Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 2

GunnerBill

That shed and tackle on the Pitt RB near the boundary was eye-popping though. 

50 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

OMG Coleman has not dropped anything.  If he had a decent qb playing with him these past two weeks he would have had two TD's.  He doesn't because of two horrendous throws.

He absolutely dropped a TD yesterday. It hit him in both hands - you have to catch that.

td-drop.jpg

In general, I'm thinking its going to take Coleman a little while to reach his potential. I don't see a rookie season wonder in him so far. Just watch him on all of his routes. Follow his routes even on plays where the ball doesn't go to him. I'm genuinely concerned about the lack of separation he is achieving. And then of course on the one play where he gets separation he drops the TD. 

Chalk it up to growing pains.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He absolutely dropped a TD yesterday. It hit him in both hands - you have to catch that.

td-drop.jpg

In general, I'm thinking its going to take Coleman a little while to reach his potential. I don't see a rookie season wonder in him so far. Just watch him on all of his routes. Follow his routes even on plays where the ball doesn't go to him. I'm genuinely concerned about the lack of separation he is achieving. And then of course on the one play where he gets separation he drops the TD. 

Both are true. He could have caught it, and it was an awful throw. 

Sure you can make the "drop" look worse by cropping out the other defender.

That ball needs to be low and in. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

td-drop.jpg

Sorry I disagree.  You might want to show where the safety is on that play.

if you want to see how to throw a tight window slant and protect your WR.

Go watch CJ Stroud throw that slant to Diggs yesterday, right between the numbers where only he can catch it and he can protect himself.

This idea that slants, particularly on the goal line are good throws when they are high and away and leading the wr into a safety is baffling to me.  

So if you hate coleman and the pick or you think it's a rookie thing or even worse the if you can get your hands on it you should catch it nonsense, then great.  We all see the the game a little different.  

Coleman ran a good route, was wide open and was expecting the ball in rhythm to be right on him and instead it was a knuckleball that was high and away and a classic medicine ball leading him right into contact.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

46 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Two weeks in a row Coleman has literally turtled when a defender is near him. Scared of being hit! He missed the TD last night, perfect throw in his hands. WTF are u watching?!? He will not start week 1 I bet. He can't separate and is scared to be hit. That's not good. We will see... but so far nothing.

Dude, I was (and still am) not a fan of the Coleman pick and I can’t put that pass on Coleman. That was another dog poop throw by Trubs. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Radar said:

GM's of any quality should hit on their first rounders and even second rounders. If not they should be unemployed.

Not one of the 10 commandments for GMs.

There can be failures in first round which have nothing to do with GMs / scouting failures including agents who help falsify records and players who once they get that initial money go crazy or lose interest. 

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Both are true. He could have caught it, and it was an awful throw. 

Sure you can make the "drop" look worse by cropping out the other defender.

That ball needs to be low and in. 

I didn't crop anything. That's the TV footage (they cropped it).

Here is another angle though. The defender 5 yards away has nothing to do with Coleman dropping or not dropping the pass. When you're an NFL WR, you have to catch that. Period, point blank. It has to be a catch.

Heck, as an NFL WR you have to catch that even if the defender is 1 yard away. 

coleman-drop-2.jpg

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Go watch CJ Stroud throw that slant to Diggs yesterday, right between the numbers where only he can catch it and he can protect himself.

You're talking about 2 different subjects and conflating them.

1 - The quarterbacks throw.
2 - The wide receivers lack of catch.

Should the throw have him been low and in? Sure. 

Does an NFL WR have to catch that slant that hit him right in the hands. YES.

You talk as if Coleman got popped on the play. He wasn't touched. 

You're even expected to catch it in college.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This idea that slants, particularly on the goal line are good throws when they are high and away and leading the wr into a safety is baffling to me.  

So if you hate coleman and the pick or you think it's a rookie thing or even worse the if you can get your hands on it you should catch it nonsense, then great.  We all see the the game a little different.  

Coleman ran a good route, was wide open and was expecting the ball in rhythm to be right on him and instead it was a knuckleball that was high and away and a classic medicine ball leading him right into contact.  

Remember, you’re arguing with the smartest man in history…

• Haha (+1) 2

We played right after the Chiefs

Worthy had two big plays.  One where he should’ve been called for an obvious false start and another off broken coverage.   But those plays happened, and we saw what he can be. 

Keon, through two games, has two catches against off coverage.  He actually ran a fantastic route that should’ve been an easy pitch & catch TD and we all feel better about him.   Instead, Trubisky throws a wobbly hospital ball, that technically you want your WR to make the play on, but is in no way an easy catch and likely ends up with his day being over after the Safety obliterates him.  

And here we are.. still wondering what we have after Shakir & Samuel. 

I hope MVS is ok, because I at least know he can make plays.. not so sure about anyone else right now.   Piss poor backup QB play in games has definitely shaken my view of this room and I can’t tell if that’s fair or not.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

We played right after the Chiefs

Worthy had two big plays.  One where he should’ve been called for an obvious false start and another off broken coverage.   But those plays happened, and we saw what he can be. 

Keon, through two games, has two catches against off coverage.  He actually ran a fantastic route that should’ve been an easy pitch & catch TD and we all feel better about him.   Instead, Trubisky throws a wobbly hospital ball, that technically you want your WR to make the play on, but is in no way an easy catch and likely ends up with his day being over after the Safety obliterates him.  

And here we are.. still wondering what we have after Shakir & Samuel. 

I hope MVS is ok, because I at least know he can make plays.. not so sure about anyone else right now.   Piss poor backup QB play in games has definitely shaken my view of this room and I can’t tell if that’s fair or not.  

On the play where Trubisky threw the inerception Coleman was wide open down the sideline, looked like cover two, mabye four but he was right in between in the sweet spot of the corner and the safety.

if he gets thrown the ball there he probably just has to beat the safety and he scores.  

Unfortunately he wasn't thrown the ball.  When the all 22 is available I will grab the play and post it.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Remember, you’re arguing with the smartest man in history…

Hey Cool. 

If you don't like me that is perfectly fine.  It's noted and I will go about my day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Hey Cool. 

If you don't like me that is perfectly fine.  It's noted and I will go about my day.

Don't let him bother you. He just thinks he is funny but doesn't realize it comes off poorly. He is talking about me.

• Like (+1) 1

Good Night

-Greg Rousseau and the starting defensive line

-Joe Andreessen---some may say, it's just preseason...but you can't teach those football instincts. Kid definitely made the roster, imo, and will fight for playing time in     the regular season (before Milano's return).

-Quinton Morris and the TEs. Knox had a nice grab; Morris had a couple of nice grabs and a couple of excellent special teams tackles; and Davidson looked fleet and natural on a really nice out play.

-Taron Johnson looked like he was already in mid-season form

-The RBs. Cook looked good in limited action. Davis was impressive. And Evans and Gore, Jr. were both gashing the Steelers 3rd and 4th teams.

-Ja'Marcus Ingram. Nose for the ball, sure tackling, played hard.

-Daequan Hardy. I wouldn't say he was electric in the return game, but he looked steadier than anyone else we've put out there, and showed a little juice. Also showed well in coverage and got his hands on a few balls. Could keep the team from having to keep a returner at a different position.

Bad Night

-Mitch Trubisky

-Alec Anderson

Unfortunately, the way the game went, the weather, the QBs, etc. we didn't get to see much from our WRs or our Safeties. Two positions of concern. The game didn't make me worry more about either position, but I was hoping to see a bit more of where we actually are there. Guess we have to keep waiting to see. But, as far as the WRs go, without Josh, Kincaid, or Samuel in the game, it was hard to make any inferences really. The other position I was worried about was LBer. But with how Andreessen, Williams, and Jones played, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable that one (or more) of them can hold down the fort next to Bernard until Milano's return.

Brandon Beane was exposed last night for the awful decision to bring back Trubisky. If the criteria for signing a former QB is Josh’s comfort level with a buddy observing the game from the sidelines, that’s not good enough. He’s ponderous making decisions in the pocket and has to have zero confidence after being an abject failure when handed the starting job in Pitt. His new additions on defense however ,(Hardy, Andreeson, Soloman) looked solid. I also like Zack Davidson and those practice squad RBs(Gore and Evan’s) along with the drafted center and Grable on the O-line. I can only hope Josh stays healthy for 17 games.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think it would be foolish to trade Knox. More likely, I think, as some have already suggested, they might should only keep 5 WRs, and 4 TEs.

SHOULD.   They only have 3 WR's of any consequence.   Hollins is just a special teamer.   Nobody would have been surprised if MVS was nothing more than a practice squad player this year given how his career turned for the worse last season.   They are at the point where they are looking for retired players to come back to the NFL.  Wow.   I fully expect Will Fuller to be in for a tryout next. 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

this might be true but not sure what it has to do with what I said.

The fastest man in the universe wasn't catching that ball last night.  Coleman was wide open.  A good ball and he scores there and people today are talking about the good route he ran to get inside the defender and make himself look like a huge target, he was wide open. 

If Allen is playing I believe Coleman has a TD in the back of the endzone last week and has an easy pitch and catch on that slant last night for a TD. 

I stand by exactly what I said.  It was a bad throw and a huge miss to a wide open wr who won his slant route.

There is nothing and no one that will change my mind it was a bad throw.  If you think that was a good throw then fine we see NFL football much differently.

Baldinger is inept in not mentioning if Coleman extends he gets destroyed by the safety in a preseason game. Terrible throw.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

If only he would spend this kind of capital on the offensive side of the ball. Mainly the WR room. You know, to give the best QB this team has ever had, a plethora of options. Instead we get no hands MVS, black sheep of the league Claypool, and a WR that they loved so much they traded down twice to get him. SMH. 

Receivers and oline…

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

SHOULD.   They only have 3 WR's of any consequence.   Hollins is just a special teamer.   Nobody would have been surprised if MVS was nothing more than a practice squad player this year given how his career turned for the worse last season.   They are at the point where they are looking for retired players to come back to the NFL.  Wow.   I fully expect Will Fuller to be in for a tryout next. 😂

I am pretty sure they are just trying to get through camp with enough bodies to take reps and play these last two preseason games.  If MVS is going to miss the start of the season or longer I am pretty certain they will make a move of some kind to get a legitimate wr in who can play.  

To be clear I am not saying they are trading for Adams or lamb, just that they will probably move a late draft pick for a guy who might not make a roster somewhere and this allows the Bills to not have to fight in the waiver claim line.

me personally, If I am Bean I am on the phone every day with Schoen and bugging him about Slayton.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

td-drop.jpg

You purposely cut out the safety who was their to separate his head from his body if he extends to catch the ball

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Here is another angle though. The defender 5 yards away has nothing to do with Coleman dropping or not dropping the pass. When you're an NFL WR, you have to catch that. Period, point blank. It has to be a catch.

Heck, as an NFL WR you have to catch that even if the defender is 1 yard away. 

Should the throw have him been low and in? Sure. 

Does an NFL WR have to catch that slant that hit him right in the hands. YES.

You talk as if Coleman got popped on the play. He wasn't touched. 

When I watched the play in real time, I also thought that Coleman needs to make that catch. It looked like a pretty good throw, zipped in there. But, I also realized that he would have been lit up by the safety too.

On the TV coverage, they then showed the replay like 3 times from a couple of angles. Not only was the ball high and away (exposing the WR to get blown up by the  safety), on the last replay, you can also see that it was a bit of a wobbler/duck. And Coleman did get hit by the safety (#34) on the play, just one step after the ball first hits his hands. You can tell the defender held up a bit because he dropped the ball. But, if Coleman made that catch he definitely would have taken a big shot from that safety. You could say, he still has to make that grab, but it is the preseason. Does he or the team want him to risk that big of a hit in the 2nd quarter of a preseason game? Probably not. So, I am definitely not going to ding him for that play or worry too much that he's afraid of contact or whatever. That wasn't an issue for him in college, don't know why it would all of a sudden be a thing.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Terrible pass. Could have been caught but still God awful pass. Just hitting the hands is not enough if the ball is wobbling Iike a dead duck.

That said, so far Coleman has done little to assuage our worries that he is not a gamebreaker and not much more than a possession WR. If that is all he ends up really poor job by Beane to upgrade the WR group. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

GM's of any quality should hit on their first rounders and even second rounders. If not they should be unemployed.

Who are some of these quality GMs you have in mind?