Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 2

GunnerBill

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Terrible pass. Could have been caught but still God awful pass. Just hitting the hands is not enough if the ball is wobbling Iike a dead duck.

That said, so far Coleman has done little to assuage our worries that he is not a gamebreaker and not much more than a possession WR. If that is all he ends up really poor job by Beane to upgrade the WR group. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Coleman can be a great receiver one day but it may take 2-3 years.

He's a rookie and he's going to make some great plays and some real head scratching mistakes.

That's to be expected because he's a rookie.

If Bills fans expect him to be some kind of game breaker his rookie season then you all are going to be disappointed. 

Let's give the rook a chance to develop 

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He a rookie and he's going to make some great plays and some real head scratching mistakes.

If Bills fans expect him to be some kind of game breaker his rookie season then you all are going to be disappointed. 

Don't disagree with what you posted.

I just disagree with the approach. We should be win now at all costs.  Not waiting for a WR to develop. 

Again if the idea is spread the ball around and attack with multiple guys it can work.  Josh and Brady just need to execute that type of offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Don't disagree with what you posted.

I just disagree with the approach. We should be win now at all costs.  Not waiting for a WR to develop. 

Again if the idea is spread the ball around and attack with multiple guys it can work.  Josh and Brady just need to execute that type of offense. 

Be careful. We were win now at all costs signing Von Miller. It’s great if it works (and it just may have had he not been injured), but it comes with risk. How many big swings do you want? Too many can sink the ship. 

Nobody is perfect, but I generally like Beane and McD. There! I said it!   😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He's a rookie and he's going to make some great plays and some real head scratching mistakes.

This is all well and good but when you have guys like Nabers, MHJ and Odunze making immediate impact you have to wonder if maybe we should’ve traded up for a WR1 or at least went after more WRs in the draft to see if one of them could make the first year impact that so many WRs do (puka 2023, Pickens 2022, St Brown 2021). 

I think Coleman will have a role and be impactful this year but would be nice to have a few more options for our once in a lifetime QB who isn’t getting any younger 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

This is all well and good but when you have guys like Nabers, MHJ and Odunze making immediate impact you have to wonder if maybe we should’ve traded up for a WR1 or at least went after more WRs in the draft to see if one of them could make the first year impact that so many WRs do (puka 2023, Pickens 2022, St Brown 2021). 

I think Coleman will have a role and be impactful this year but would be nice to have a few more options for our once in a lifetime QB who isn’t getting any younger 

Nobody was going to give up a pick high enough for the Bills to land one of the big 3.  If someone picked 28th or later winds up being a stud, that’s when there will be some noise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I didn’t know the regular season has started and any of the above mentioned have done anything. I should go look at their stats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Be careful. We were win now at all costs signing Von Miller. It’s great if it works (and it just may have had he not been injured), but it comes with risk. How many big swings do you want? Too many can sink the ship. 

Nobody is perfect, but I generally like Beane and McD. There! I said it!   😂 

Beane knew he was going to have cap space in 2025. 

This was the draft to give up next years #1  and go up and get a star WR. 

I hated the Diggs move but that #2 from Houston via Minnesota plus there own #2 will be good enough to reload at edge and CB next year. 

This was the year to go get your Jefferson type WR. 

I've been consistent. I don't care about consistently winning. Losing at home in the playoffs is just as bad as not making it. They blew their best shot with 13 seconds and wasted Josh's rookie contract. I watched four SuperBowl runs already. Only care about a Championship now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

La Porta is a FAR more complete TE that out produced Kincaid all year, so how is he NOT better?  Oh and was taken well later. 

Rousseau was a solid pick, shouldn’t have been drafting DE when the position was dried up, Barramore was there for the taking, but you can have this one.

You answered your own question for Edmunds.

Tre wasn’t his pick, so it doesn’t matter now does it?

And yet again, you claim Beane to be a Wizard, but misses guys that went later.. 

So it appears you just don’t like my opinion, because facts ruin your story.

1-  they played one season-  and you’re acting like it’s a closed case-  Laporta is better because he out produced him in their rookie seasons……. Wake up.  One season doesn’t make him a better player.  If Laporta had been drafted to the bills (who had Dawson Knox) and Kincaid to the lions (who had no one) the stats would be very close to reversed.

Rousseau was the best pick for this team over Barmore.  We had just drafted Ed 2 years prior.  We came off a game where we couldn’t get any pressure on Mahomes with Hughes and addison and needed an EDGE rusher in a bad way.  You’re wrong. 

tremaine is better than vander esche and evans.  Again, he was the best pick for the position.

i brought up Tre because your the guy that brought him up….. 

every GM misses guys that went later…. Every single one.  Such a bad take upon bad take.

it appears that your opinion sucks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

None of them are going to be besides the top 3. I have said if you get 50 catches and 700 yards out of any WR drafted at the end of round 1 consider that a win for a rookie

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Beane knew he was going to have cap space in 2025. 

This was the draft to give up next years #1  and go up and get a star WR. 

I hated the Diggs move but that #2 from Houston via Minnesota plus there own #2 will be good enough to reload at edge and CB next year. 

This was the year to go get your Jefferson type WR. 

I've been consistent. I don't care about consistently winning. Losing at home in the playoffs is just as bad as not making it. They blew their best shot with 13 seconds and wasted Josh's rookie contract. I watched four SuperBowl runs already. Only care about a Championship now.

Being desperate was never really my thing. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DrW said:

If I am not mistaken, the only players Beane picked 21-30 are Rousseau, Elam, and Kincaid. 33% of that is one. Don't you think you should give them (especially Rousseau and Kincaid) a bit more time?

Rousseau is going to be asking for $20M a year…. this year. 

5 hours ago, Roundybout said:

This seems like extreme manipulation of statistics. 

It’s really just the only data I can find.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Again, with the bust rate being high, we have 5 out of his last 6 First Round picks are starters.

The Pro Bowl isn’t a strong argument.  Did you know Jordan Poyer didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 2021 but was a 1st Team All Pro. Its like you’re really saying if you haven’t been named to a Pro Bowl, you can’t be above average.

I didn’t set the Probowl argument. I agree it’s not the best benchmark.

Just FYI, based on that graph, two first round picks have hit, and one of them is Josh.

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

33% of players picked 21-30 make a ProBowl once.

Beane is 0fer. 

Thanks for playing.

How about 18-30, we have a two time pro bowlers there, we traded a 25 for Diggs which is two more. That being said if we stick with your cherry picking, then Oliver, Rousseau, Elam and Kincaid are only picks there and Groot and Kincaid likely will make pro bowls, so we will have to wait and see. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

How about 18-30, we have a two time pro bowlers there, we traded a 25 for Diggs which is two more. That being said if we stick with your cherry picking, then Oliver, Rousseau, Elam and Kincaid are only picks there and Groot and Kincaid likely will make pro bowls, so we will have to wait and see. 

The stat was for 20-30. It was the best I could find.

i don’t know if 18-30 makes a difference, because it was a stat about drafted players and neither of the two players you mentioned were drafted there.

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The stat was for 20-30. It was the best I could find.

i don’t know if 18-30 makes a difference, because it was a stat about drafted players and neither of the two players you mentioned were drafted there.

Your entire point is that the guy has put together the roster that has a higher win % than every other franchise in all 4 American sports besides the Chiefs who have one of the all time great coaches and QBs and nitpicking it to pretend he is not clearly top 5 at his job. I think you would prefer a bunch of pro bowls and and 8-9 record. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Your entire point is that the guy has put together the roster that has a higher win % than every other franchise in all 4 American sports besides the Chiefs who have one of the all time great coaches and QBs and nitpicking it to pretend he is not clearly top 5 at his job. I think you would prefer a bunch of pro bowls and and 8-9 record. 

Imagine if the Bills and the Chiefs had the best and the second best records in football because they had the top 2 QB’s in football. 

That stat says more about Josh than Beane, imo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Rousseau is going to be asking for $20M a year…. this year. 

What does this have to do with Beane's ability to draft, which was the topic here?

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imagine if the Bills and the Chiefs had the best and the second best records in football because they had the top 2 QB’s in football. 

That stat says more about Josh than Beane, imo.

But Beane also drafted Josh which is a big credit to him.

Beane definitely has faults.

Overall he's a good Gm, but If you wanna argue that this team doesn't have enough elite talent besides Josh, then that's definitely fair 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, DrW said:

What does this have to do with Beane's ability to draft, which was the topic here?

Rousseau being given more time, even though decisions have to be made about his long term future with the Bills like… now?

On 8/18/2024 at 7:37 AM, MikePJ76 said:

everything about the throw was bad.

it was high and it was away.  The two critical points of throwing a slant, never be high and never lead your wr into danger.

That throw was a classic medicine ball.  It should have been right on him between the numbers where he can get his hands on it and protect himself or down low where only he can catch it.

You never throw a slant high, and you 100% do not throw it where the WR has to completely extend his arms and put him in danger.

I am going to keep repeating this today, Bill Walsh's rule, SIX INCHES in front of the numbers.

They say Coleman has a high football IQ, and that pass had getting lit up in preseason written all over it.

*** Listened to Marino today and agree it was a catchable ball the kid alligator-armed. Other than that, it is a lot of spin on the value of preseason and how hard players play for their roster spot. Perhaps those taken early do feel they have a leg up on the roster while those on the bubble will take more chances in preseason and is that wrong?

Good question for the coaching staff.

I agree that Allen would have tried to put a bit more heat on it, and put it where the kid would not have been so exposed and defenseless.

It will be interesting to see how much the offense and receivers magically look better when Allen takes the field again.

They do need a legit backup who can at least manage a game, especially with how well we can run the ball. They don't have to be Josh, but they need to be a bit quicker on the trigger.

Have to be a few guys in street clothes out there better than what we have.

Edited by WideNine