If you could get a day 2 pick for Cook would you pull the trigger…

julian

23 minutes ago, QCity said:

The contract situation will likely become live after this season. It's naïve to think Cook will quietly play out his contract and then patiently wait for a new one. History has shown that RB's holdout 1-2 years before their contract expires in order to force the team's hand (yet another reason not to draft RBs in the 1st round). I don't think the majority of Bills fans are familiar with this since we haven't had a young RB put up stats in the past decade.

I'm certainly not saying to get rid of him because of this, but it is a factor that GM's weigh.

I agree. And after this season I don't think the idea of trading him for a day 2 pick is ridiculous at all. It is just that as of now I am asking is a second or third round pick worth more than two years of cheap production from someone who is a proven good all purpose RB1 . That answer is no. Once the maximum balance on the other side is one more year of cheap production the balance starts to tilt. Draft picks are there to get good players. Good players are not there to get draft picks. You always have to remember it is that way around. Even as someone like me that loves the draft and would love the Bills to have 10/12 picks every year.

RB's get banged up a lot, you 100% need both.   Their skill sets are very different and that is a good thing.  If I had to pick one I would pick Davis probably but I am assuming what he will be in regular season.   Cook has an ability to see a crease and be 8 yards downfield in a flash, Davis will never be that.  What Cook is good at Cook is great at but he is equally bad at short yardage, block and catching.  Davis is more well rounded but not as dynamic a player.

But you should listen to offers.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

why do people want to trade every decent player we have as a draft pic idea.

I don’t want to trade anybody, was just a question to see where people stood on the rb position if a unlikely trade scenario were to become available.

I didn’t email Bean with my demand to put Cook on a train lol.

On 8/19/2024 at 9:58 AM, Billl said:

The biggest reason he was so high on the list for RBs is that very few teams give their backs that many touches anymore.

Lol,  Cook was 10th in rushing attempts and 19th in pass targets.  Not exactly over-usage as your comment implies.  The reason he was high on the RBs list was because he had the 4th best average per rush of the 1000 yard rushers and his 10.1 yards per catch was the best, by a yard or more, of the top 25 targeted running backs.  The reason he was so high on the RBs list because he was extremely effective.   FYI: He was also 3rd in NFL RBs in success% on rushing attempts at 55.7% and he was the top RB in Success % at 59.3%.  

Success% is basically a stat to show how effective a player is, aka is he moving the sticks.  The player (RB/WR/TE) needs to get 40% of the yardage needed to move the chains on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down and 100% on 3rd or 4th down for the play to considered a success. 

By comparison McCaffrey’s success % on rushing attempts was 54% and on pass catches was 55.4%.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

That's awfully close for me. I just think with the unproven WR's, it's good to have 2 high end RB's. Plus Davis isn't proven yet either. But if somehow a team would offer you a 2nd and a 4th for Cook, I'd probably have to take that deal. 

Some rumblings out of Washington about Jahan Dotson.. what if we could move Cook for a guy like Dotson straight up?

I know we're 99% not moving Cook, but that's the type of trade I'd listen to.

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

Oh, good gravy! Stop it! Whatever it is you are thinking, conjuring, or playing as your own little fantasy GM, Just stop.

Go back to your Dungeons and Dweebs quest.

You may not like OP’s questions (and I personally find it irrelevant because it wouldn’t happen) but this type of vitriolic response post suck much worse.

Why would you insult someone just because their idea is different than your own? What is the point? You could have simply skipped the thread, or answered with a “no thanks”.

ezgif-4-b931420b8c.gif

48 minutes ago, julian said:

I don’t want to trade anybody, was just a question to see where people stood on the rb position if a unlikely trade scenario were to become available.

I didn’t email Bean with my demand to put Cook on a train lol.

FWIW, I think your question was just fine. Interesting even.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

100 percent 

RBs are the easiest position to fill.

2 more years and I would let Cook walk anyways as I'm not a believer in paying RBs 2nd contracts unless you're CMC

RBs are an easy position to fill.  Heck, if the Bills want an RB, they can just call me.  At 65, I may not offer much, but I'm reasonably fit for my age and will learn the playbook.  

For every position, even RB, there's a bell-curve of talent.  If you want to win the SB, it's best to have players at the upper end of the bell curve.  RBs may be a dime-a-dozen but good RBs are not.  Cook isn't OJ or Thurman but he's better than average.  He's also on a cheap rookie contract at 1.6M/year.  

Why trade away a player who's both cheap & good for a roll of the dice (i.e. the draft)?  

In two years, Davis will take over as the #1 RB and we'll draft Cook's replacement.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Why does everyone hate Jimmy Cook? He's a top 5 RB. 

Who cares if he's stoned all the time, drops passes, and rarely shows emotion. 

Hes getting the Aaron Schobel treatment - good player who gets irrationally hate because he’s not the best player at his position in the nfl. 

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Some rumblings out of Washington about Jahan Dotson.. what if we could move Cook for a guy like Dotson straight up?

I know we're 99% not moving Cook, but that's the type of trade I'd listen to.

And when it turns out that Davis isn’t good enough to go against nfl defenses full time (Tony Pollard in Dallas last year), we will hate that we traded a good rb for a guy who is struggling to play in Washington. 

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Amazing how a guy who was 4th in the NFL in rushing, 6th in total yards from scrimmage who has averaged almost 5 YPC over his career and over 10 YPR and who basically did this in a role somewhere between full time and part time is viewed as trash by so many people.

WTF are you actually watching to come up with this?

The unintelligence on this board is stunning to me at times.

Uh, yeah, no. Another "I'm the winningest Madden GM of all time!!" Post that somehow conflates Madden with real-life.

Yikes!  While I agree that we shouldn't trade Cook, I find the commentary here is unneccessarily unkind.  

And I'll add this about Cooks' stats.  He's a good back.  But he also shares the backfield with Josh Allen. 

I think defenses see Josh as the alpha and omega of our offense.  He's got a cannon arm, tremendous escapability, and is a fearsome running threat.  I think they play a lot of two-high to frustrate Josh's and his desire to air it out.  And I think they often have a containment plan for Josh and/or a spy.  I don't think teams scheme much to stop Cook, and his stats benefit from him being an after-thought.