Starting WRs?

I guess Curtis Samuel sat out the last game, so that's why we got a lot of Keon, Hollins and Shakir 3 WR looks.

But in 12 personnel and in normal 3 WR sets, who do we expect to be out there?

12 - Kincaid, Knox, Samuel and ... Shakir?

3 WRs - Does Hollins start with Samuel and Shakir?  or is Keon in their with Hollins with only one of the slot guys at a time?

I can't say I've seen a lot of Samuel and Shakir on the field at the same time but they seem to be our best WRs, by far. Has Samuel been playing Z?

I still find it hard to believe that Hollins is leading the competition for the X role, even if Keon will eventually replace him.

I have no flippin clue.  I just miss the good old days where we just had Diggs, Brown, and Beasley in their defined 11 personnel roles with Davis rotating in and out.  So much simpler.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 - Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, and a mix of Samuel/Shakir 

12 wrinkle - line up Samuel in the backfield and go Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, and Hollins. Then motion Samuel out. If they catch them in man coverage it's a TD

12 wrinkle 2 - Kincaid, Knox, Samuel, and MVS. Cook or Davis in the backfield. This set will be lethal. They can run WR deep and the TEs will be open underneath. If they play man you have some guys that can win some 1:1 deep shots. And last you have multiple screen options out of this group

3 WR - any combo plus Shakir. Shakir is going to be amazing out of the 3 WR set. He can play the Brown or Beasley role interchangeably.  He has enough quickness and enough speed to go short, middle, or deep. He will be the 3rd down chain mover.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

12 - Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, and a mix of Samuel/Shakir 

12 wrinkle - line up Samuel in the backfield and go Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, and Hollins. Then motion Samuel out. If they catch them in man coverage it's a TD

12 wrinkle 2 - Kincaid, Knox, Samuel, and MVS. Cook and Davis in split formation. This set will be lethal. They can run WR deep and the TEs will be open underneath. If they play man you have some guys that can win some 1:1 deep shots. And last you have multiple screen options out of this group

3 WR - any combo plus Shakir. Shakir is going to be amazing out of the 3 WR set. He can play the Brown or Beasley role interchangeably.  He has enough quickness and enough speed to go short, middle, or deep. He will be the 3rd down chain mover.

I’m praying we are clever enough to find ways to mix and match and move these pieces to get guys open. Find the mismatches. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure MVS makes the squad at this point. Claypool is gone. Coleman looks lost/ineffective.

So far Hollins is the only signing besides Samuel that is making a decent contribution. And that's not exactly comforting.

Dare we look at the trade market a little more in earnest??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I have no flippin clue.  I just miss the good old days where we just had Diggs, Brown, and Beasley in their defined 11 personnel roles with Davis rotating in and out.  So much simpler.

I miss Reed & Lofton.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I guess Curtis Samuel sat out the last game, so that's why we got a lot of Keon, Hollins and Shakir 3 WR looks.

3 WRs - Does Hollins start with Samuel and Shakir?  or is Keon in their with Hollins with only one of the slot guys at a time?

I can't say I've seen a lot of Samuel and Shakir on the field at the same time but they seem to be our best WRs, by far. Has Samuel been playing Z?

I still find it hard to believe that Hollins is leading the competition for the X role, even if Keon will eventually replace him.

Samuel, Shakir, Coleman are the top 3. Hollins, is #4. Last two spots up for grabs.  I personally say settle it Hunger Games style, but that is frowned upon for some stupid reason. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I miss Lewis & Butler

Bob...just go eat your tapioca and leave this to us mid 50 year olds ok?

😁

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I'm not sure MVS makes the squad at this point. Claypool is gone. Coleman looks lost/ineffective.

So far Hollins is the only signing besides Samuel that is making a decent contribution. And that's not exactly comforting.

It’s almost like we shouldn’t depend on veteran jags for our boy Josh to throw to. Hopefully next year we hammer the WR position in the draft a little harder instead of rotational d linemen early and often 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Lol....I'm the definition of mid-50's.

I was actually setting it up for someone to reminisce about Haven Moses and Elbert Dubenion next...

I'll go forward in time a little and mention Moulds and Peerless Price.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

You aren't going to have Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid split out alone. You can do that in 4 WR sets, but I don't think you'll see it alone. If you do, it won't be a regular thing.

Samuel is a Tweener that you can split Out on the perimeter half the time. Shakir and Kincaid are pure slots from the WR position.

So you're pretty much always going to have at least one of Coleman and Hollins on the Outside. As to whom has the upper leg as the first Outside guy between the two, I assume it's Coleman. But it may be a 50/50 split to start the year.

In standard two WR's on the Outside sets, it'll be One of Coleman and Hollins with Samuel on the other side half the time. The other half it'll be Coleman and Hollins with Samuel on the Inside or out of the Backfield.

Nothing about his prior usage or what Beane has said about Samuel suggests he'll be used on the Outside more than 50% of the time. And that's the problem with our current room. Our top 3 known commodities are all best served working out of the Slot. But you can't have more than 2 people working out of the slot at once and even putting 2 on requires 4 WR sets, which you aren't going to regularly run. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

39 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I know you’re trolling so I hate that I’m giving in, but what in the actual hell are you talking about?

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You aren't going to have Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid split out alone. You can do that in 4 WR sets, but I don't think you'll see it alone.

Samuel is a Tweener that you can split Out half the time. Shakir and Kincaid are pure slots from the WR position.

So you're pretty much always going to have one of Coleman and Hollins on the Outside. As to whom has the upper leg as the first Outside guy, I assume it's Coleman. But it may be a 50/50 split to start the year.

Probably correct, but it certainly doesn’t inspire much confidence.