Ray Davis

12 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Him and Frank Gore Jr both ran pretty hard/well. Both are worth keeping 

Gore worth keeping on the PS I assume?  I’d be ok with that, but no way he should make the roster over Johnson imo.  I’d rather keep Evans over gore as well.  He’s proven he can make plays

Leading up to the draft I wanted the Bills to get either Davis or Braelon Allen as a bigger complement to Cook. While I've be happy with Ray thus far, reports have been calling the Jets getting Allen in the 5th one of the steals of the draft. It's still early, so hopefully Ray can continue to show out and overtake Allen as the real steal! Ray's not as big as Allen, but he seems to be a much better receiver. Over time, I'm very hopeful that Ray will be more productive than Allen.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have zero concerns at RB. All of them are serviceable in the modern NFL. The success or failure of this offense rides on the middle of the OL and the entire WR group.

I think the offensive line will be fine so to speak, I do have concerns about Edwards but I am hoping that SVPG can grind his way up as the season progresses and they can plug him in at center and move McGovern back to Guard. But even in the event that doesn't happen I still think Edwards is a serviceable guard.

The WR group on the other hand is where I really do wonder if this team has enough. I think Shakir is a stud and he's gonna be a good player, I think Samuel is a nice WR3 but not a second consistent WR option the offense needs. Keon I think will be a contributor but I don't think he's gonna have that rare Zay Flowers/Jordan Addision type rookie impact (I think the Nacua rookie year was a complete outlier) from a WR drafted not super high up. 

I don't really have much faith in Hollins as being anything other than a slightly more productive Sherfield. MVS is hurt and wasn't much of anything to begin with other than maybe a WR4 deep threat who can make a big play every few games. The rest are mostly not inspiring. I do think that the Bills will consider making a trade deadline move at WR if the production is lackluster but there isn't always a huge "needle mover" available. 

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have said this before, but reminds me of a young Travis Henry. 

Davis is broke, went to prison and has 10 kids by 10 different women?

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Gore worth keeping on the PS I assume?  I’d be ok with that, but no way he should make the roster over Johnson imo.  I’d rather keep Evans over gore as well.  He’s proven he can make plays

The issue with the practice squad is players have to agree to it.

I just wonder if Gore will look at the 3 backs (maybe 4) ahead of him and think there is more opportunity elsewhere and not want to sign onto the bills practice squad

I wonder if Davis will outsnap Cook by week 8.  The reason Cook gets so much heat is because he drives people crazy with almost one dropped touchdown per game.  It's not like he is dropping hard catches either, it seems like a lack of concentration.  Stuff like that is not what a true professional does.  

21 minutes ago, notpolian said:

I wonder if Davis will outsnap Cook by week 8.  The reason Cook gets so much heat is because he drives people crazy with almost one dropped touchdown per game.  It's not like he is dropping hard catches either, it seems like a lack of concentration.  Stuff like that is not what a true professional does.  

Knox had that issue when he started - dropped easy ones and made specular ones easily.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Better than Ray Charles 😏

Likely sees the holes better.

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone else here think James Cook may be one of the slowest running backs to the opening they have ever seen?   It seems like it takes him forever and a day to get to the hole and then somehow he is able to get out of the initial contact.  

The counter to that is that "patience" is also considered a good running back trait. Our strengths are also our weaknesses.

8 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Davis and Ty Johnson both looked great last night! Ty hit the hole hard and they even re-played his hit on the Steelers LB where he crunched the LB for an extra 2 yards. Ty is the #2 no doubt in my mind and Brady knows it too. Davis will grow into #3 and eventually #2 if he can do what he did last night in a real game. We know Ty already can.

The story is that the Bills O-line played well and all the running backs (including Evans and Gore) looked good. It was a predictable performance by the blockers after we and everyone else roasted them after the Bears game.

4 hours ago, Flipnmi said:

Leading up to the draft I wanted the Bills to get either Davis or Braelon Allen as a bigger complement to Cook. While I've be happy with Ray thus far, reports have been calling the Jets getting Allen in the 5th one of the steals of the draft. It's still early, so hopefully Ray can continue to show out and overtake Allen as the real steal! Ray's not as big as Allen, but he seems to be a much better receiver. Over time, I'm very hopeful that Ray will be more productive than Allen.   

The one component the Bills still lack is a big power back.

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Isn't Ray Davis the lead dude of The Kinks? 🙂

I think so... he and Chrissie Hynde had a daughter together, right?

21 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The most important thing he does better than Cook is he immediately attacks the hole, rather than dance around like James.

The most important thing he does is pass protect.  Cook is useless in pass pro

On 8/18/2024 at 10:40 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If the ball hits the ground less with him (drops/fumbles) I think he could be RB1B by the end of the year. 

Should be by the end of week 4.

9 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Jeff Tuel and Nate Peterman also dominated in second halves of preseason games.

No they didn’t.

9 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Jeff Tuel and Nate Peterman also dominated in second halves of preseason games.

I literally have avoided most of the preseason for that exact reason. Great to have football back but it is so meaningless. 

• 2 weeks later...

From the streets of San Francisco to graduating from Vanderbilt, drafted by the Bills in the Spring and making it to the 53-man roster   What a story for this young man.  Hats off to him for persevering through everything he has gone through and to get to this position.  

I am going to be rooting for this guy to succeed and be a long time Buffalo Bill.   I can see very easily Josh Allen connecting with Davis and making him our feature back by end of the season.