation, but there’s extreme value in particular weapons that can stress a defense in multiple ways. Just depends on how much you have to pay for them. I said this upthread, but paying Cook CMC money is something I wouldn’t do, but paying him Aaron Jones money is something I can see Beane considering in this current offense. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Thing i love most about Cook is he is an extremely underrated short yardage back. He has a knack of picking up the tough 1-2 yards.

Agree. I hated taking him off the field last year to bring old man Murray on to chug straight into the pile. 

Cook is slippery. So long as the blockers give him a chance he will find a way to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 4

If we did a redraft, would we still have gotten Cook in the 2nd round?  Assuming he would still be available I think the answer is a definite yes. If that’s true, why trade for a 2nd round pick.  

i think Cook has met expectations for a 2nd rounder and has been good as advertised this season.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, White Linen said:

Agree.

I wouldn't trade him away.  But I've said previously that I'd let Cook walk after his rookie contract.  Since Allen's arrival, this has  been an Allen-centric offense.  My view was that you can't pay everyone so let's economize at the RB position while building a good OL and receiving corps.

But watching Brady's offense, and Cook's key role in it, I'm starting to entertain second thoughts.  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The “hate” Cook gets on this board has always been extremely stupid.

Good news is because the guy who was 6th in total yards in the entire NFL! Was so underrated I got him as my second rb in almost every fantasy league. 

I have him in 2 of my 4. He went later than he should because of touchdown production. Only 6 all last year. 3 so far this. He is gonna have similar yardage to last year if he stays healthy but he is gonna score more.