Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 2

GunnerBill

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

?

This is a very average list outside of Josh. 

When 50% of 1st round picks bust, especially the later in the round which we have picked in the last 5 drafts, its a very impressive list.  Only one of them isn’t a starter.

Im not saying you but it seems posters on here think all 1st round picks value are the same.  We should expect the same type of production from the #28 pick as the #3 pick…just because they are a first rounder.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Good night:

- Concurring with Gunner on Andreessen, Rousseau, Davis, Grable.

- Oliver was consisently beating his man, just not as fast as Rousseau was.

- Dorian Williams was getting to the right place, just not as fast as Andreessen was.

- DaeQuil Hardy got hands on 3 passes. No picks, but that's being in the right place.

- None of the CB's could really look bad against those 2 tomato cans, but Benford also flashed a couple plays.

- Zach Davidson doesn't run routes like a TE, he spun the DB like a top with the break on his sideline reception. However,

- Quinton Morris got seemingly every target from Trubisky, made one nice catch, and several good special teams plays.

- Javon Solomon was in the backfield more often than not.

- Shakir didn't get much action, but if there was a QB who could get beyond the first read he was there all day.

Bad night:

- Still too much penalty. Mental errors.

- This means you Alec Anderson. You flashed a few times what you showed last year but the mental errors have to be sorted.

- Cook looked a lot like rookie Cook or Georgia Cook to me, dancing behind the line, and very arm-tacklable.

- Celebrate that sack, Kingsley Jonathan, memories are good to have in your later years (ask me how I know)

- Shavers didn't do much of anything either as a WR or gunner which is fine, except Shorter did quite a bit more at both.

- Did Epenesa's name even get called?

- McDermott for promising me 4 series of Josh. They're gonna be blue all week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can Andreessen play WLB if Dorian Williams doesn’t step up?  This would be one of my favorite Bills stories ever.

Dorian was pretty good last night, but then my eyes kept getting drawn to 44 who was having a Zach Thomas night.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can Andreessen play WLB if Dorian Williams doesn’t step up?  This would be one of my favorite Bills stories ever.

I think he could. I even think he might suit that better. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have explained it multiple times. He learned in Carolina under two GMs who taught him you draft defensive line early and often. I crunched the numbers again the other day. In his years as a senior exec with the Panthers they spent about 30% of day 1 and 2 picks on defensive line and about 50% on defensive front 7 and Beane's numbers are right around those spots too. 

Very little to show for the investment

Oliver is very good but not a top 10 talent

Rousseau has been injured and inconsistent.  He still could be great.

Epenesa is terrible. Basham gone.

Carter will take a few years to develop.

Edmunds was good but again for a first round pick he disappointed.

Bernard was a revelation last season. Have to see if he can repeat the performance. Williams hopefully steps up this year. Love his speed and hitting ability 

All this draft capital and they still had to spend millions on Miller,Jones, and Settle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

You don't know what the word average means. Do you think most players go to Pro Bowls regularly? 

That list wouldn’t know.

Tre White was prior to Beane’s time.

Edmunds went to 2 ProBowls and Beane let him walk rather than pay him. 

Oliver never made a Pro Bowl

Rousseau never made a Pro Bowl

Elam never made a Pro Bowl

Kincaid never made a Pro Bowl.

Of the first and second round picks Beane has made since signing on as GM (which is 10 non-Josh picks since 2018), there are 3 ProBowls total, and 2 of them were by a guy who we let walk and doesn’t play here no mo.

So yeah, that list is a who’s who of average, at best.

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When 50% of 1st round picks bust, especially the later in the round which we have picked in the last 5 drafts, its a very impressive list.  Only one of them isn’t a starter.

Im not saying you but it seems posters on here think all 1st round picks value are the same.  We should expect the same type of production from the #28 pick as the #3 pick…just because they are a first rounder.

They called that an “extremely good list” lol.

I think that’s a bridge too far.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Defense for the most part was great, Andreessen and Rousseau top the list ... Ingram had a nice night and probably has the #4 spot behind Elam locked up.

The RBs all looked good and got a lot of work because the QB play was so abysmal. Maybe with another week here they'll let DiNucci throw the ball but he appears to have a weak arm There's no excuse for Trubisky's game last night. If Josh misses any time they won't win a game with either of those two guys.

Davidson looked good but Morris looked just a bit better, maybe because he was Trubisky's go to guy. I'm starting to wonder if they'll keep both this year and trade Knox.

Bass made all 3 FG attempts but two of them were close to being wide right, I think my confidence in him is gone... In the immortal words of Dick Jauron "we punted well" ... Martin looked good.

I've given the new kickoff two games and that's enough for me ... I don't like it and don't see where it'll lessen the amount of injuries with everybody in the same place at the same time.

53 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

- Quinton Morris got seemingly every target from Trubisky, made one nice catch, and several good special teams plays.

Quinton Morris is third string backup and Trubisky is backup QB.  It is likely that like Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson they had some sort of connection which does not excuse Trubisky's overthrow when Morris was not even in position to catch it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Good list.

Rousseau had a funny night. I’ve been hard on him needing to step up as a pass rusher and he put on a show last night.

My only quibble is that I think he just did the same pass rush power move over and over and over? I have to rewatch but that’s what it looked like.

If the guy doesn’t have an answer for that move, why would you do others?

Maybe he’s just using his vanilla, pre-season moves 😅 

39 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That list wouldn’t know.

Tre White was prior to Beane’s time.

Edmunds went to 2 ProBowls and Beane let him walk rather than pay him. 

Oliver never made a Pro Bowl

Rousseau never made a Pro Bowl

Elam never made a Pro Bowl

Kincaid never made a Pro Bowl.

Of the first and second round picks Beane has made since signing on as GM (which is 10 non-Josh picks since 2018), there are 3 ProBowls total, and 2 of them were by a guy who we let walk and doesn’t play here no mo.

I appreciate you proving my point, you have no idea what average means. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Defense for the most part was great, Andreessen and Rousseau top the list ... Ingram had a nice night and probably has the #4 spot behind Elam locked up.

The RBs all looked good and got a lot of work because the QB play was so abysmal. Maybe with another week here they'll let DiNucci throw the ball but he appears to have a weak arm There's no excuse for Trubisky's game last night. If Josh misses any time they won't win a game with either of those two guys.

Davidson looked good but Morris looked just a bit better, maybe because he was Trubisky's go to guy. I'm starting to wonder if they'll keep both this year and trade Knox.

Bass made all 3 FG attempts but two of them were close to being wide right, I think my confidence in him is gone... In the immortal words of Dick Jauron "we punted well" ... Martin looked good.

I've given the new kickoff two games and that's enough for me ... I don't like it and don't see where it'll lessen the amount of injuries with everybody in the same place at the same time.

I think it would be foolish to trade Knox. More likely, I think, as some have already suggested, they might only keep 5 WRs, and 4 TEs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think it would be foolish to trade Knox. More likely, I think, as some have already suggested, they might only keep 5 WRs, and 4 TEs.

There is zero chance knox gets traded.  He is a core part of what the offense wants to do.

Its like saying we are going to trade cook because davis is here.  

They are in year 2 of building a physical running offense.  They finally have the parts to do it and I am baffled why people can not see this and think trading knox is an option of some sort.  

This kind of stuff and the reaction to the horrendous throw on the endzone backside slant to coleman last night leaves me pretty perplexed as to what people are seeing or not seeing when they watch the games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Dorian was pretty good last night, but then my eyes kept getting drawn to 44 who was having a Zach Thomas night.

Even some of Dorian’s good plays were actually caused by Andreesson diagnosing and then blowing up the play (and Dorian cleaning up).

2 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

His first round picks, are Tre White, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmonds, Ed Oliver, Rousseau, Elam, and Kincaid. That is an extremely good list even not counting Diggs as the other pick. I won't say no other GM has been that good l, but few ever run it that well.

GM's of any quality should hit on their first rounders and even second rounders. If not they should be unemployed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Brandon beane doesn't belong on this list, because if you can't nail top two round picks regularly, what's the point?

That's how you end up with a "good" roster that lacks game changing talent.

Otherwise, this is a decent enough list 

I will say, however, it seems he knows how to draft and find tight ends, which is a plot twist 

You guys are way to hard on Brandon Beane, here are his 1st and 2nd round picks.  He has far more hits then misses.  Nailing the QB selection

Hits:

Tre White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmunds

Ed Oliver

AJ Epenesa

Greg Rousseau

James Cook

Dalton Kincaid

O'Cyrus Torrence

Misses:

Kaiir Elam <---let's hope he shows something this year

Cody Ford

Boogie Basham

Edited by 86poker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

McDermott failed from jump. His decision to not play Josh a single snap gave the second half to DiNucci  by default but he didn’t plan on Trubisky crapping the bed and hurting himself. Now we need another QB AND didn’t get the first team any meaningful reps against an AFC contender. 

I tend to agree … i think McProcess turtled, operating out of fear of injury and in doing so, hamstrung the player assessment and development process 

• Awesome! (+1) 1