Trey Lance

I don’t get why qbs like Lance don’t get to play is the USFL or whatever it is called now. Dude might not be good but he has almost no game reps. No qb would develop will give the lack of playing time he has. That would also make the USFL so much more interesting if you had high draft pick current nfl qbs playing it. It would also help the nfl because there are so many garbage qbs that never develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2024 at 4:18 PM, UKBillFan said:

Addition to what is said above, I sense Lance may believe the Cowboys starting position may come up if Prescott has another meltdown. Josh's position in far more secure in Buffalo, so he'll be definite back up.

Trey Lance a Lock to Make Cowboys’ Roster

Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner, was asked about the depth chart and the tough decisions for cuts that need to be made.

Owners, managers, and coaches of the Cowboys have confirmed that they like making it a competitive market. Having players step up because other talent has been added to their room only makes for a better final selection

Not looking good: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/trey-lance-cinco-interceptions-top-10-cowboys-chargers-observations/ar-AA1pnnFA

1. TREY TALK - After almost three full preseason games, it's clear that Lance ain't "it." Definitely not the Cowboys' No. 2 quarterback of the present, nor the No. 1 quarterback of their future.

Time and again this preseason - and again Saturday - Lance just wasn't accurate with his passes or savvy with his reads. He missed wide-open receivers with overthrows. He put the ball on the back hip of receivers running crossing routes, forcing them to significantly throttle down. And he complicated matters with poor decisions, throwing two interceptions with late deliveries to dangerous locations - including one pick in the end zone in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter he threw a Pick 6 to a linebacker he appeared to have never seen.

To be fair, he also lofted a nice fade route for a score and another perfect pass dropped in the end zone by receiver Deontay Burnett. But it was far more woe than whoa!

He accounted for 413 total yards of offense, but also what has to be a franchise-record for interceptions in a preseason game with one-two-three-four-FIVE.

His signature play: a 46-yard touchdown sprint on a run-pass-option in which he didn't have to make a move and was never touched down the sideline.

The Cowboys - especially Jerry - would have loved Lance to win the backup job from Cooper Rush. But it wasn't even close. In three games he went 77 of 113 (68 percent) for 662 yards, two touchdowns, five interceptions, six sacks and 170 yards rushing.

Harsh truth: At this point in his development, Lance is a much better NFL running back than he is an NFL quarterback. Him in the shotgun is like the Wildcat, but not by design.

Can the Cowboys draw up a specific package of plays to cater to Lance's elite athleticism? He can't be trusted with Red Zone passes, but his legs are a unique asset. He's Taysom Hill, with more wiggle and less physicality.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Josh Allen is, IMO, a big reason why Lance was drafted so high. 

When Lance was drafted I thought he would become a faster version of Allen inside the SF offense. I am shocked that with the offensive acumen of Shanahan he would draft a guy he could not develop but Lance has proven me wrong.

2 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

When Lance was drafted I thought he would become a faster version of Allen inside the SF offense. I am shocked that with the offensive acumen of Shanahan he would draft a guy he could not develop but Lance has proven me wrong.

He became a faster version of Josh Rosen.  😄

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lance flashes talent like his TD run or the ball he threw to the corner of the endzone. Lances problems seem to be mechanical as he stares down one receiver and he trusts his arm too much. 
He’s the type that really needs a Jordan Palmer type to take him under his wing and work on his mechanics.

Dallas’s QB Coach is Scott Tolzen not exactly like having Andy Reid or Sean Mcvay tutor you. 

On 8/21/2024 at 9:02 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t get why qbs like Lance don’t get to play is the USFL or whatever it is called now. Dude might not be good but he has almost no game reps. No qb would develop will give the lack of playing time he has. That would also make the USFL so much more interesting if you had high draft pick current nfl qbs playing it. It would also help the nfl because there are so many garbage qbs that never develop. 

They absolutely could, but the money as a #3 is likely much better than a starter in the USFL.

On 8/21/2024 at 9:02 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

doesn't get to play?  he would never want to play in that league.  he's getting 5 million this year--you think he would turn that down to make a few bucks a game in the D league?

If this guy was drafted in the 6th round no one would know who he is.  He would be just like all the other qb's playing in the third preseason game.  

Dallas is stuck with him this year because his money is guaranteed.  Seems like they are going to have to keep rush on the roster also and not risk him.