Trey Lance

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have heard exactly nothing regarding Tannehill. This isn’t madden, if he doesn’t want to play…

Here's what he said on a podcast in late July.  Odds are we're not his ideal landing place.

"Right now, I think it's going to depend on situation," Tannehill said. "At this point, I've been blessed to play 12 years and be where I'm at, so I'm not just going to continue to add years to add years. I want to be in a situation that I feel really good about. I'm not ruling anything out, but it's going to have to be the right situation for me and my family."

"Nothing really felt right through free agency," Tannehill added. "And through that, I had a lot of peace with it, that nothing outstanding jumped up and I just said, hey, I'll take a step back and if something comes up down the road, whether that's training camp — maybe a guy goes down on a team and gives me a call, you never know what's going to happen."

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the Bills bringing in backups that help Josh, but those are quasi coaches and we need backups that can functionally contribute to winning when they are on the field.  So in that regard I’ve never understood why the Bills don’t have a backup QB that has attributes that match Allen’s in some areas, especially mobility.  The running threat from the QB position is what can keep the Bills dangerous even if Josh were to miss time.  But when you see these backups the Bills offense is a totally different animal with limited athleticism and much smaller stature, and I’ve never understood that philosophy.  I know that there aren’t a ton of options, but it was why Milton was an interesting prospect in this past draft to groom as a capable backup with similar traits. I get why people mention Tannehill bc he fits that mold.  I’d even have been happy for Tyrod to come back, due to his ability to make plays in the run game, decent pocket presence and he protects the football.  I know he’s a Jet.  Zappe, Heinecke or Huntley may become available and all would be better than what we have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Why the Bills haven’t brought in Tannehill for at least a work out is negligent. He is clearly better than any other QB option at this point. 

nah, Beane's perhaps just waiting for the big cutdown to occur next week.  there will be QBs all over the place available

13 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If we bring in a QB is should be a PROVEN backup, not someone who has never experienced any success in the NFL.

What would be negligent is if Beane has not spoken with his agent and asked:

1) How much does Ryan want?

2) What sort of role is he interested in?

I'm pretty sure that conversation has taken place. I'm pretty sure Beane can't put a gun to Tannehill's head and force him to come in for a... tryout.

Thank you for a good post that adds value.

I'll give you that he has a higher ceiling than Trubisky. Saying he would be a major upgrade is pure speculation.

There's no real basis for this claim, is there?

It's not black and white.

The grey is if Josh misses 4 games and what the teams record is after those 4 games and what impact that has in the standings and playoff seeding.

0-4.

After you watch this video by O'Sullivan, you will never again have that opinion

Trey Lance Preseason Week 1 2024 Analysis

15 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Dallas gave up a for Lance....he is THE hedge against DAK negotiations going south.  They aren't trading their only leverage for a 4th.  It would need to be something much more substantial..if they'd even move him.  He very well may be the Cowboys starter next year.

You guys won't like the idea, but maybe give the Giants a call and see if Drew Lock might be had cheap.  They are going to force Danile Jones out there and they have DeVito who is a popular guy in that area.  Lock is expendable, and for a team that is going to be rebuilding next year and needing to draft a QB..they will be receptive to aquiring some picks.

FTFY. Dallas traded a 4th for Lance. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Allen goes down, they will sign Tanny or another guy for the rest of the year.  Mitch is on the roster, and will be here most likely for the entirety of the year.  

Backup QB is an area you dont worry about until that problem is in your face.  Allen has shown to be incredibly durable, and you need to bank on that.  If he goes down, then you evaluate and make a decision, because Mitch/Tanny aren't bringing this team to the playoffs no matter what.

If trubisky goes on IR, there will be available players to grab.  I'm not using picks this late in the offseason to secure "my guy", because "my guy" is a backup QB and the available ones are all as bad as the guys below.  Hell Lance might be available for free at this point.  

Heinicke should be available.  

Keenum should be available.

Kyle Allen should be available.  

Ridder should be available.  

PJ Walker should be available.  

Zach Wilson or Stidham should be available.  

CJ Beathard should be available.  

None are "good" options.  Trubisky hasn't been very good for us or anyone else in the last few years either though.  If allen is out for a long stretch of time, the offense is going to be pretty lousy regardless of who they put out there.  The goal is more, if he's out for a half, or a few drives - the guy i put in should be able to keep it afloat while he gets treatment.  

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh Allen is the Alpha and the Omega of this organization.  The one irreplaceable man in the building.  He goes out for a few games---it's over, no matter who is behind him.

21 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It's not black and white.

The grey is if Josh misses 4 games and what the team's record is after those 4 games and what impact that has in the standings and playoff seeding.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

0-4.

So doesn't your lack of faith in Trubisky justify the opinion that the Bills need to upgrade that position?

In the scenario of a short term injury to Josh, isn't it important to try to keep the season afloat with a better backup?

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

So doesn't your lack of faith in Trubisky justify the opinion that the Bills need to upgrade that position?

In the scenario of a short term injury to Josh, isn't it important to try to keep the season afloat with a better backup?

maybe you misunderstood.  They would go 0-4 without Allen.  that’s it

17 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If trubisky goes on IR, there will be available players to grab.  I'm not using picks this late in the offseason to secure "my guy", because "my guy" is a backup QB and the available ones are all as bad as the guys below.  Hell Lance might be available for free at this point.  

Heinicke should be available.  

Keenum should be available.

Kyle Allen should be available.  

Ridder should be available.  

PJ Walker should be available.  

Zach Wilson or Stidham should be available.  

CJ Beathard should be available.  

None are "good" options.  Trubisky hasn't been very good for us or anyone else in the last few years either though.  If allen is out for a long stretch of time, the offense is going to be pretty lousy regardless of who they put out there.  The goal is more, if he's out for a half, or a few drives - the guy i put in should be able to keep it afloat while he gets treatment.  

I was thinking Kyle Allen, but the Steelers always keep 3 

On 8/18/2024 at 3:38 PM, Breakout Squad said:

Why the Bills haven’t brought in Tannehill for at least a work out is negligent. He is clearly better than any other QB option at this point. 

There's a fair amount of speculation that he wouldn't want to come in and is waiting to sign in the hopes that if a qb becomes injured a starting job could open up.

11 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

There's a fair amount of speculation that he wouldn't want to come in and is waiting to sign in the hopes that if a qb becomes injured a starting job could open up.

I think the most important thing there as with any veteran of any worth at this time of the year, teams want to sign them on the tuesday after week 1 so the contract is not fully guaranteed.

On 8/19/2024 at 12:30 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Dallas gave up a 3 for Lance....he is THE hedge against DAK negotiations going south.  They aren't trading their only leverage for a 4th.  It would need to be something much more substantial..if they'd even move him.  He very well may be the Cowboys starter next year.

You guys won't like the idea, but maybe give the Giants a call and see if Drew Lock might be had cheap.  They are going to force Danile Jones out there and they have DeVito who is a popular guy in that area.  Lock is expendable, and for a team that is going to be rebuilding next year and needing to draft a QB..they will be receptive to aquiring some picks.

Lock is the same as Trubisky