Would some No Huddle Offense Help?

Wizard

I wonder if some no huddle offensive play calling/scheming would be good for this version of Buffalo's offense.

I think doing so would help Allen get in a rhythm and help get everyone involved, especially with all the new WR's. I would love you see the Bills push the ball down the field on short to intermediate routes and keep the defense guessing a bit with Cook, Davis, Kincaid, and Knox offering variations of the offense.

Most importantly, in order to keep Allen Healthy, a no-huddle approach in parts of the game helps the offensive line which has struggled to get the running game going and in getting points on the board.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 2

The thing is, nobody has any idea what this offense will look like.  

So what are we referencing when we say “would it help”?

Im not opposed.. I just have no frame of reference to compare it to yet. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Sure it would, if done correctly…, 

Why is this always the thing every single year. If we were really that good we wouldn’t need gimmicks for the offense. The trust is, Allen is the only good player on this team. He can’t do it all. Get him weapons for F sake

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think McDermott is too worried about what effect it might have on his precious defense to do it for more than a few series.

It's always what's best for the defence, and no huddle would hurt them & not something McD would sign off on.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

First of all, I want to say I am as big of a fan as anyone of the old K-Gun no huddle offense.  However, there are a couple of factors at play here.

First and foremost, we have no idea what this offense is truly going to look like.  For all intents and purposes, Allen hasn't played with the starters this preseason outside of a couple series and you can't learn anything from that.  On top of that, they are not running their offense.  They probably have 15-20 plays that they are running out there and none of them offer any sort of inclination of our philosophy on offense this season.  We are basically running a high school offense right now as are most teams in the preseason.  So, until we actually see what this offense is going to be, we have no idea if it needs help or not.

Secondly, as much as I love me some no huddle up tempo offense, the days of running that for extended periods of time I think are pretty much over.  Defenses are just too fast and too good these days.  Also, all of these players today are pretty much elite athletes and take care of their bodies to such an extent that keeping up with offenses isn't as hard as it used to be for these guys.  Back in the day, you wanted to use the no huddle to wear guys down and tire them out so they had nothing left com the 4th quarter.  That isn't a thing anymore.  So, I think if any team wants to try and run it as their base offense in today's game is going to be in trouble.

That said, there are absolutely times to use it and it could be very effective.  Use it as a one-off on a series in a game......  Catch a team off guard and try to take advantage of some confusion that may result because of it.  You can use it to try to keep a personnel mismatch on the field.  For example, if you have Kincaid absolutely abusing a LB down after down, get to the line and don't let them substitute that LB for another safety or CB.  If you find yourself absolutely mauling a defensive line in the run game, absolutely get to the line to make sure they can't substitute.  I am also a fan of not necessarily running a true no huddle, but just getting to the line quickly as to have more of an opportunity for Allen and Brady in this case to look at the defense and try and decipher what they are in.  Brady can talk to Allen until like 25 seconds left in the play clock, so if you can have 5-10 seconds where Brady can talk to Allen and let him know what he is seeing up in the box, that could help too.

So yeah.....all that said, don't panic yet.  Let's see what our offense looks like before worrying.  By all accounts, we are using a ton of motion and eye candy with guys lining up in so many different positions in practice that it is hard to keep up with sometimes.  We have seen none of that so far in the preseason and I'm sure we won't.  We all want this offense to be great, but worrying about how bad it is looking in preseason, especially with Allen not really playing, is not what anyone should be doing.  But yes......during the season, we can absolutely use it in spots.  It still has a purpose and can help at any point we decide to use it.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, mrags said:

Why is this always the thing every single year. If we were really that good we wouldn’t need gimmicks for the offense. The trust is, Allen is the only good player on this team. He can’t do it all. Get him weapons for F sake

Our 90’s no huddle was an offensive identity, not a gimmick imho. Prolific is the word that best describes it! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember going to one of Trent Edward's seasons (pretty sure it was him) and the talk was how they were going to run the no huddle with Van Pelt as coordinator (again, I may be misremembering this). But I do remember being very excited (young and stupid) 

Those were dark days indeed

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Our 90’s no huddle was an offensive identity, not a gimmick imho. Prolific is the word that best describes it! 

It also had 4 Hall of Fame skill players in Kelly, Lofton, Reed, and Thomas. 

naw, why worry about talent when you could just run a no huddle and fix everything. 

🤦‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Sure it would, if done correctly…, 

In order to run no huddle offense needs to be in sync and so far they do not appear to be.

29 minutes ago, Malazan said:

the preseason needs to go away for the mental health of the fans

So you are saying they should charge networks and season ticket owners but not show games?

The year without a preseason there were numerous issues - players and zebras.